Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

new ozone 2009

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Doctor Kite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VietNam, Mui Ne; Russia, Dolghanskaya split.
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: before - wakestyle, naw - waveriding
Gear: kite Ozone, board Ciclon, Brunotti.
Brand Affiliation: my brend ''FlyFish'' and "Doctor Kite"
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new ozone 2009

Postby Doctor Kite » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:14 pm

OZONE 2009

Early in January 2009 the long-awaited new Ozone 09’s finally arrived in Mui Ne lagoon. Until the last moment the Ozone Team kept us guessing: what’s new, what are the prices - nobody knew nothing. Paul Clayton, Ozone dealer in Mui Ne received only11 new Ozones in his shop. Out of them, the Sport line was presented by only 11 and 9 square meters. After three hours only 3 kites were left in the shop, the remaining were either sold or handed out to schools and riders. The wind started to blow and the test ride began!

The bar differs radically compared with the previous models now that the new Ozone flies on four lines. As before (except for 2008), the de-power line is covered by a plastic tube (now it is black). The new Ozone has one bar for all kite sizes and models. The only difference is the length of the depower line for larger and smaller kite sizes, but it can be adjusted easily. The clam-cleat trimmer, as before, is without changes. The safety system is connected to one of the central lines ended by a stopper ball and the leash can be attached either to the central line or simply to a wrist handle. As before, additional back-line trimmers are provided to individually adjust power and response. Overall, the bar now has a more completed look!!! The safety leash has undergone a very pleasant upgrade - the new shackle now is simply superb!!!! And it fastens much easier to the harness!

Airfoil. Now all Ozones are four-lined and the leading edge has a thicker tube. One-pump system is used in Edge and Sport models while the Light has a separate pump system and only three struts. As before, Edge has 7 struts and Sport has 5 struts. The pulley-less system gives a direct-to-kite feel and sends commands from the bar instantly.

I have tested Ozone Sport 11 sq.m. with 25 m lines. The wind was so-so and the lagoon was not as crowded as usually despite the New Year's inflow of kitesurfing fans (as a rule, with large sizes). Lately I have become a wave riding fan and 90% of time I use 9 sq.m. Ozone Sport with 20-meter lines. The first impression of Sport 2009: the kite is a bit slow but has enough power (maybe explained by constant riding on a 9 meter Ozone - you get used to fast kites very quickly!!!). Light bar pressure is a true Ozone style and a pleasure to me! The pops are still as high and smooth as before, the kiteloop is without a rocket boost but maybe with a more gentle power (I could not understand at once). Going UPWIND makes a tremendous difference: the kite really flies much further upwind and has a decent power there, thus you can go upwind MUCH BETTER!!! I’ve noticed before that a surfboard goes upwind much better than a twintip, but this time I was amazed!!!. I finished riding with a vague impression. I talked to other test riders - they had the same feeling: the kite is powerful but slow, but it’s not a hell of a problem.

Everything strengthened out the next day when then it started to blow a bit stronger and the kites finally seemed to have awaken. The day before, like horses in the stables, we were so eager to test the new kites that we didn’t care about the wind and launched them in a very light breeze - of course they seemed too sluggish. But the next day I even had to depower my kite with a trimmer. I’ve chosen 20-meter lines and received the degree of performance I just wanted. The pops from the wave into space were unforgettable!

I surfed the whole way down the Mui Ne lagoon and easily went upwind in three tacks instead of usual 5-7! I managed to do it four times in just one hour!

A couple of days later new Ozone Edge 11s arrived in Mui Ne and a friend of mine bought one off hand. We decided to swap kites to try the difference. We had same 11 m sizes and same 25 m lines. I felt at once how fast it is, it kitelooped easily right on the spot. Less power vs. Sport 11 is compensated by the kites’ speed and when the wind is too light you simply fly it faster. I like this kite very much.

My friend gave a pretty good feedback on Ozone Sport 11, as he said the kite much more powerful than Edge 11, it seems that the new Sport 11 2009 is like the old Edge 13 2008, and the new Edge 11 2009 is like the old Edge 9 2008 . He also said he feels that his Edge 11 flies further upwind than Sport 11.

My friend Crazy Max tried to test the new Sport 11, but he had a kind of “wind problem” so he tested his friend’s Ozone Sport 9. Here’s his feedback: “… I was afraid to jump because it’s not my kite, I was very cautious. But 10-20 minutes later I completely stopped to look up at the kite. Not because it’s ugly, but simply because I knew where it is, I didn’t have to focus on it. Big difference in the bar pressure compared to North Rhino. I like my North Rhino very much! But unlike the North’s, Ozone’s bar gives you the needed feedback without too much pressure, it’s hardly tangible. Ozone Sports 9 is a very fast kite. It is even faster than my North Rhino 10. It goes upwind superb! Here’s the offer for those who are not happy with their new Ozone Sport 9 - I CAN SWAP IS FOR MY NORTH RHINO 10!!!!! Almost new, two times on the water 

Max’s friend bought this Ozone Sport 9 2009 by chance and first time was not very happy about it. He is a beginner, second year on the water and does not understand “all the tricks” - he simply enjoys riding without bothering about how it works His feedback on the first impressions: “… first I tried hard to get some power but it was always not enough. I have released the trimmer completely, but the power has not increased. One rider showed me additional trimmers on the back lines; I tightened them as much as I can. It gave me some additional power but the kite still didn’t’ want to fly and all the time wanted to fall on the trailing edge (“fall on his ass”). I gave the kite to my more experienced friends and they said the back lines are still slack and the kite lacks power … Then somebody showed me the right settings and after 2-3 days I caught on to it and started to enjoy riding!!! Now I’m selling my Slingshot 14, I am thinking of changing it for Ozone, but I don’t know yet what model to choose… They are TOO EASY to ride! That's all folks… “.

I have tested new Ozone Lights 2009, 8,10 and 12 sq.m., it’s a three-strut model of Ozone. This year Ozone Lights are without ONE-PUMP system, at least those that were sent for us to Mui Ne. Those who have tried them are just amazed!! Unlike the last year’s Ozone Lights, everyone says the new kite is rocket-fast! Well, is it good or bad for beginners??? I don’t’ know yet … the time will show …

Vlad Kosichka, Doctor Kite.

bern dogg
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: new ozone 2009

Postby bern dogg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 am

sweet! time to upgrade

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Doctor Kite wrote: Lately I have become a wave riding fan and 90% of time I use 9 sq.m. Going UPWIND makes a tremendous difference: the kite really flies much further upwind and has a decent power there, thus you can go upwind MUCH BETTER!!! I’ve noticed before that a surfboard goes upwind much better than a twintip, but this time I was amazed!!!.
I am flying 07 Lights which were flying more back than the Sport and Edge but they are flying still too much upwind for wave use. So I am a bit perplexed why the 09 should be good for waves if they fly even more upwind. I had to shorten the back lines to hold the 07's back and I am still thinking about shortening the fronts and extending the fifth to get those perform better in waves.

Danperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spain-tarifa-pals-castelldelfels-majanicho fuerte
Favorite Beaches: Haakgat-cape town-misty cliffs
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo

Postby Danperez » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Try the 09 light!!!!!!

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the review, very interesting

My question concerns the safety system, when the o.s.h is pulled the bar is released and travels
up one of the centre lines and flags the kite out?
Have you actually done this on an 09 instinct ?

I was interested to know
a, how far up the lines does the bar travel ?
b, does the kite completely flag and die down or does it twist ?

I have no affiliations towards, nor axe to grind against Ozone, I'm just interested to know how
effective this feature is on the new 4 line kites.

TIA

Doctor Kite wrote:OZONE 2009

Early in January 2009 the long-awaited new Ozone 09’s finally arrived in Mui Ne lagoon. Until the last moment the Ozone Team kept us guessing: what’s new, what are the prices - nobody knew nothing. Paul Clayton, Ozone dealer in Mui Ne received only11 new Ozones in his shop. Out of them, the Sport line was presented by only 11 and 9 square meters. After three hours only 3 kites were left in the shop, the remaining were either sold or handed out to schools and riders. The wind started to blow and the test ride began!

The bar differs radically compared with the previous models now that the new Ozone flies on four lines. As before (except for 2008), the de-power line is covered by a plastic tube (now it is black). The new Ozone has one bar for all kite sizes and models. The only difference is the length of the depower line for larger and smaller kite sizes, but it can be adjusted easily. The clam-cleat trimmer, as before, is without changes. The safety system is connected to one of the central lines ended by a stopper ball and the leash can be attached either to the central line or simply to a wrist handle. As before, additional back-line trimmers are provided to individually adjust power and response. Overall, the bar now has a more completed look!!! The safety leash has undergone a very pleasant upgrade - the new shackle now is simply superb!!!! And it fastens much easier to the harness!

Airfoil. Now all Ozones are four-lined and the leading edge has a thicker tube. One-pump system is used in Edge and Sport models while the Light has a separate pump system and only three struts. As before, Edge has 7 struts and Sport has 5 struts. The pulley-less system gives a direct-to-kite feel and sends commands from the bar instantly.

I have tested Ozone Sport 11 sq.m. with 25 m lines. The wind was so-so and the lagoon was not as crowded as usually despite the New Year's inflow of kitesurfing fans (as a rule, with large sizes). Lately I have become a wave riding fan and 90% of time I use 9 sq.m. Ozone Sport with 20-meter lines. The first impression of Sport 2009: the kite is a bit slow but has enough power (maybe explained by constant riding on a 9 meter Ozone - you get used to fast kites very quickly!!!). Light bar pressure is a true Ozone style and a pleasure to me! The pops are still as high and smooth as before, the kiteloop is without a rocket boost but maybe with a more gentle power (I could not understand at once). Going UPWIND makes a tremendous difference: the kite really flies much further upwind and has a decent power there, thus you can go upwind MUCH BETTER!!! I’ve noticed before that a surfboard goes upwind much better than a twintip, but this time I was amazed!!!. I finished riding with a vague impression. I talked to other test riders - they had the same feeling: the kite is powerful but slow, but it’s not a hell of a problem.

Everything strengthened out the next day when then it started to blow a bit stronger and the kites finally seemed to have awaken. The day before, like horses in the stables, we were so eager to test the new kites that we didn’t care about the wind and launched them in a very light breeze - of course they seemed too sluggish. But the next day I even had to depower my kite with a trimmer. I’ve chosen 20-meter lines and received the degree of performance I just wanted. The pops from the wave into space were unforgettable!

I surfed the whole way down the Mui Ne lagoon and easily went upwind in three tacks instead of usual 5-7! I managed to do it four times in just one hour!

A couple of days later new Ozone Edge 11s arrived in Mui Ne and a friend of mine bought one off hand. We decided to swap kites to try the difference. We had same 11 m sizes and same 25 m lines. I felt at once how fast it is, it kitelooped easily right on the spot. Less power vs. Sport 11 is compensated by the kites’ speed and when the wind is too light you simply fly it faster. I like this kite very much.

My friend gave a pretty good feedback on Ozone Sport 11, as he said the kite much more powerful than Edge 11, it seems that the new Sport 11 2009 is like the old Edge 13 2008, and the new Edge 11 2009 is like the old Edge 9 2008 . He also said he feels that his Edge 11 flies further upwind than Sport 11.

My friend Crazy Max tried to test the new Sport 11, but he had a kind of “wind problem” so he tested his friend’s Ozone Sport 9. Here’s his feedback: “… I was afraid to jump because it’s not my kite, I was very cautious. But 10-20 minutes later I completely stopped to look up at the kite. Not because it’s ugly, but simply because I knew where it is, I didn’t have to focus on it. Big difference in the bar pressure compared to North Rhino. I like my North Rhino very much! But unlike the North’s, Ozone’s bar gives you the needed feedback without too much pressure, it’s hardly tangible. Ozone Sports 9 is a very fast kite. It is even faster than my North Rhino 10. It goes upwind superb! Here’s the offer for those who are not happy with their new Ozone Sport 9 - I CAN SWAP IS FOR MY NORTH RHINO 10!!!!! Almost new, two times on the water 

Max’s friend bought this Ozone Sport 9 2009 by chance and first time was not very happy about it. He is a beginner, second year on the water and does not understand “all the tricks” - he simply enjoys riding without bothering about how it works His feedback on the first impressions: “… first I tried hard to get some power but it was always not enough. I have released the trimmer completely, but the power has not increased. One rider showed me additional trimmers on the back lines; I tightened them as much as I can. It gave me some additional power but the kite still didn’t’ want to fly and all the time wanted to fall on the trailing edge (“fall on his ass”). I gave the kite to my more experienced friends and they said the back lines are still slack and the kite lacks power … Then somebody showed me the right settings and after 2-3 days I caught on to it and started to enjoy riding!!! Now I’m selling my Slingshot 14, I am thinking of changing it for Ozone, but I don’t know yet what model to choose… They are TOO EASY to ride! That's all folks… “.

I have tested new Ozone Lights 2009, 8,10 and 12 sq.m., it’s a three-strut model of Ozone. This year Ozone Lights are without ONE-PUMP system, at least those that were sent for us to Mui Ne. Those who have tried them are just amazed!! Unlike the last year’s Ozone Lights, everyone says the new kite is rocket-fast! Well, is it good or bad for beginners??? I don’t’ know yet … the time will show …

Vlad Kosichka, Doctor Kite.

Mlkman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Instincts
Nobile kites
Nobile board
Surftech boards and SUP:s
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Importer
Nobile Importer
Surftech Importer

Postby Mlkman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm

I know you can se them release in this clip.. But I dont know it this is the clip where they relaunch. There is one anyway.

OZONE Instinct controll system on Vimeo

Any solution where bar travels the with of the kite ends up with a bit of line in the water once relaunching. I will to use this system where its shallow mostly, but I guess thats where its needed anyway :)

Doctor Kite
Rare Poster

Postby Doctor Kite » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:29 am

Great video, thanx!

The kite really flags out without twisting and falls on water almost instantly. The distance the bar travels along the line is adjusted by a stopper ball, very handy when you train a student.

Doctor Kite
Rare Poster

Postby Doctor Kite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 am

What I meant actually is that with this kite
you can faster return to the point where you started waveriding downwind
(with side-crosshore wind as in Mui Ne). I'm still not a pro in waveriding, just learning. But without too much effort I can keep both Edge and Sport in the middle of the wind window
with the bar fully pulled and backlines fully shortened by trimmers. When I
tried to make backlines even shorter, the kite started to fall back. I use
20 m lines

Doktor Kite

Return to “Reviews”