Forum for kitesurfers
bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

When to pop for boosting big?

Postby bavdrftr318 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:10 am

I'm just getting the timing better for boosting huge. This is my technique I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I get alot of speed keeping the kite around 45 degrees, pull the back hand and right when the kite is lifting me up I pop off the water. I feel like I could be doing this too early though. Is it better to pop off the water just before you get the big yank from the kite or at the same exact time as the kite starts to pull?

nj kiter
Medium Poster

Re: When to pop for boosting big?

Postby nj kiter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:27 am

i would also like to know more about this. i have been kiteboarding for 2 years and i still cant go very high. but the days i have broken 20 feet, i was on c kites, also riding overpowered. i have also noticed if you were going to jump over land and you have to edge hard upwind to reach the land you want to jump. that seems to load the kite better because i have done that exact thing, and have gone high. but i really don't know, i rarely go over 10 feet. maybe a friend (batman) of mine would see this and tell us all about it.

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:49 am

My experience so far....

Speed - Fast
Kite position to start - 10 or 2 o'clock
Kite position just before you jump - 1 or 11 o'clock
Pop - Time it so you are edging hardest just as the kite takes you off the water
Depower - As depowered as you can without losing speed. Pull in as soon as you leave the water. Remember to sheet out as you go up so the kite flies better for your landing

My experience has been when you get these things just right, you will go up. A common mistake I see which people pay for is taking the kite too far back. You may pendulum up a bit but you will get more vertical height with proper technique.

Wait till you hit one right and as you are going up you get a gust and get what I call the elevator effect. It's the secondary boost from a gust.

GungaDin
Medium Poster

Postby GungaDin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 am

15 feet is a standard jump
20 feet is a good jump.
Winds have to get strong to start exceeding that.
Smaller kites typically make jumping high easier, although landings become faster
1. Speed is your friend in lighter winds
2. Speed is not your friend in stronger winds; good edge will count for more than speed as the wind increases
3. Hold your edge absolutely as long as you can....release milliseconds before you cannot hold it any longer.
4. Sheet in after take off, make sure to keep pulling in all the way
5. Contrary to other poster do not sheet out (partially) until on the way down and line tension reestablished.
6. I overfly the kite to good effect, although I guess it's possible to overdue it.

You mileage may vary!

J

J

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 am

My tip would be to learn how to unhook and pop with the kite low. For example learn how to do decent raileys. This will help you immensly on getting the perfect pop also for your "standard" hooked jumps.

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 pm

this is true

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 pm

GungaDin wrote:15 feet is a standard jump
20 feet is a good jump.
Winds have to get strong to start exceeding that.
Smaller kites typically make jumping high easier, although landings become faster
1. Speed is your friend in lighter winds
2. Speed is not your friend in stronger winds; good edge will count for more than speed as the wind increases
3. Hold your edge absolutely as long as you can....release milliseconds before you cannot hold it any longer.
4. Sheet in after take off, make sure to keep pulling in all the way
5. Contrary to other poster do not sheet out (partially) until on the way down and line tension reestablished.
6. I overfly the kite to good effect, although I guess it's possible to overdue it.

You mileage may vary!

J

J
I dont agree with no "5" !

Be careful not to sheet to far in - but let the kite "fly" faster by releasing just a tad when up there...

Then you can sheet in to get more hangtime on the way down, and for a soft landing (if you are ONLY going for a high jump, and not loops nor speed in the landing etc)

But it depends on your "normal" trim setting.

I always want my kites to be able to stall, when fully sheeted :D

This way I have more control in EVERY situation, and can utilize the kite performance to the max - giving more low end in REALLY light conditions, and having the ability to land really gentle by almost stalling, and you can also park the kite very low in the window on purpose, when waveriding down the line :thumb:

Most others trim the kite so they can just pull the bar fully without thinking or feeling - but I dont like that, because it takes the extra "edge" you can get when you know how to, out of the ride :(

Meaning - in reality I think you both agree (mobettah and GungaDin), as your kites might have a very similar trim in the air.

But I find a huge advantage in letting the kite gain speed when up in the air, as this does not really decrease "real" max lift although you have lower lift coefficient (because the extra speed gives more lift), and you suddenly have a lot of options, because the kite is much more agile and fast, so you can turn much faster, and decide where and how to land (fast with speed, or really soft floating down).
This is not possible if your kite is "parked" on max lift coefficient with lower speed :wink:

Timing is everything.

You probably take off too early for going huge...
Keep the edge as long as possible ! And when you've mastered that, learn how to "pop" at the exact same time as you need to release from the water.
You can not "think" how you have to do it :o
You have to practice, and "feel" when you get it right, thats the only solution IMO :P

Kindly, Peter Frank

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Some helpful stuff there, thanks, guys. Am getting about 15ft when well powered on my 10m but must admit to being a bit lazy and relying more on the the kite than edging hard and getting pop at the same time. Will try harder next time and try the techniques above.

:thumb:

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm

lucie wrote:Some helpful stuff there, thanks, guys. Am getting about 15ft when well powered on my 10m but must admit to being a bit lazy and relying more on the the kite than edging hard and getting pop at the same time. Will try harder next time and try the techniques above.

:thumb:
Nah... it's just that Cabbie kite you got... keeps you anchored to the ocean's surface with a 15 ft jump ceiling.
:rollgrin:

C'mon over to the FreakDog side and feel no limits. :naughty:

If you feel like wearing a parachute, you're jumping too high.... other wise keep trying.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 am

i dont really feel like a wakestyle pop and a loaded edge for boosting is the same thing

pop results from a quick motion somewhere between ollieing a skateboard and leaning directly back between your heels.

Loading for a boost though is more about setting a strong edge that doesnt kill your speed (leaning back but not edging excessively up wind) but allows you to stay on the water for as long as possible building up line tension before you are finally ripped off the water.

Pop is a fast motion, loading up for a jump is alot slower because it occurs the whole time as the kite is moving accross the window for the jump.

build speed, get the kite to the appropriate spot based on how powered you are (got to feel it sort off), set your edge, send the kite, hold yourself down using the displaced water, as the kite flies past the zeneth release the edge and jump up sort of.

its all timing

another way to get more hight is to jump a wave or large piece of chop

Return to “Kitesurfing”