Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review- 2009 Hyperflex 4/3 Amp fullsuit

Postby rodeoclown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Bellingham Kiteboarding is proud to carry the best value in wetsuits, Hyperflex.
The latest technology from Hyperflex is amazingly lightweight, super flexible very well built.

Hyperflex's mission is simple, build the best, most functional wetsuit for the price on the market.
Function, performance and value without the excess hype.

What really stands out at 1st glance on this suit is the entry system, its really cool.
The system eliminates a long zip and incorporates a water tight neck seal for minimal rinsing.

On the inside what caught my eye was the polyolefin hollow fiber honeycomb mesh built in to the chest and back.
Its there to wick away moisture and maintain your core body heat.

I like how the rear of the ankle seam is left raw, for a better fit around the big tendon back there.
The wrists and ankles have extra support built inside to help keep you dry and prolong suit life.

Do some shopping, you'll discover that you get a killer suit for the price with Hyperflex.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the 4/3 Amp a solid 69! 8-)

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Review- 2009 Hyperflex 4/3 Amp fullsuit

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 am

Rodeoclown,
Thanks for the review. I know you guys ride in cold water and air up there, so
I am wondering if you can provide feedback on the 6/5/4 and 5/4/3 hooded Amp suits.

Spring and Fall water temps in Lake Michigan can be 40-50 F, kiting in air temps (my limits anyway) down to around 40F. I am a lighter rider, not much body fat, like to be warm and safe.

I have a drysuit, but want a super warm wetsuit for big wave days. Concerns are a.warmth, b. comfort and mobility, c. minimal overlap for suits already owned*, d. durability and good lifespan

*(I also have other wetsuits - 4/3, 3/2, and shorty, and combine booties, mitts, hood and spray top as necessary)

cheers

PS....heard that the sizing runs a tad small?

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:01 am

Roberto,
You always give me so much good advice that it is a pleasure to reciprocate.

On Friday, I took the day off and got skunked. So I figured I'd go for a dunk in my AMP5/4/3 with 5m Booties and 5m gloves. I won it from a contest in Kiteboarding Magazine. :thumb:

After floating around for 25 minutes in 39*F (4C) I was fully comfortable and just starting to feel chilled. I only did a puny swim. If I were really active, I would have been comfy to warm for a very long time I'd guess. Also, I was purposely stretching around to try to let water in. tiny trickle. I wanted to know my limitations before heading out for real.

I had three concerns.
The first was how the entry system worked. Pretty different from past suits. Would it leak a lot and chill my neck/chest? Nope. Forgot the cinch line on the shoulder before I jumped in, I left it loose and it was not an issue. Zippers cost a lot to put on a suit, and now I think they are way overrated.
The second was the hood. I have always hated hoods and this one is even attached. Now I agree that it is absolutely the way to go. The neck felt uncomfortable when I changed into it the first time at home and I was all bummed, but then on the water it wasn't bad at all.
The third thing was that this felt thin in areas I'm used to having 6.5m on. (I have a 6.5m suit that I used primarily as a survival suit on boat deliveries, but it was usable for kiting. Yes, I did get laughed at.). I am really glad I didn't get the 6/5/4. For me it would have been too warm for when I ride. Modern 5/4/3's or 5/4's are plenty for me. So nice and flexible.

The gloves were ok overall. Much thicker than my 3m gloves. Very warm, but very thick. I'll have to see. Anybody used these for an hour or more yet?

The booties were so warm! Tougher to get on than my zippered ones, so I'll have to get easier ones in 30 years. But I could not believe how warm my feet were for an hour in the water. Usually, my toes go pretty fast. I've seen these same one for cheap on ebay. Unreal bang for the buck.

I even bought a 3/2 to replace my O'Niell Psycho II. Haven't tried it yet. It might not be as flexible, but it is so much more reasonably priced! Also, how much flex do you really need? If a suit is more flexible than your own skin, I'd say that's overkill. (Nice suit though)

Yes, I guess you could say I'm stoked on this suit.

As far as fit goes, My 3/2 feels big while the 5/4/3 is perfect. Same size though.

bustingbladder
Medium Poster

Postby bustingbladder » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 am

Hi guys! Glad you all are enjoying the Hyperflex suits. Had always been in the Neil Pryde gear and then was fortunate enough to join the Hyperflex team with Dimitri here at Eclipse. So far the suits have held up to the task and are certainly Gator proof! I used to go through the top of the line Neil Pryde one a year. Now with my new Hyperflex suits, the sessions are unlimitless and I haven't had to hassle Scott Troxell for any new gear cause this stuff lasts!! The quality is certainly there and Hyperflex's price points are where they should be. Affordable to everyone!

Wally Gator

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:42 am

I'll second that the AMP 4/3 is a great suit. I've been in mine for over 100 sessions on the cold Northern CA coast and It's still warm and like new. The top entry is super nice and keeps the suit really well sealed. Killer.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 am

I haven't used Hyperflex's cold weather suits yet, (been kinda spoiled by OR's surf dry).
but if they are made like this 4/3 then I bet they are super warm and flexible.
The seaming is amazing, and the material feels so liquid.
Those sections of polyolefin honey comb on the chest and back put the heat right where you need it.
I was able to get a session in today at my local spot.
Water is 48' right now, and the air temps were in the mid 60's.
The suit was first of all...incredibly flexible!
No constrictions or lack of mobility issues.
The entry is pretty darn nice too, its overhead flap seal adds x-tra warmth I think.
I went without gloves and used 2mm socks and was very comfortable, almost could have gone barefoot with all the xtra heat inside.
This feels like the perfect weight suit for spring and fall.

Hope to see you at our local spots someday Wally, those new eclipse boards look great! :beer:

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:55 am

ps- the sizing does feel a tad small in the chest area, but this is my 2nd hyperflex and the 1st felt that way too at first also. They really relax and mold perfectly after a few sessions, so don't go bigger than what the sizing chart says. I'm 6', 200lbs and the XL is right on.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:16 pm

It sounds like the 5/4/3 is pretty warm, but I would still like to hear if someone has personal experience with the 6/5/4 Amp.

Thanks for all the feedback.

PS...Rorke, if you're ever in Muskegon this summer let me know. I'll probably be up in TC & Empire at some point this summer as well.

mossman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting , www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com
Quality Gear , Great Prices

Postby mossman » Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 am

I really like the fit - the amp fits way better then my e bomb and billy bong gold

Return to “Reviews”