Frequent Poster
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

looking for board advise for backside riding

Postby paul m » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:16 am

Hey all, i dont get waves as constant as most of you, so i travel to score. I find i am riding alot of lefts, and since i am left foot foward i end up back side. Anyone working with any shapes that the rail is thinner and you get a more agressive rip off the lip and then drop back in. been thinking more of a smaller board like 5'7 some rocker.....just looking for feed back as i bet j have rode 20 boards in so many condtions inthe last few months, but i am searching for something that fits my style.......i want more rail grip

rambo808
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, North Shore, Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Hatterus, Mokuleia, the gorge
Style: wave, wake/freesytle
Gear: 100% SLINGSHOT
Brand Affiliation: slingshot -hawaii

Re: looking for board advise for backside riding

Postby rambo808 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:22 am

backside in waves is a little tricky. I used to try and ride waves back side but in all honesty you hack the wave way harder front side.. Backside hacks are an awkward feel because your working against the kite. They also look weird if u've ever watched someone ride backside on a kite. Im goofy so going right is switch for me but i def. learned quick on riding switch. You just have to remember to keep weight on your back foot when bottom turning. hope this helps, aloha
Attachments
mike10508WE_MG_1511.jpg

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:15 am

You should give the Underground FreeWave a try.
I have bad knees and so on, and on any other surf board, I just can't take it for very long. (going back side) With the Free Wave, I can do it all day long.
Just the shape of it and it being super flexible and thin, it just eats up chop. And more important, it is absolutely great in waves.
Try it out , it might be the board for you.

PS: I have the 5.8

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 pm

paul m wrote:Hey all, i dont get waves as constant as most of you, so i travel to score. I find i am riding alot of lefts, and since i am left foot foward i end up back side. Anyone working with any shapes that the rail is thinner and you get a more agressive rip off the lip and then drop back in. been thinking more of a smaller board like 5'7 some rocker.....just looking for feed back as i bet j have rode 20 boards in so many condtions inthe last few months, but i am searching for something that fits my style.......i want more rail grip
If you are open to something not purist surfboard design you should try the Spleene Zone. It's a thin board, but has many surf style ride characteristics. I've been riding the 07 model (5-2 tri) for a couple of years, the new 09 model is 5'-8 quad. These boards have lots of flex, super forgiving, very durable...and a sweet ride. I am also now riding a 5-8 round nose fish surfboard (Aviso Lost) strapless on the cleaner days, but the strapped Zone is more fun when it's choppy/sloppy and you want to ride lit and boost airs. Obviously 2 completely different rides, but both fun in their own right. You're welcom to try mine if you can come to St. Pete before May1, or OBX early May.

I'm goofy so obviously my problem is mirrored to yours. I think it is more of a body "english" thing than the board...the geometry/ergonometry of spanking a wave on backside just doesnt seem to work as well as frontside...but it can be done with some extra effort. e.g. I think that for a regular footed rider your body is already pre-wound to smack the lip and turn left off the top of the wave (and vice versa for goofy) so it's hard to get that twisting rotation to be as pronounced going backside unless you really exaggerate body motion?

You may be on to something with the thought that a thin rail will help, since that will keep the board locked in a little more???

just some thoughts...interested in other ideas on this as well.

PS...you can ride the Zone strapless as well

Chicken Loop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Newport Beach, Sunset Beach, and Salt Creek
Favorite Beaches: Cardiff
Style: Wake
Gear: Chicken Loop
Brand Affiliation: Chicken Loop

Postby Chicken Loop » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Rambo808 nice shot!!!!! :thumb:

You are really blasting off the lip. :hotchic:

Thanks for the advice, Switch your Mind. :allbegood:

Looks like your board isn't even in the water :?:

Straps or no Straps? :naughty:

Sal la la la ba ba :jump:

rambo808
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, North Shore, Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Hatterus, Mokuleia, the gorge
Style: wave, wake/freesytle
Gear: 100% SLINGSHOT
Brand Affiliation: slingshot -hawaii

Postby rambo808 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

that was strapless, off the lip at mokuleia this winter.. u can tell cuz my back leg is a little more foreword on the board since im lit and tryin to stay on top the board.. yea switch stance is the way to go for style and hard turns.. i personally think backside looks like u got something up ur....A$$

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 am

I'm not sure it's so much the board as to the approach. Sure, more rocker means tighter turns, however, you give up down the line speed. This comment is based purely from a surfing perspective without using the power of the kite when you surf. When going for a backside(or front side) smack, the more verticle the wave, the snappier the move.Just like frontside, except, you can't see the turn happening, so you have to time it and trust it. Also, go more verticle than you think (almost like you trying to smack it a little behind you). At the top, power your turn around (rather than straighting out at the top to continue to go down the line). If you can get your tail to slide, even better. :D

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:32 pm

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Possibly the most talented surfer.....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xp18I_9gH0

mariner
Rare Poster

Postby mariner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Paul - I meant to reply a while back - hope you still check this thread
Try Richie Buehn in Melbourne (under Buehn Surfcraft I think, or call Spectrum, he shaped for them)
He's shaped several thousand boards (all kinds) & has been a supreme waterman for years
IMHO, he's the Jimmy Lewis of the East Coast
He shaped me a 5'4" off an older Clark blank (xtra stringer width) w/ epoxy - it's greeeeeaaat backside (narrower tail) & has a good toe-side-ride. It is a small swallow tail which helps holding power (as opposed to squash) & the rocker is not extreme, but has sufficient tip-flip w/ panel vee...
Simple, solid thruster which I prefer for backside - I do like my quad (Stretch 5'11" F4) for all around - but I can't beat this board (actually I have...) - it's strong, custom w/ color, & I didn't spend over $500 for da total buffin' out (fins, pads, straps)....
CALL HIM!!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”