Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2009 Griffin pics and review -Check it out!

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
prwinds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2009 Griffin pics and review -Check it out!

Postby prwinds » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:43 pm

tille wrote:Thanks, but I am not able to view the pictures.

Have you given access for public view of the pictures at photobucket?
Hi, sorry there they are now. If they dont work for some reason have a look at the photobucket album here http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... in%20Pics/

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 am

The kite looks great. We have them coming in for UK and Ireland this week. I have heard some great things and am looking forward to testing them.

How much does the direct connect bridle for make a difference. Any one compared them yet ? I believe it will make the kite faster with more feedback , for intermediate to advanced riders?

http://www.kitesurfwarehouse.com

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Prwinds if you keep saying the "best of all kites" in about every category, it would be helpful to compare to some other kites so we get a point of reference. More stable than rise? Goes bigger than Thruster? More durable than a Slingshot? That would really be impressive!

prwinds
Medium Poster
Ocean Park

Postby prwinds » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Hmmm fair enough schmoe.

Yes maybe the review seemed a bit super pimped out, I was really just super stoked with the kites. They were such an improvement from last years that I just had to post a review and let everyone get a feel for them.

Ok, they are definetly not the best kites out there in every aspect but I really think they do more than you'd expect. The only place I think the kite could see some very needed improvement is in unhooking, but that is being worked on with the wake bridles development plus another line of kites that is in development. I think its impossible to make a single kite for every riding style, this is clear. But when you find a kite that is literally at half the price of other kites in the industry, with full warranty, great service, strong construction and proven performance, yes, I would say the Griffin is definitely the best kite in the market right now for the rider that wants to save some hundred bucks.

I currently ride FUELS 09 and REV 2, the Griffin will not compare to the fuel. The turning is very similar to the REV in terms of smoothness and power delivery, very constant throughout the whole turn and with power. The 9m Griffin is maybe bit faster through the window than a 9m 08 REV. The REV unhooks better. The griffin is more of a hook-in-and-ride whereas the REV gets power when sining it. I think the 9m Griffin is a tad bigger than a 9m REV so maybe thats the reason.

Faster turning than a 09 Waroo.
Cant compare with any new Eclipse kites still, but soon! Hoping to give the new Thruster a try, looks pretty sick.
The griffin has more range and lowend power than any other kite I have tried, maybe similar to that of a North Rhino 08. I believe this is due to the open canopy shape of the griffin, it makes the projected area closer to the tips, they are angled out and not parallel to each other.

If your looking for a wave or fast freeriding kite that jumps good and offers a range of nice features including Single Point Inflation and tuning options the Griffin is the kite for you.

Dont take my word for it though, search around for review or try to find and demo and check it out for yourself.

PRICES:
Average 9m kite: $1749.00
09 9m Griffin complete: $849.00

"The next reports on the kite came from Namibia at the Luderitz Speed sailing challenge. Griffin rider Sylvain Hoceini took the new 2009 kites to this prestigious event , which attempted to break the 50knots Barrier in sailing for the first time ever. Sylvain set a new personal best here (smashing his previous PB) , and also managed to finish 4th overall against the worlds top speed sailors. He maxed out at 53.8knots and is now the fourth fastest man on the water and one of very few to pass 50knots. Not bad at all for the griffins first outing."
-http://www.kitesurfwarehouse.com/home.html

Schmoe I sent you a PM, if your interested in a demo please let me know. Ill be glad to locate one so you can test it.

Regards,
Francisco
www.soloviento.com

schmoe wrote:Prwinds if you keep saying the "best of all kites" in about every category, it would be helpful to compare to some other kites so we get a point of reference. More stable than rise? Goes bigger than Thruster? More durable than a Slingshot? That would really be impressive!

prwinds
Medium Poster
Ocean Park

Postby prwinds » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:11 pm

I wrote a lot!

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:48 am

Now that's useful info. Got 4th in the world speed record? Well I guess its playing with the big boys now.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 am

Kite looks good.
I wish my 2008 had the single point inflation.
I hope they're not gonna stick that mega heavy ronstan swivel on the 2009 bar.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 pm

We have put together a page with some magazine reviews , Designer interview , videos and pics on

Griffin Kitesurfing Kite

Also a worthwhile blog run by some french riders many using the 09 griffin is on

www.moana-blog.com

The 09 griffins are built as all rounders to best suit the kiters who likes to do both wave riding and free style. Its will also suit beginners , thanks to the ease of use and simplicity. Yet seasoned riders are gonna benefit from very very floaty jumps, and excellent grunt through the turns.

Forgetting the price , they will stand up to almost any kite out there in terms of build and performance. Mix in the price and that makes it a stand out piece of kit.

aTi
Rare Poster

Postby aTi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 am

schmoe wrote:Now that's useful info. Got 4th in the world speed record? Well I guess its playing with the big boys now.
Sylvain even scored a maximum speed at 53,8 knots whith his Griffin this year in Namibia!
And he also won the long distance race french title late 2008 ... so I guess you're right: playing with the big boys :thumb: !

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm

To be blatantly honest, i think over all they have just little way to go to be up there with the big boys.

The kite is right , the build quality is there (scoring much higher than many big names for build inrecent mag tests) , the performance is there (again some great scores in the mags,better than may other competitors) , the price rocks and the service from the guys at Griffin HQ is excellent ....

So whats missing... They need top team riders and more exposure by way of advertisng.... But... this costs , and could put the price of the kite up... So maybe playing with the big boys is not the way to go for them????

heres one of the recent mag reviews from "The Kiteboarder".

and designer interview...

Last edited by kitesurfwarehouse on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Reviews”