Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Reel leash that lost my board today.

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:03 am

Piece of shit! Actually, the SURF NUT sold by Naish in Hawaii is not a completely bad unit. Sure, there have been minor complaints about sand, but some of you live on rocky coasts. I make sure I rinse mine. The part - I should have seen it! - is the ferdampt fricking little dog leash hook.

The son of dog shit let go about 800M out in the Atlantic this afternoon. Now my mutiant - style HAMMER board with the Koch straps and pretty UP stickers is now floating away. (the wind switched from due side shore to side/offshore and kicked from 15/20mph to 20+)
G o d D a m m i t !

I started to do the hand-out-drag routine but the board was purple/brown...straps black... There's no way I'd see it in that mild chop - especially maybe even upside down. I hate shit that wasn't thought out and especially since I should have seen the defect myself!

A few minutes after I got back to the shop I changed the dog leash clip to a proper damn marine fastener. I don't dislike the concept of a reel leash. In fact I like it compared to the old ankle leashes I've worn for years surfing. I'll continue to use it - I just won't ever forgive it for tossing away a really good board.

Jim

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:14 am

Sorry that happened to you. Thanks for including the photos to demonstrate the clip that failed. However, could you please clarify which photo is which?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:51 am

The clip that comes with the surf nut is in the main photo and it failed. The clip in the inset photo is a sold marine fitting that should not fail.

I personally stopped using my surf nut because of problems with sand jamming it often. I have gone back to the Reel Leash product.

Chris G

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:53 pm

Was it the clip itself that failed? I mean did it leave part of it remaining?
Or does it look like it just opened up and let the board go?

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:21 am

I also use the Surf Nut Reel Leash. My only complaint after a few months of using it is that the clip tends to bang me in the knee as I ride through chop. Actually, I think it's more the 1 3/8" diameter brass ring that the clip attaches to. In any case, I see that you've upgraded to a better clip but it's also bigger and heavier looking. Have you (or anyone else) ever had that problem and does your replacement clip make that problem worse?

:cool:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:53 am

hey phree!

just take a strap or [hey man - what's the word for 'nautic rope' ?] with about 1m length to fit it on your board. the nut's still pulled out a few centimeters, bul won't bang your knee anymore.

greetz

murdoc

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:29 pm

Anonymous #1 shows a big problem this sport has: a large chunk of us can't tell what's good and what's not. Maybe, including the great work Rick Iossi is doing on safety, there should be a site that charts gear failures. ...but not me!

I've got future commercial prospects that'd I rather not put in jeopardy. It's bad enough to blow stinky farts at Naish HI for selling this.

Needless to say; I didn't exactly see the event - but the clip was quite intact when it reeled back in. ...just left the board in the Atlantic. I suspect the finger got the right pressure at the right angle. If you don't have the $$ for a better clip - grind off the finger. ...but then; How you goona get it on?

I never noticed the brass ring banging my leg (I'm still new enough that I'd not notice a large shark following me...) It's gone now anyway - so I will switch to webbing and smaller S.S. ring for my other boards.

.....not all is bad: I found a small mutant shaped by Underground for a good price.

Enjoy your weekend.

Jim
UP
kite lines

.....free stickers - all day - every day.

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:27 am

Thanks Murdoc. Are you talking about Spectra line? Maybe I will try that at some point. Sounds like changing out the clip might be my first priority, though. I wonder if anyone else has had the Surf Nut clip come open unexpectedly. Come to think of it, I know a guy who might shed some light on this subject. I'll check in with him and post any helpful info here. Laters~

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:00 pm

I checked with a really good source who gave some good feedback on the Surf Nut. He said there were a few earlier ones that had a different brand of stainless steel clasps, and they didnt close as well as the ones used now. With those older ones, it was possible the clasp was not closed initially, and could open up unexpectedly. If the clasp was manually pressed closed, then they did not open. The newer ones dont do that. Also, the newer ones have a blue colored urethane leader from the board that are stronger than the old ones. He suggested that Jim's stainless replacement clip should be fine as long as the return spring was also stainless. Apparantly, sometimes even though the clip is stainless, the return spring isn't. Hope this helps~

PMad
Medium Poster

Postby PMad » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:04 pm

I also lost a board due to a failing reel leash system :sad:((

The fastener/hook was fine, what failed was the leash connection to the hook. This happpened to me despite very regular rinse and care I give to my equipment.

Just my 2 cents,

Return to “Kitesurfing”