MrClean
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Guy - Trainer kite question

Postby MrClean » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I was invited to try snowkiting a few weeks ago and absolutely LOVED it. I picked it up pretty quick and was on my skis in approx 15min (trainer kite for 10min). I am hooked and want to learn how to water kite this summer.

Anyways I am looking to buy a kite and figure I should get a trainer first. I see that most trainers are in the 2-3m range. Can I use a "regular" 3m kite as a trainer? I figure this would save me a couple hundred bucks as I could use the kite on high wind days.

A local guy has a 3m Peter Lynn pepper for sale with bar and lines that I can get. Would this be an OK kite to learn with? I'm 6', 180lbs if it matters. Not sure of the local wind averages at this time. The day I was out on the lake there were kites from 6m-17m. (I was on the 6m)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Marto
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Redhead NSW
Stockton NSW
Favorite Beaches: as above
Style: cruising
Gear: All sorts of inflatables and rams /sandboards/landboards and surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Guy - Trainer kite question

Postby Marto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:25 am

gidday mate, i reckon with your size a 12m inflatable would best suit your purposes. Don't use a ram air foil on water - too many problems! learn the 10'oclock -2'oclock routine with the trainer then apply to the inflatable, body dragging and you will soon get the hang of it . All the best :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Return to “Kitesurfing”