Royal Solo or HT2

Forum for kitesurfers
doc
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Royal Solo or HT2

Postby doc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Can anyone give me some pointers on Royals solo v Hyper type2.Found some good deals on both(not on the Era though).
Using HT1 at the moment,best kite i've owned in 7 years kiting ,like the grunt ,upwind performance and the fact kite just sits there.Not that keen on the slight delay on steering (12m) and lack of feed back.Got a Rebel 9m too and although its fun needs alot of imput.
Been on a surf board this year (south coast uk so nothing to write home about!) and thinking my rag doll days are behind me.
cheers for the advice

graphik
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Royal Solo or HT2

Postby graphik » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:35 pm

The Solo has less grunt that the Era for sure, but both are stable kites, although I've heard that Royal increased stability and performance for the 09 Era's. The Era is a jumper and the Solo has softer power. I have both the Solo and Era and I love them both for different reasons. If Jumping is your thing, go Era, if cruising if preferred, go with the Solo. I used to have the 07 Rebel and far prefer the Solo over it. After changing to 4 lines, I prefer it to the 5th. The Solo has great de-power at the bar, it's a decently fast turning kite (i think the Era is faster though), has awesome wind range and is really stable in the air. I have both an 11 and 13 meter Solo and the 11 is my go to kite. On the 148 board, I can ride the 11 when others are on 14's. The Solo likes to go upwind, and upwind body drags like crazy. I can't comment on the Hyper Type, but I can say that I'm totally happy with the Solo.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 pm

Never tried the Solo.
Had the Era then changed to HT2 and now have RRD Obsession (awesome awesome kite).
I prefer the HT2 over the Era. I know you asked against the Solo, but hopefully better than no answer :bye:

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 pm

forgot to add ,the deal is a 9m & 13m solo or a 9m &12 HT2.i'm 90kg and don't even start looking at the wind stats till 15knts .ride a chop top a converse and sometimes my jimmy lewis tt 133 .
thanks for the quick replies already

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:04 am

I used to ride the hyertype I's and from what I understand the Hyper 2's were pretty similar. Now I have a 9 / 13 quiver of Royal Solo's. I would say the Solo 13 is a little better than the Hyper 12 but no way near the Hyper 15. The Hyper 15 was a absolute light wind monster.

If your looking for low end the hyper's will start a bit sooner. I have ridden my Solo 13 in 13mph wind on my 135x47 lite wind killer board but I am only 170lbs. At your weight I would recommend the Hyper 15. It's a big gap but you could get away with a 9/15 quiver. The biggest solo is a 13 if your board is wide enough you may be able to ride it down to 15mph.

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:42 pm

hi nukin ,thanx for that .whats the performance differnce of the 2 kites ,upwind ,turning ,depower etc.cheers for your time

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Post subject: Re: Royal Solo or HT2

hi nukin ,thanx for that .whats the performance differnce of the 2 kites ,upwind ,turning ,depower etc.cheers for your time

Well comparing the HT 1 to the Royal I would say -

Upwind - equal
turning speed - the Hypers turn faster, pivot around the axis more. The Royals turn with more power in the loop and can be tuned with a back bridal line adjustment. The 9m hyper almost turns too fast and it could seem twitchy if you are not used to a fast kite.
Depower - Solo's seem to have a bit more range.
Jumping - seem to be about the same - HT more vertical and Solo more glide.

I'm sure the HT2 was a improvement over the HT1, from what I understand it was tuned to be a bit more stable at 12:00. The big + for the solo's are the lack of pulley to wear through the bridal line. It offers direct attachment to the bridal. Other than that they both have one pump and are solid kites. You can't go wrong with either one.

doc
Frequent Poster

Postby doc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

thanks for that! u cant beat the hyper for grunt ,but does the solo have any though?

Return to “Kitesurfing”