Style: New School
Gear: North Rhino, North Vegas
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North 2008 bar - Need help with replace ideas for a line

Postby FELIPEUY » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi!

I am the proud owner of two North Vegas 2008 kites and 1 bar.
Yesterday while kiting the white line that holds both front lines snapped in the middle. (Photos below)

I am thinking of buying a similar line in a sailing shop, and attach it, but I may need some help of which nots use, and the lenght of the line...
Anyone had the same problem??

Thanks!!
DSCN2381.JPG
Upper end of white line
DSCN2384_2.JPG
Lower end of white line

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North 2008 bar - Need help with replace ideas for a line

Postby sarc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:58 am

Ask for Amsteel Spectra line in a sailing shop. Kiteshops will refer to it as "leader line".

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:43 pm

You can just tie a new loop. If you are not comfortable, don't. Otherwise a repair shop can sew a new loop or you can find North repair kits.

When tying a knot you must also trim the back lines to make up for the lost line length.

Knots:

Bowline

or

Double figure 8 used by climbers (one figure eight on the line, loop end back and retrace figure eight). Might use too much line but is strong and doesn't weaken the line too much.

You can secure the end of the knot with an extra overhand knot to reduce chance of slipping.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm

Warning: It is not clear to me if the broken loop is the one that holds the 5th line red ball (I don't think it is but just in case). If it is at the red ball, it is very important that the ball cannot slip through the loop. For one thing, if it slips through, you loose the leading edge support. More importantly it can result in powering up the kite when releasing to 5'th line if the red ball cannot slip back through the loop.

Mikkel

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

http://www.layline.com/product/653/700

Use 7/64 line. You'll need to stretch the hell out of it before using it.

But, you'll need to learn how to loop and sew the ends. Most toy kite shops have the skills and tools for this.

I wouldn't use knots because they create line snag points that could lead to a kitemare someday.

I have a 1mm diameter carbon rod from a stunt kite that I use to feed up the core of the braided line. I use masking tape to attach the Amsteel to the carbon rod, then pull it through. One stitch with a sewing machine and its good. Use polyester thread.

FELIPEUY
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Playa Malvín. Cabarete. Jericacoara

Postby FELIPEUY » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll get a replacement line and seek on help for the sewing of the line, since I don't trust in knots...

This line is the one that holds both front lines (the one that ends in the chiken loop) so it is pretty heavily loaded during each session.

Where I live there are no kite shops so I'll try and find a salinig repair shop so they can help me on the sewing and attaching of the new line.
Dwight wrote:I have a 1mm diameter carbon rod from a stunt kite that I use to feed up the core of the braided line. I use masking tape to attach the Amsteel to the carbon rod, then pull it through. One stitch with a sewing machine and its good. Use polyester thread.
Dwight: Any pic of this??

thanks again!!

:thumb: :thumb:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:20 pm

FELIPEUY wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll get a replacement line and seek on help for the sewing of the line, since I don't trust in knots...

This line is the one that holds both front lines (the one that ends in the chiken loop) so it is pretty heavily loaded during each session.

Where I live there are no kite shops so I'll try and find a salinig repair shop so they can help me on the sewing and attaching of the new line.
Dwight wrote:I have a 1mm diameter carbon rod from a stunt kite that I use to feed up the core of the braided line. I use masking tape to attach the Amsteel to the carbon rod, then pull it through. One stitch with a sewing machine and its good. Use polyester thread.
Dwight: Any pic of this??

thanks again!!

You could use some wire from a coat hanger to feed inside the braided line. Any thin rod you can find will work. Darning needles work too.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 am

FELIPEUY wrote: Anyone had the same problem??
Yep, happened to me when the kite tumbled down on slack lines, recovers in the center with full power and that line snaps immediately. From your photos it looks like the line broke where those extra line is sewed on where the 5th is threaded through. That's exactly the spot where mine broke.

FELIPEUY
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Playa Malvín. Cabarete. Jericacoara

Postby FELIPEUY » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm

lenker wrote:ep, happened to me when the kite tumbled down on slack lines, recovers in the center with full power and that line snaps immediately. From your photos it looks like the line broke where those extra line is sewed on where the 5th is threaded through. That's exactly the spot where mine broke.
That's exactly what happened to me....
I have a friend that got a rebel 2009 with the new bar, and that same line is suffering from the same problem... seems that it weakens the line...

If anyone from North reads this post it should be considered for next generation bars...

Lenker: Did you replace the line? Or tied it?
Any ideas?

Thanks!

BrockLanders
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby BrockLanders » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 pm

If your on a budget and want to just "Get er done"

1. trim the broken end and and sleeve a loop (I use a figure 8 knot)
http://www.powerline-sports.com/knots.html

2. add a short extension to make up for the line length lost (probably about 12"). You can make quick ones out of Q-Powerline without having to worry about sleeving.

3. spend the time/$$ you saved on drinking beer.

I use an old guitar string (high "e") for pulling the line through the sleeve.

splicing/sleeving instructions
http://windstarkites.com/FlyLine-No_Knot_Splicing.htm

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 am

FELIPEUY wrote:Lenker: Did you replace the line? Or tied it?
I was lucky, the local North dealer had a line set of which two other lines were missing already and he gave me the replacement for the snapped line for free (I had bought the bar there).

From the design aspect, I think the line may not just be weakened by the stitches but also by constant friction from the 5th line on the one spot where it is threaded through. This and the issue of difficulties after releasing the chicken loop started to make me dislike the 5th line concept :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”