Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Cleo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Sport + 9m

Postby Cleo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Rider: 73 k,Level (experienced?? Sh_it Yeah )
Style: Freeriding, Surf rarely, Wake, Freestyle
Weather: 24 knots for two hours 28 for half an hour
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 11/10
Disclosure: **** disclosures :) if you think I am not honest go and try one yourself
Place - OZ - Botany Bay, Kurnell

My Comments: LOOOONG sorry

It is going to be a bit of a story but considering that Ozone has just changed their line completely I reckon a word of explanation is in order as to what exactly has happened....

I loved the first Instinct. This was the first kite that felt like C and had massive depower and pull.
Then came the Edge - and first ride I few over a stack of poledancers ramping off Tarifa winter swell...my mind exploded :)
Then the Edge continued and along with it my pleasure from riding it. Most significant thing about that kite is that anyone could enjoy it. Whether you are a beginner or advanced rider - Ozone has given you the tools to enjoy ride on only one kite - Edge. Sports apart from the first one (which was only called Instinct at that time) wasn't my cup of jungle juice. So I kept my arse faaar from it...Until recently that is

When I first heard Ozone has changed their line - I bumped my head and asked God simply WHY? Why change something that was perfect?

Took 9m from KitePower to check it out....
I will not go into details of accessories like bag and spare parts cos you can expect that Ozone will always stand for quality.

It was a light breeze (13knt) in Hawks Nest that day so pleasure = 0. Kite stalled behaved like a pompous french chick with no respect for the dude who hold the bar. I was almost ready to write it off (you know first impression sort of thing) but I told myself this isnt the wind for this kite and no you cannot expect it to do anything else other than fall down all the time.

Then - NE came :))) 25 ish knt Kurnell (gusty like ****)
smooth tack left and right :) and first thing that comes to your mind - God this kite is smooth!

Then fishpoled it to F16.........and the rest is history. Instead of looping in almost one place like Edge does I felt massive upward lift and yank in forward direction. My arms were pulled like carrots from the ground and I was bloo dy flying through the air giving justice to this tricks name. Full on justice!!!

ok ok dont get excited. Being used to rotation cycle of Edge I landed....with my face forward heheh and started to scream with excitement. Then I knew that I found my kite I was waiting for.

Next one - I decided to have a bit more speed on take off - oooooaaaaaaaaaaa my ****ing stomach landed in my heels as I was traveling through the air like a polish rocket :)

Then I pulled first Dead Man (a true old school rock) since I sold my last C shape Torch1 (did I sell it or left it in Nam?? dont remember heheh). Bloo dy hell I was high.

Then Donwloop - again arms pulled with strong but nor brutal force and again and traveling fast and high looking for a place to land. Railey, Unhook, old school - all with smooth power.

Then some bottom turns - and the kite is just responding like a true freestyle bee otch should.

Then I did some more stuff and it was more fun than I ever expected - but the story gets boring so I skip to conclusion

Conclusion:

Kite is more focused on riders like myself liking a bit of everything with strong C tendencies to freestyle. Due to lack of massive depower you will need to adjust your boarding skills to keep it in track when gust comes. The kite in strong wind in more demanding than its predecessor but then again - it is completely different kite all together.

I have my kite of choice for 09 and if you are looking for smooth power delivery and massive massive fun on looping - give it a good try and enjoy :)))

Thanks Ozone :) you have done it again.

Cleo.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Re: OZONE Sport + 9m

Postby Hannay » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 am

Sounds like you are having fun, I am gettinginto my Sport + too.

Iain

ineedwindnow
Medium Poster

Postby ineedwindnow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am

Got to agree with you cleo in regards to the sport a sweet kite , but I feel the edge rx has gone backwards from previous years, although its not a bad kite I feel the 08 and 07 edge is a much better kite. :thumb:

Gowind
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Magdelen Islands, Canada
Cap Hatteras, NC
Shippagan, Canada
Playa Gillermo, Cuba
Style: Old style
Gear: Ozone Edge II 9m, 11m, 13m
F-One SK8

Postby Gowind » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm

ineedwindnow wrote:Got to agree with you cleo in regards to the sport a sweet kite , but I feel the edge rx has gone backwards from previous years, although its not a bad kite I feel the 08 and 07 edge is a much better kite. :thumb:
Good to know, I love my Edge2 9,11,13m.

Danperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spain-tarifa-pals-castelldelfels-majanicho fuerte
Favorite Beaches: Haakgat-cape town-misty cliffs
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo

Re: Ozone Sport + 9m

Postby Danperez » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Just came back from cape town and was lucky to find the most epic conditions.We had 25-30 kts side of shore winds and solid 4-5 m glassy peeling waves.
We had with us several 7´s, 9´s, 11,s and 13,s both 2008 and 09.We did a lot of back to back try outs in all conditions.
The first day we had light 16kts side-on and my friends were on the 13,s sport 2008 and 11 sport-09.
I was not sure but decided to give the brandnew 09 light a try.What a kite!From the first day on i have been riding the lights for 80% of the time and was amazed by the suitability for wave riding,it´s so perfectly suited for both hooked and unhooked wave riding, the kite is solid and responds directly.I always new exactly how it would react on my input,it depowers great without shutting off, so you would be able to park it but still feel exact control.
The third day big waves and a perfect 25kts side off wind came in and never stopped for the next 4 days,we kited more then 6 hours a day and i have never been out on anything else then the 8 light.This kite made me ride so steady and secure that i played all day in glassy peeling faces of 5m without feeling out of control.For me the light is the big winner.However the few sessions on the sport on flat water made me appreciate it´s steady pull and more present bar pressure.This kite(7,9,11) must be freestylers choice for sure.Unfortunately i am not able to comment on the sport to much as a freestyle expert.Anybody looking for a fantastic wave kite must absolutely give the light a try. I was a bit sceptical about the new 09´s before i left to cape town, i tried the sport for half an hour and was not convinced.After more then 100 hours of riding the new kites i can truly say that the materials are outstanding and the finishing is superb.Performance is absolutely perfect and the four lines are working 100%,for sure a ozone feeling.O yeah...a few of those waves took care of my 8 properly and washed the hell out of me and the kite.When i had to return it to the ozone dealer,which had given me and my friends full range quiver for testing,he asked me why the 8 light has´nt been used because it looked so untouched.They are strong!!!!!!!(and this is only the light...)
Well done guys and thanks for letting me ride all those brandnew babies in Cape Town :thumb:
Attachments
dan ct tube1 klein.jpg

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:52 pm

That photo looks like one that you could take with you. To make you happy when your not kiting.

Danperez
Rare Poster

Postby Danperez » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 pm

That day was just perfect,still have a big smile :P
Attachments
dan ct wavecarve.jpg

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:15 pm

What a nice wave dude. You are lucky. Damn winter should be over. Scientists said it will be over sooner rather than later this year due to warm winter and general global trend for shorter winters :)

Danperez
Rare Poster

Postby Danperez » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Yeah man i noticed the warmer water and the first 3 days southern winds and fog in the morning.....nothing like a typical Cape Town in february should be.But then came in 2 days of 5m swell and a pumping south easter, all good in the end.
Would be a big loss if those consistent ct conditions no longer are a fact

Return to “Reviews”