grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Session 2009 From a Beginners View

Postby grantman54 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 am

Liquid Force Session 2009 From a Beginners View

Kiter Background:
Well, first off I am not the most experienced kiter, but would say I am knowledgeable when it comes to kiteboarding. I spend a lot of time, too much, on the Internet reading reviews, articles, forums, etc. I personally have been flying a Liquid Force 2006 Menace 10M C kite for a year and a half. But I have been struggling to actually be able to ride on the water. I bought the Liquid Force Session for the safety and beginner aspect.

Out of the bag:
I ordered a 12M Session package. The contents included: kite, bag, bar & lines, pump, and repair parts/pieces.
  • • Kite: Pumped it up in my house and was shocked at the construction and time put into every detail. The kite completely holds it shape at all the joints. In addition to the construction, the graphics look very appealing too. Liquid Force thought of everything. They have tie downs for the bridle and even velcro straps for the bar right on the kite. They even added “notes” on the lines showing you which knot to use.
    • Bag: Well it’s a nice bag, but I can’t get my 12M to fit into the bag in its smallest configuration. (EDIT: I learned that you put the kite in first, THEN you "shrink" the bag into its smallest configuration; which works amazingly!)
    • Bar: Very clean and simple. Everything on the bar makes sense and is practical. However, the quick release is very tight. After “breaking it in”, it got looser but still not acceptable in my opinion. It works, but feels too tight. (EDIT: I actually just got a new one thanks to LF and it works fabulously)
    • Pump: Standard pump. The nozzles for the pump don’t like to stay on but that has happened with my other pumps.
    • Repair kit: Has everything you would ever need to repair the kite. However, it would have been really nice if they gave you colored repair material to match your kite instead of just standard gray.
All that sounded really negative, but I want to emphasize how impressed I was with my kite package as a whole. The minor flaws are expected and I wanted to make sure this is a fair review.

Specs for flights:
  • My weight: 200lbs
    Board: 134 Liquid Force Recoil & 145 Liquid Force WLF
    Harness: Liquid Force Luxury
    Beach Conditions: Typical California coast with onshore winds and waves.

First Flight:
I flew the kite on the beach in 11mph just so I could see how it flew. I was instantly taken back by the kite’s performance, especially for such little wind. Sheeting the kite out (releasing the bar) completely depowers the kite, as you would expect. But the kite still flew depowered in 11mph wind! This was very impressive. I was also impressed with the kites turning ability for such little wind. If you power the kite it responds and turns tightly, close to a C kite. The kiter can also control the radius of a turn by bringing the bar farther in/out.

Second/Third Flight:
Wind Conditions: 15-23mph, some gusts
At first I was weary of flying such a large kite in 23mph winds. But after realizing I had so much control over the depower, I relaxed. Within 10 mins on the water I was doing short rides. Keep in mind, I am a beginner and have struggled to ride on my previous kite. Any time I fell or got into trouble I released the bar and the kite would go to 12 or mostly gently drift to the edge of the window. I did probably about 5 water relaunches. I never had a problem. The kite acted predictably and got up almost immediately. Super simple! I was completely stoked that after two days of riding on the water that I was actually beginning to kiteboard. This kite made all the difference for me. It was completely stable, practical, maneuverable, and most of all safe! As a beginner it is nice to have a kite that performs like a “Havoc/C kite” but remains stable and predictable. I am also extremely excited to have such a well-rounded kite. I rode in 23mph gusty winds and in 15 mph calm winds later that day, and the kite performed in both conditions magnificently. Overall, I would recommend the Liquid Force Session to anyone wanting a consistent everyday kite where they can go out and simply ride without any worries.

Light Wind Capabilities:
Well, I would first off say this kite does fly in light-wind BUT it does seem on the heavy side. By light wind I mean 10-15mph winds. My friends were flying 9m waroos and their kites performed/flew the same as my 12m in 12mph winds. It is pretty obvious that when you compare the Session to a Waroo the Session is a heavier kite and thus might backstall. It did for me twice in 12 mph winds when I had it fully powered on the bar and kite. Just something to keep in mind if you are purchasing this kite as a "lightwind kite." If you are looking for a kite for winds in the range of 15-25mph this kite will be perfect.

At a Glance Report Card
  • Inflation system: Excellent
    Control Bar: Excellent/Above Average
    Control Bar Accessories: Above Average
    Safety System: Excellent
    Bridle: Excellent
    Stability: Excellent!
    Power: Excellent when needed
    Turning: Excellent for an SLE
    Pop: I don’t have enough experience to say. ☺
    Bar Pressure: Excellent; Just the right amount
    Depower: Excellent
    Relaunch: Excellently simple
    Durability: Excellent
    Kite Bag: Average; good quality just small for a 12m [EDIT: Excellent! (see above)]
    Pump: Average; nothing special
Attachments
edited.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG
DSC00128.JPG
Last edited by grantman54 on Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

edosan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Puclaro (Chile)
Favorite Beaches: Puclaro (Chile), Paracuru (Brazil)
Style: No Style, I Suck! :D
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Re: Liquid Force Session 2009 From a Beginners View

Postby edosan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Good review, it matches with what I think of the session.

For me the Depower, Wind Range, Stability and predictability of the kite are awsome. Is for a begginer since the kite do not over react on turnings, basically if you are not into Kiteloops, the session is the Kite for you, it is pretty amazing.

Regarding the Pop, is great for Wakestyle tricks, very steady and constant pull. Hang time is great also.

Regards!

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

^sweet thanks!
I hope other beginners will find this helpful, since most reviews are done by pros. This review might be more on their level

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Hey I made a few edits and added "lightwind capabilities" since I thought that it was necessary to include it in the review.

mattyoaks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Francis
Style: wakestyle/waveriding
Gear: Naish Torch and Thorn

Postby mattyoaks » Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Just out of interest what kites are you basing this review on? (ie which kites have you flown to know that the depower is excellent?)

Just wondering :D But It´s cool to get a beginners perspective on a kite, makes a change from the usual "buy this kite now cus its got mega hangtime and I can stay upwind in 10knots on a 10m etc etc bullsh!t"

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 am

Well at the top I list my background which isnt very much. I have owned a LF menace and flown a waroo and a torch. So not much, BUT in the higher winds i have flown the sesion, 24mph winds, it still completely depowered. So im assuming thats awesome depower. Maybe im not used to a SLE kite, but thats why I included my background as the first thing.

gomarpyle
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gomarpyle » Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 am

I think the session is a good free ride kite for beginners to intermediate. 90% of the kiting population would peak out on skill before the kite held them back.

That being said, I had a great first session on the 2008 16m session recently and filmed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxAX7_fPIIA

I am no pro rider... and am fully within the kites ability range....

Notice the kite turning in the window during light wind loops.. For a 16m.. that isn't bad speed or radius.

Kite is very stable.. easy to relaunch.... moderate bar pressure (I prefer a little less since I am used to flying the OR Rises... so I made a direct steering to wingtip bridle mod to lighten the bar pressure... and it seemed to turn a bit faster too... Need more testing to see how the kite performs with more time on it.) The bar pressure would be totally adequate for someone getting into kiteboarding..... and isn't strong enough of a pull to make your arms tired.

As a 2008 closeout, this kite would be hard to be dollar for dollar for value.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 am

I have watched that video. Awesome vid. I actually just bought a 2008 session 9m to add to my 12m. I cant imagine flying a 16m. Does it depower like you would expect?

gomarpyle
Medium Poster

Postby gomarpyle » Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 am

grantman54 wrote:I have watched that video. Awesome vid. I actually just bought a 2008 session 9m to add to my 12m. I cant imagine flying a 16m. Does it depower like you would expect?
The kite depowers really well... and is very stable when depowered. Since it has a full bridle along the leading edge, it really keeps the kite solid....

One thing I didn't mention earlier is how well built these kites are... The leading edge is super reinforced....bomber.... way more reinforcements than even the havoc... Amazing you could buy a 6m AND 16m kite of this quality for about the cost of most kiteboards on the market.. You'd have the "golden quiver" covering all kitable wind ranges... from 10-35+kts...

For the light wind performance of the 16... you can see in the beginning of the video the 13kt winds... and towards the end... Andrew is riding in about 10kts....

Fun stuff...

Kelevra
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sauble Beach, Ontario, Canada
Style: Free

Postby Kelevra » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm

Good review... I appreciate that it came from a beginner. I'm also a beginner and tried out my 6m 2008 Session on Saturday during the end of my first ever up wind session and was impressed... It took me an hour to get up the courage to go back out after it picked up too much for my 10m. The only downside I see is that the throw on the depower is wayyyy too big on the 6m, but the stopper ball helps with that. For a kite that I will probably use twice a year in Ontario, Canada.. can't be beat so far, but not much to compare to...

Return to “Reviews”