All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:49 pm 
Is the RRD type 4.1 a good kite to start with?
If it is, what size should I choose?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I don't know about the new 4.1, but the old wasn't that good. But they have improved.
The best size to start with is about 12 sqm surface area.
Depending on your weight and winds maybe a 10 sqm would do as well.
Let us more about the conditions you want to start in and your weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:06 pm 
Frequent Poster

Last years type 4 are great kites. Its funny how diffent people have different takes on the various makes of kites. I have been flying the 4's for a year now and i love them all (8.9,11.9 and 14.9) The type 4.1 look heaps better than the 4's as you would expect and RRD tended to deveope the kites over the coarse of last year with there been a fair bit of diference in the 4's produced around may last year and the 4's that came out around January.

A have tried a few other brands (demo's, freinds, shops) and always felt more comfortable on the RRD's. Personal opion and i am sure this is the same for most other brand loyal riders.

Any of the mid aspect four liners would be suitable to start on. Take a few lessons and get out there and have fun.

It was interesting watch the growth of the sport here in West Oz over the summer and i noticed that the new guys/girls that made the most progress last year started on 4 liners and big twins. People that started on higher aspect (airush, wippy AB) tended to get spanked hard in the first few weeks with a couple of them changing out kites. Two liners and big directionals made good progress in the first few weeks but then they tended to tapper off as they went out in high winds. This is just a causal observation of the newbies and not a full on detailed people watching fetish.

cheers shane

[ 3 posts ]