Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
pebbles
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Postby pebbles » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Yo, for those pesky valves coming off, try some airstop vinyl repair. Easily found at Wal-Mart in the camping section.

This is what I do. If the valve is just starting to peel, use the applicator to get under the valve, then use pressure till it drys completely(8-10hrs.) I use a book and the top of a small spray can. Be careful, too much glue will eat through the bladder. Sometimes there is still a small leak, if this happens I will cut some old bladder material to fit over the valve and surrounding bladder area and use the same glue to seal this using the same method, but with a slightly larger can/top. If it is done right it will last a long time.

later
pebbles

unclesam333
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset, Pismo, Sherman, Rooster, Lincoln City, Camas, Lucky Peak
Style: Freeride/Big air
Gear: Need 7m??
9m/12m AnswerII (Caution)
10m Octane (Slingshot)
14m HavocII (Liquid Force)
17.5m Machine (Slingshot) SOLD
Been thanked: 0

Postby unclesam333 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

any word on HH-66...I'd like to use for repair work instead of aquaseal or glufix...a lot cheaper
anybody use it at all for anything..any experience? What are the thoughts on using it on bladders and canopy repairs? I know I can always buy it and try it, but just hoping for some more info.

snowycarter
Medium Poster

Postby snowycarter » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:56 am

This is a question for Naish product development and probably a lot of other manufacturers too. Why can't you make it so that strut and LE valves do not delaminate.

I have had a bunch of Naish kites for the past 5 years and they have all done it. Most recent observation is on the Raven 2, all strut valves delaminated. (i dont leave the kite in a hot place). --- what i notice is that the octopus female connection (that is just kind of stuck down like a valve - but a hell of a lot better) - NEVER delaminates. Why aren't the other valves stuck down with the same reinforcement as the female connection to octopus system on the bladder itself. Is this a cost cutting situation or what?

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 pm

When I get a tear on a leading edge, I usually reinforce it from the inside. I always get a little paranoid when sewing around bladders. My new technique is to cut the top and bottle off a 1 L water bottle. Then I cut the bottle one side, from top to bottom, so it has a slit. I open the slit and tuck the bladder inside. I now do my sewing with less paranoia about nicking the bladder with a needle. When it's time to close up, I remove the bottle, massage the bladder so it is away from the seam (taking advantage of the bladders weight), and sew the leading edge seam back up.
Also protects bladders from a hot iron too.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

I just leave it at my local sail/kiterepair guy. Get it back the next day, problem solve. :jump:

stephk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid

Postby stephk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum world but recently subscribed in order to learn how to fix a tear in a kite sail.
I haven't been really impressed with any of the products that can be found on the internet until I stumbled upon Kiteaid. I completely demolished my liquid force on the ice a month ago and fixed a complete tear along the seam with their iron on sail repair tape. Works great! i think i have some pictures somewhere... i will try and find them and post for all to see.

J-Dogg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: inland
Favorite Beaches: corpus christi
Style: wakestyle
Gear: T3, REV2, Cabrinha custom
Brand Affiliation: XLkites SPI

Postby J-Dogg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I had a hole about 2 inches on the outside LE. I inflaited the kite half way to ensure slit was lined up correctly, and I used super glue and 2.5 x 1 in. peice of shirt... for support. I got this hole like 4 months ago and its still in good repair.

In other words get creative if your to cheap for kitefix..

peice

stephk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid

Postby stephk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:18 am

I tried super glue once...and never did again!
The problem with cyanoacrylates is that it becomes brittle over time. I guarantee you that it will come off eventually. The best way to repair a hole in a bladder is with http://www.Kiteaid.com. It's not expensive and you will not have to spend an hour again fixing a leak that you should have fixed properly in the first place...

stephan

kiteaid
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Kites
Brand Affiliation: www.kiteaid.com

Postby kiteaid » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:11 pm

It is worth noting that kiteforum.com users currently get a discount at http://www.kiteaid.com. Check out this thread to get the discount code.

We have the most innovative solutions for kite repair, so we can get you back flying anywhere. If you are traveling to kite, our kits are the best way to ensure that you do not lose quality kiting time due to a damaged kite.

snowycarter
Medium Poster

Postby snowycarter » Sat May 09, 2009 7:11 am

I have a bout a 2 inch diameter burst in a strut of a Raven 2. I screwed up by not closing one of the zippers and went ahead and pumped it up for a session. :( - a piece of the bladder actually burst off.

I am traveling but have some TearAid Type A and Type B with me and 1/2 a tube of Aqua Seal, i don't have any old bladders for a piece of excess. I was thinking of using some Tearaid, but don't know how that works when it is such a large hole and the sticky backing going to the opposite side of the bladder.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Gear Builders”