Kiteboarding with a wakeboard? Why not?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jer » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:09 pm

I've read all these posts about not being able to kite with a wakeboard and such. How come? A twin tip wakeboard would be more than ok for learning and intermediate riders I would think no? Any reasons why not? I'd rather spend my money on a few kites, use my wakeboard, once I get good then decide what I'd like in a kite specific board and go from there.
Comments?

thanks,

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:17 pm

I learnt on a liquid farce rhythm 141 no worries. I was already hot on a kite though.
If you are not used to a lot of kite power then a wake is not ideal to learn on.

I have used a few wakes since and the only problem is that they don't have much wind range ie: they need a lot of power to get going and then get overpowered easily. On the right day with smooth wind a good wakeboard is great fun though.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:17 pm

did u use bindings?

i'm on a wakeboard - and with bindings, i can start riding when the other guys with 1.40 TT's
can ride with their kites parked - and hold the edge longer than necesary - i've had gusts of upper 8 bft when only one other rider was out, totally overpowered and i still had some mo' to give if necessary ...

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:27 pm

It's really the bindings that create the biggest problem for newer kiters. What you call the board, twin tip or wakeboard is not as important. We say wakeboards are hard to learn with because we associate bindings with wakeboards. Your kite flying skills will be poor and you will have enough problems with the kite that you will wish your feet were not locked into bindings. If you want to use a wakeboard you already own, then install anti-binding footstrap plates while you learn. Put your bindings on after you are good with the kite.

Jer
Rare Poster

Postby Jer » Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:58 pm

Ok, how about someone who's advanced with kiting and good kite skills. Would he benefit using kite specific wake style board rather than a wakeboard specific board? Is there an edge holding advantage? Thats all I could really see. Length wouldnt be an issue since most guys riding the kite wake style are using board lengths that are available in boat wakeboards.

Jer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jer on 2002-06-27 18:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jer on 2002-06-27 19:00 ]</font>

Jer
Rare Poster

Postby Jer » Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:01 pm

I guess the real reason behind my questioning is kite wake style boards here cost $1000+. Wakeboards range from $400 - 800$.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:42 pm

A lot of guys use boat style wakeboards for kiting. They work fine if you get the right one. Don't worry, try it.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:43 pm

a good wakestyle kiteboard has a certain flex while a wakeboard is rock-solid.

so a kiteboard has a lighter rockerline in light winds which will increase with power ...

but still - for a good kiteboard's price, you get two wakes :smile:

to the binding / wake thingie:

well - a no-kite-wake usually has a two fin setup and rides much looser than many kiteboards.
you should know how to edge the board.

and bindings are for experienced riders, that's true - alone getting in and out requres a feeling for kite and wind.
you shouldnt drop your high performance kite in low winds ... and so on ...

Iemonhaze32
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro
Gear: North Evo 13'

Re: Kiteboarding with a wakeboard? Why not?

Postby Iemonhaze32 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:18 pm

I would think a wakeboard would be better since it can jump easier too

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kiteboarding with a wakeboard? Why not?

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 pm

You must be partying like is 1999!
Put down the bong and charge up your flux capacitor lemonparty, it's 2016.

Return to “Kitesurfing”