Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

San Juan (Isla Verde) lodging recommendations?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

San Juan (Isla Verde) lodging recommendations?

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:20 pm

First off, after making this post and asking some email questions I have gotten some great feedback from the San Juan PR kite folks I have contacted. If they are as friendly and helpful in person as they are in email, it should be a fun trip. I figured I'd ask this question publically in case anyone has specific travel experience.

Going to San Juan with the wife (non-kiter) for a long weekend. 3 full days on the beach with the outside days for travel. I understand that Shacks is the place to be but i think the 2 hour drive will cut into our attempt to minimize travel and maximize beach time. Basically, the goal was to get away with the wife for a long weekend, and of course, for me to have kiting access... :naughty:

Isla Verde is where we are looking. Traveling the weekend of February 20th.

Do you have any lodging recommendations?

I would like to be close to a kite launch, the wife would like a clean room (clean sheets, no bed bugs, nice room) and some beach front resort amenities (outside bar & beach chairs). You know how it is when traveling with the wife, vs going with the guys who are content with a bed, shower, and a bottle of rum. :lol:

We looked at the Intercontinental and Water&Beach Club. Both more $ than I'd prefer to spend but its a short trip so we'd get by. Getting scared away from W&BC by the tripadvisor reviews. (sounds nice, but lots of similar comments on rooms not being well kept as they once were...)

That said, I'm having trouble finding a lot of good internet information on San Juan. Everything sends me to the same resort websites.
I'm looking for any first hand experience on places to stay near San Juan that would keep a beach bound wife and kiting husband happy!

Any info you could share would be MUCH appreciated!!! THANK YOU.

Also if you have any suggestions on San Juan travel deals to get something lower than the AAA rack rate on lodging. ;)
Heck, even if you can point to some good bars to hit I'd be grateful!!! (less club scene, more bar scene)

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging
Been thanked: 0

Re: San Juan (Isla Verde) lodging recommendations?

Postby Habi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 am

:lol: Don't worry !! take a look at and forget Isla Verde :
www.puertoricosmallhotels.com
www.coquidelmar.com
www.canariohotels.com
www.escape.topuertorico.com
Your wife , I'm sure , she will find something to do while you are having fun with your toys !!

So simple , if you have any other question log on www.skybanditz.com or www.prkitesurf.com or call (787)-587-6608 - (787)593-5483

Let us help you and take care of you !!!! See you :jump:
Attachments
n99200494_30197637_6565.jpg
n99200494_30197637_6565.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 am

Thanks, I'll poke around those sites! Always a challenge to bring a wife on a kite trip...or kite on a wife trip! :lol:

I had heard the water/beaches can be crowded at Ocean Park on weekends. ?
But I also heard the wind is a little stronger than Isla Verde.....

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Yes , Ocean Park is the main spot in town with plenty of space and safe launch ! It get a bit crowded during weekends and/or holidays ( usually Sunday ) but there's no problem with that 'cause is just on the shore not on the water !! About the wind you already know is better than Isla Verde or Punta las Marias.

Do your research and let us know for anything else !!!
Attachments
kite 7-19-08 547.JPG
Kite beach , Ocean Park , PR during a weekend.

Erico
Rare Poster
Local Beach: C-Street, Zeroes
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 6M & 10m OR Rise
12m Caution Zombie
15 Peter Lynn Charger, 19m Venom2
Underground 128, 154
Xenon Laluz 132
SUP, skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Erico » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Careful of some of the hotels right off this beach... some are better the others. Make sure to call the hotel directly and try and find a place that has reviews. Renting a car in San Juan is a good idea and very affordable, so driving a bit isn't a problem. I got a compact through Charlie Car rental for 189 a week, and gas is cheap. Make sure to head down to La Parguera for a day, guy named Luis Mendoza will hook you up.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 am

So, I'm using points for a hotel stay this coming week, so I have a choice between staying in Isla Verde or at the La Concha or Marriott in Condado. Should I stay in Isla Verde and kite there, or should I stay down in Condado and be closer to Ocean Park?

Also, I could get a rental car with points if need be, if not, I'd just as soon take a cab from the airport and the bus or walk everywhere else. So, between those two areas which is better for food and close access to kiting.

I'm an experienced rider.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 pm

AdamJ, I was only there once but had a nice trip. We stayed in Ocean Park and liked being able to kite right from our beach. I think on Isla Verde you can't kite in front of any of the hotels as they are all swim areas. You have to walk/cab to the cemetery and kite there, and there is also a public park at the opposite end that I think allows you to kite. (ask the locals).

Only downside for me was at Ocean Park it was mostly chop, but I still had fun riding in close. There was a fun shore break area to play in but it got crowded with swimmers on the weekends. There was also a reef break a couple miles out. I was kiting solo most of the time so didn't venture that far out. Looked nice, though. Hook up with one of the local schools and have them take you to some prime wave or flatwater spots that suit your tastes.

Cabs were expensive. Cost us $20 to get into Old San Juan, each way. If you have points for a rental car, I'd use them. It'd be nice to have and would give your more flexibility to hit different spots.

Just looked at some old pictures and now I want to go back...

Ocean Park Pics (2/2009);

Return to “Travel”