Favorite Beaches: La Boca
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha, Underground, F-one, Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lake somerset Vermont

Postby Nugget » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Guys,
I am going to be going to Mt Snow next weekend for a few days and I am looking to go snowkiting. Does anyone know if the Somerset Resevoir is good and how often? Any info on this spot and others in the area would be greatly appreciated.

skiyak777
Medium Poster

Re: Lake somerset Vermont

Postby skiyak777 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:21 am

I'll most likely hit Somerset reservoir or Harriman reservoir on Saturday. Never kited either place, but I've spent a lot of time wakeboarding on Harriman and there is a middle section down wind from the Searsburg wind farm that gets consistent wind (may be turbulent, as the reservoir is about 500 feet below the hilltop) from the west, what is predicted for Sat.

There is no easy road access to Somerset, so its a hike in or there's a snowmobile trail along the south end. Does anyone know if snowmobiles are allowed on the reservoir? I'd guess not, as its drinking water. It would be nice if the snow wasn't all chopped into frozen ruts by sledheads.

freezorburn
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby freezorburn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Yes,

Snowmobiles are allowed on the lake. You guys want to ride Somerset? I'm Up for it this weekend. I have a VT registered snowmobile and tow rope.

I could do a late start Saterday morning 10:00 am. North end of the lake Parking lot We can tow in.

PM me with your Phone # and lets make it happen!

Nugget
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New York
Favorite Beaches: La Boca
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha, Underground, F-one, Mystic

Postby Nugget » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Guys thanks for the info. We wont be going up until next Saturday. Do you think you guys will be around then to kite with us? Please report conditions if you go this weekend!

skiyak777
Medium Poster

Postby skiyak777 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

freezorburn wrote:Yes,

Snowmobiles are allowed on the lake. You guys want to ride Somerset? I'm Up for it this weekend. I have a VT registered snowmobile and tow rope.

I could do a late start Saterday morning 10:00 am. North end of the lake Parking lot We can tow in.

PM me with your Phone # and lets make it happen!
I've got a sled too- I'll probably see you out there tomorrow.

freezorburn
Medium Poster

Postby freezorburn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 pm

skiyak777 wrote: I've got a sled too- I'll probably see you out there tomorrow.
You have mail.

freezorburn
Medium Poster

Postby freezorburn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm

Rode with skiyak777 Saterday,

Gusty North by North West wind had problems riding the north end of the lake becuase of wind shadows but the middle of the lake proved to be good riding. The Lake is large enough that no matter the direction you should be able to ride. On a west North West wind You need to be on the south to center of the lake. Next time I would "hide" behind one of the small Islands in the middle of the Lake to set up and launch.

The area is a winter playground Xcountry skiiers,Snowmobilers,Ice fisherman,Great veiw of Mt Snow, extra. However you will be miles from any permanent human dwelling, no houses or any "man made" shelter of any kind so once your there you are on your own. Normal remote area rules apply be self sufficiant dress warm and have a partner, bring food and supplies and tell somone where you are going and when to expect you back. Be careful of snomobilers curiosity. They tend to get real close to see what your doing.

Access
North Directions (This is open in Winter)
Directions: Follow route 100 north from Wilmington to West Wardsboro. In West Wardsboro turn left at the "Stratton 2 miles" sign and continue past the turn for Stratton; before the pavement ends you will see signs with arrows for Grout Pond. Parking is on right. Grout Pond rd is summer only Hike or ride Snowmobiles down it.

South Directions (use at own risk!, I heard there is WINTER access from the South but I have never been there and information you read about access in Vermont can be wrong.)
Directions: Travel east on route 9 from Bennington approximately 9.5 miles passing Woodford State Park. After passing the turn for route 8, continue down the mountain .5 miles to Somerset Road on the left. Follow Somerset Road, which changes to dirt, approximately 4 miles. After passing the dam, the parking lot is on your left.

arthurblot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Napeague Bay (NY), Montauk (NY), Crandon Park (FL)
Style: Freestyle and Wakes

Postby arthurblot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm going to Stratton this weekend and you like to snowkite with a friend at Somerset Reservoir. Would you know if the ice is strong enough?
Is there a place where I can rent a snowmobile to get there?
Do you know if some people are going and can take 2 pers?
tks' Arthur

Return to “Snow / Land”