Liquid Force release danger ('07/'08)-replacement available

Forum for kitesurfers
gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force release danger ('07/'08)-replacement available

Postby gonewiththewind » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am

I am passing on this info in the hopes that it might save someone from getting hurt:

The Liquid Force emergency release is especially prone to getting jammed with sand. My kite went down in the surf while I had my donkey dick in place, so I immediately tried to activate the emergency release to save the kite from getting thrashed by the waves. The release would not move. At this point, I even had time to sit and stare at the release, use both hands, etc., but I could not get it to move. With my kite now getting dragged by the surf, I had to undo my donkey dick and unhook my chicken loop to get rid of the kite. Too late - the kite was thrashed. But what really bothers me is the fear of what might have happened had I wanted to eject the kite because of an emergency for my own safety.

Saying that I should have been better about rinsing the release before going out does not cut it. There are plenty of systems designed by other companies that would not jam with sand. If you look at the Liquid Force design, you can see how easy it is for sand to get between the red plastic and the black plastic, since it is a tight 360-degree fit. My release was down in the water while I was trying to release it, and it still wouldn't budge. This is a poor design for a sport that takes place at the beach and is unacceptable. There are safer alternatives from other companies that LF should emulate.

UPDATE FROM LIQUID FORCE:

Liquid Force will warrantee anyone who has a release that they feel doesn't release properly or easily enough with the new 2009 piece.

Please contact johnr@liquidforce.com for USA warrantee or michaelj@liquidforce.com for Europe warrantee.
Attachments
LFrelease.jpg
LFrelease.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Last edited by gonewiththewind on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force Emergency Release is Dangerous-Jams too easily

Postby bavdrftr318 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:20 am

Agree completely.

vman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile

Postby vman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 am

Saying that I should have been better about rinsing the release before going out does not cut it. .[/quote]

its your own safety, if you know that could be a problem and not do anything about it, isn't your own fault?

I make sure all my gear works before I head out.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:42 am

The most dangerous thing here is that you do not test your safety release regularly and did not know that that could happen. If you properly care for and test your gear, this will not happen. Or if it does you will at least be aware of the possibility.

skyjiber
Rare Poster

Postby skyjiber » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 am

Mr Gone with the wind is totally correct. I wash my LF safety release (and my harness, bar and lines) after every session. As I know the LF QR always jams, I actually rinse it and release it and set it back. But even after just a one hour session, it will be jammed again. I know cos i wash it afterwards and test the QR, it will be jammed.

So mr 72kitboarder, don't accuse others that they don't properly care and test their gear blah blah blah...

And Mr Vman, its not our fault (for not testing our gear), its a design fault by LF.

Mr Gone with the wind was merely highlighting a safety issue to other LF users in with good intentions. I don't understand why kitesurfing has so many preachers?!

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am

72kiteboarder wrote:The most dangerous thing here is that you do not test your safety release regularly and did not know that that could happen. If you properly care for and test your gear, this will not happen. Or if it does you will at least be aware of the possibility.
Look, I'm happy to take my portion of blame for the situation. So now, let's move on - back to the manufacturer. It is unacceptable for a manufacturer to design an emergency safety release that is in danger of being jammed with sand. If that was an issue with all releases, then there would be little fault to find with Liquid Force. But that is simply not the case. There are at least a few emergency releases that do not jam with sand. For an activity that generally takes place at the beach and usually involves the bar and release system lying in the sand just before going out, it is unacceptable for any manufacturer to design a system that is prone to being jammed with sand and then tell the rider "be sure to clean it before you go out." This is an emergency safety release. It should be designed so that it is as reliable as possible. A rider should know how to activate his emergency release, but the rider should not need to keep sand away from his release any more than he needs to wipe the brakes dry on his car before driving. There are better, more reliable releases. Manufacturers that have not developed their own should learn from the others.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:17 am

It sucks. BIG TIME.

They know it, we know it.

kenny KAF
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beauduc, France
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France :-)
Style: old style, big air!
Gear: Peter Lynn kites and old F-one SK8
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn kiteboarding

Postby kenny KAF » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am

It is LF fault if their system is not 100% sure.
It is Gonewiththewind fault not to have tested it earlier but only in emergency case.
To skyjiber, if you know your system is faulty and can jam, why the hell do you keep using it??? You're putting your life at risk knowing it... Don't come here to blame LF if you crash and get hurt...

For all LF users, I would recommand to write to LF and explain them your problem but if their QR is so faulty, please do not use it!!! :roll: :roll:

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:41 am

For a few $ you can change the red plastic piece on your 2007 and 2008 LF bar to the new 2009 piece that is a serious upgrade of the old one and the release works way way better and does not get jammed by sand nearly as easily as the 2007-2008 one, a lot of the inside material has been removed so it slides of with very low friction and does not get stuck with sand. The new plastic piece from the 2009 bar retrofits the older chickenloops easily, done in a few minutes.
That said I admit that the 2007-2008 bars need a lot of maintenance to be able to release proper. I always release the red piece and put it back together everytime I go out (takes 5 seconds max). This does not only make it work if I need it, it also makes me able to release way faster if ever needed.

so change all the 2007 and 2008 pieces and get a 2009 one from your LF shop and the problem is solved

br

Thomas

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 am

yes i had this but rode it anyway knowing that its not going to open accidently, i allready attatch my leash to the rope above so it would be useless anyway and i dont use the donkeydick so can easily unhook. so for me its fine and the spots i ride you really dont want your kite to release accidently, they are mainly offshore spots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”