Etc.

מה מומלץ?

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:21 am

Interesting question. I have thought about it often, and these are my ideas (feel free to rip them apart if you do not agree)

Sharp edges need shorter fins, as the edge grips better, and thus has less drag (if the fins really make that much drag), and thus will give you more speed....

On the other hand, sharp edges, are less forgiving, as every little mistake, like too much preassure on the wrong edge, will end in a slap in the face, from the water.... but this makes them more responsive, as every little mmovement, catching some edge will cause a reaction....

Personally I like staying as far upwind of everyone else as I can, so I love sharp edges, as they get you upwind nicely (as long as you know what you are doing). Reasons to learn to stay or go far upwind - more jumps, and less battling to get back upwind; Steering clear of out of control people, flying or bouncing down wind.

I think sharp edges will definately have an advantage for jumping, as the higher you jump is directly related to the amount of time you can hold your edge, before being ripped into the air by the kite (assuming you are doing everything else right) and sharp edges, will hold the edge longer, easier.

Planning I would say does not matter, unless you go back to the fact that every little mistake can cause a wipeout.

Chop and surf. Rounded edges, will be more forgiving and easier;

Overall, I want a board that takes me upwind easily, and holds and edge well for boosting big jumps, unless you are into wave riding, and then you should probably move countries, as we dont have much of that here. Basically you need to be cofortable on what you ride, and why you ride it...

mossi
Medium Poster

Postby mossi » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:28 pm

I guess you are right in regards tothe fins. you will never see a windsurf with sharp edges.

so, what is your recommendation for first TT?

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:30 pm

I don't think it really makes that much difference. All the TTs today are pretty much the same shape and there are a few varying sizes. I think most important is to get the right size for your weight, but generally, unless you are 100kgs or more, a 165cm TT will do you fine.

If you are a decent snowboarder, skatebaoarder, or have a lot of windsurfing experience, or if you know that you are the co-ordinated, sporty type, and you will catch on fast, then you may even want to look at a slightly smaller board.

Get some lessons, before you buy, as the people teaching you will have boards, so you will pick up the basics, and then feel, or they will recommend where you should go from there.

Andi

Return to “Kitesurfing”