Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding Costa Rica?

Postby Cavamondo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

How is Costa Rica for Kiteboarding?

Im thinking about moving to the north of south america for a year os so, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Caribian .. but im most keen on Costa Rica ...

How is the season on Costa Rica, is it wind all year? Im thinking it also includes some rainy season, but as long as its warm and windy, its all good.

Does anyone has a thorough local knowledge of Kiteboarding/spots/beaches?

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Re: Kiteboarding Costa Rica?

Postby jatkinson » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Two main spots are Copal on the North Coast and Arenal. I believe the main season is North American winter. Bring VERY small kites (like 5-6m) cause it is nuking most of the time.

Have fun

Cavamondo
Medium Poster

Postby Cavamondo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am

So there is an off season or ?? .. according to windguru.cz, the wind isnt that good there at all. Now, windguru has been known to be wrong from time to time, can someone confirm either?

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Postby jatkinson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:42 am

Check with kitewindsurf.com

I know they run camps down there and have as much local knowledge as anyone I can think of off the top of my head. If you are looking for somewhere to stay and people to hang with they are a good crew. Stayed with them a few years ago.

JJ

volatile
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Crandon Park, Matheson Hammock
Favorite Beaches: Crandon
Style: Wake
Gear: 09' Slingshot Fuel 11m
09' Slingshot Lunacy 132cm
08' Liquid Force Vantage Bindings

Postby volatile » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:20 am

I have been to Playa Copal on the northern coast and it is a sweet location. Huge protected bay with flat water. It does have a season and unfortunately I missed it. I heard it blows 25-35 for months at that spot. You may want to fly into a northern aiport vs the long hike from San Jose.

Cavamondo
Medium Poster

Postby Cavamondo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:22 am

Thx ^^

paul m
Frequent Poster
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

Postby paul m » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:21 am

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:09 pm

yes...playa copal rocks! the wind is nonstop and insane. bring your whole quiver. i am currently instructing here with www.bluedreamhotel.com

if you are on facebook, you can read my travel review about it at:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=5 ... opic=15199

there is also mancora, peru from may-ish to nov-ish. also some stuff in panana, but have not been there.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Playa copal is a second grade kiteboarding destination. If you happen to be there anyway, think about taking a kite. If you plan a kiteboarding vacation, look elsewhere.

Search this forum for playa copal, a lot was written. I was there in season, 50% wind days, 15% too windy days (40+), no beach in very high tide (water goes 3 feet from barb wire fence in the north of the beach), wind is the gustiest you will ever encounter on the water, gustier than inland winds.

Nicola Bertoldi has a local school, rent and hostel. He is a great person, amazing big air rider (big air as in crazy huge air), and excellent teacher that teaches in tons of languages. Super nice guy. The location however, not a bargain.

frefel
Rare Poster

Postby frefel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:07 am

schmoe wrote:Playa copal is a second grade kiteboarding destination. If you happen to be there anyway, think about taking a kite. If you plan a kiteboarding vacation, look elsewhere.

Search this forum for playa copal, a lot was written. I was there in season, 50% wind days, 15% too windy days (40+), no beach in very high tide (water goes 3 feet from barb wire fence in the north of the beach), wind is the gustiest you will ever encounter on the water, gustier than inland winds.

I appreciate this candid criticism of Playa Copal as I am trying to put together a kiteboarding trip for sometime this Spring and to some location other than Maui/Hawaii where I go once a year anyway. Playa Copal looked economical and has some great reviews but after reading between the lines I also was wondering if it might be too wild for my barely intermediate skills.

I was also looking at South Padre Island but equipment rental and lesson time is Expensive ($65/hr just for gear). I would save $1000 for a week going to Costa Rica than to Texas.

Does anybody have other suggestions for a kite destination in some warm clime where I could be fairly sure of wind and afford to spend a lot of hours in the water, which is what I need at this point?

Thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”