pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nobile and its Poor Board Quality

Postby pbmaniac27 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Right so I am fed up with my Nobile 666's quality

Day 1 of owning the board i dropped the board on a sandy beach to have one of the ridiculous fins get ripped out of the board. Wanted to warantee it but didnt get a nice quick positive result so i just got it fixed my deal who stepped up so i could get back on the water.

Later that summer look down on my board to notice that I have a fin missing. Similarly ripped out. The force needed to do so was so minimal that I did not even notice doing it. Got the board fixed again.

Later again. Riding in Aruba and the fin popped out when i skimmed a reef. Admittedly this damage was on me as riding close to a reef is not complete normal useage.

Yesterday. Riding at a nice sandy beach again. No idea how it happened but i look down and it looked like someone had taken a butchers knife and sliced into the toe side rail of the board. The cut goes about 2 inches into the board.

Sure I have used the board a good amount now but i feel like its time to say this is RIDICULOUS.
for supposed snowboard construction quality on a $700+ board. I know for one that i can kick the shit out of my snowboards and not worry. I shouldn't be scared about shattering my board at any given momment. I have seen my friends on fly doors and other similarly designed boards ride their boards with fins up the beach and get away with it. This is while I am worried about even dropping the board on the beach.

Did not want to get on this forum and bash, but the amount and ease of dammage this board has taken is completely ridiculous for its price range. I like how it rides but seriously!!! I feel like at this point a little venting is wauranted and helpful for other riders

Anyone else have similar issues with their Nobile boards. Has the construction quality been improved on this years models. Mine is a 2007

jeff1
Medium Poster
Style: freeride

Re: Nobile and its Poor Board Quality

Postby jeff1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Sorry for your trouble mate but i have the complete opposite towards nobile i have had a 555 a 666 and just ordered the nhp that comes with a 3 year warranty.I never had a ounce of trouble.
Bewilders me......

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 pm

That does not sound normal.
Maybe you have a picture so we can better imagine
how this looks like when the fin just pops out?

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 pm

pbmaniac27 wrote:
Anyone else have similar issues with their Nobile boards. Has the construction quality been improved on this years models. Mine is a 2007
My boards are from 2008 ( bought them both a month ago or so ) and I am also pretty annoyed about the so called " quality " of Nobile ... for what they cost ( Twin & Wave )

1) The pads are by far the worst I ever had under my feet , they offer 0 cero heel support ( ok the Wave needs flat pads so I can live with it )

2) The G10 Epoxy fins are extremly sensitive , most of them have already dents and the cover epoxy or whatsoever coating is chipping away . comparing to my set of 4 years old TFC fins with more than 250 sessions on them , the Nobiles are at the same level as their pads , crappy.

3) the Bottoms are also sentitive to scratches and they already shows some scratches on both bottoms and ( specially the Wave board with the big fin ) I have never touched the sand while riding ... cause I know that one bad turn too close to shore and the fin is gone .

Best performance boards I owned until now but ...... the add ons are crappy , They could skip the board bag if they would use those savings by offering decent quality fins & pads .

I must admit , I did not expect this from Nobile and for a retial price of 700 Euros per board , I would expect top quality .

Love their boards ( performance wise ) but unless I see real changes they are going to be my last Nobile boards .

Imo Nobile is saving money on the wrong side .... I guess time will tell if customers are willing to continue paying top dollards for less than an average quality board .

I am starting to regret not going with RRD ... and their boards were 30 % cheaper ... :angryfire:

Saludos

Franz

AndreasEstonia
Rare Poster

Postby AndreasEstonia » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 pm

First I want to appologise for my english!
Sorry to hear that dude! I must say that this is the first time I have heard about this problem! I have used Nobile boards since last season. I give them quite a bit of hard work and cant say that they are weaker than any other board I've ridden. I often ride right on the beach and have hit some rocks on the way. My fins are damaged by that but they are showing no breaking or coming off by far! The paint ofcourse comes off easily if in contact with the sand (dragging on the beach, shallow water - they touch the bottom etc) but they shouldnt just come or break off!
And by the way - many top brands are made in the same factory with the Nobile (Flexi, Naish etc). I belive that the same methods are used to make them all (I think that mr Shinn can coment that further). The pads are everyones own taste. I just got my new 2009 NHP with new pads and love them! About scraches to the bottom: I have noticed no more scratches than usually come with any other board!
I think that if you got this unusual problem you should contact your dealer and have this sorted. Maybe it's a manufacturing fault or something!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:13 pm

I have a 2006 555. I thought the pads were OK, not great, and replaced them with LF.

I have used the board very little (about 20 sessions) and only for learning, and never put the fins through the beach, so it is like new. I dont expect any quality problems.

I found the information about where the 666 was being ridden helpful, and I know many (maybe most) kiters do ride in very shallow water and grind their fins and edges in the sand sometimes, but how many companies will warrant a board for that?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 pm

did you use the little plastic things the fin screws come with?

Why not contact them and ask for a warranty? I mean if there is a 2 inch gash and you didn't even notice? Maybe they'll help you out?

Otherwise I'd say the same as Toby..post some pics and maybe someone can help you out?

a. - reading this makes me almost glad they did not respond when I tried to get a board in the US some time ago.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Yeh i will try to get some pics up asap

I really should have waranteed it day one but its soooo hard to give up the performance and go back to your shitty beginer board for the necessary time. Who wants to give up their new toy that they have been saving for all summer. Waurantee would be nice but I doubt there is any hope for that since i got it at the end of the summer of 2007.

I used to use the plastic pieces but took them off since they were getting all bent up and sticking out to the sides. They were pretty much pieces of shit too.

Also going to note that I am not sure how its a manufacturing problem since its been different fins pretty much each time.

Thinking about it I also had some issues with the inserts not accepting screws for different stance options but since it was already in the stance i wanted i didnt follow through on it.

Up until yesterday I was just trying to ignore all the issues I have had since remembering them just makes me sad for having not wauranteed the board in the first place. After yesterday I said F* since I have resigned myself to riding this board to its early grave.

definitely a sloppy job by nobile overall.

prwinds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings

Postby prwinds » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm

the board was 07, Im pretty sure they have if anything Nobile has improved their construction. 09 boards are among the strongest and best riding boards I have tested
Last edited by prwinds on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm

For all that cash 700 euros and the 09 models costing almost 1000 USD, i would expect that board along with the roaches to survive a nuclear explosion

Return to “Kitesurfing”