Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New to Kiting. What Type of Trainer Kite should I get?

Forum for kitesurfers
gcp01
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bradford beach
Favorite Beaches: many beaches in puerto vallarta and some in nayarit by punta de mita or sayulitas beach, which is actually where i was introduced to the sport. ever since ive been interested and eager to join this exciting new sport.
Style: i dont know yet
Gear: in the first stages of entering the sport. so i havent a clue what to start with. but i see that i need a trainer kite before i begin my lessons, so i was looking into getting the HQ rush III PRO 300m 3-line trainer.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to Kiting. What Type of Trainer Kite should I get?

Postby gcp01 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:22 pm

hello all. i hope someone can help me out. im looking into getting a trainer kite and the one i have in mind is a 2009 HQ RUSH III PRO 300m 3-line trainer kite. the reason i narrowed it down to that is because i want to have someone that i can learn how to fly a kite but at the same time once i get proficient at my kite skills that i would still generate enough pull so i can use it for fun or maybe even teach my friends. im 5'6" and weigh 138 lbs so im not sure what i should really be getting. anybody want to drop some suggestions if my choice is right or not. thnxs again for anybody who helps me out.

dstil
Medium Poster

Re: NEW TO KITING. WHAT TYPE OF TRAINER KITE SHOULD I GET?

Postby dstil » Mon May 25, 2009 3:31 pm

do NOT buy a trainer kite.

save your money.

with that money pay for some lessons.

A trainer kite is actually useless after one lesson. Only for your personal fun afterwards.

Your instructor may have one for your first contact with the sport.

Cheers

gcp01
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bradford beach
Favorite Beaches: many beaches in puerto vallarta and some in nayarit by punta de mita or sayulitas beach, which is actually where i was introduced to the sport. ever since ive been interested and eager to join this exciting new sport.
Style: i dont know yet
Gear: in the first stages of entering the sport. so i havent a clue what to start with. but i see that i need a trainer kite before i begin my lessons, so i was looking into getting the HQ rush III PRO 300m 3-line trainer.

Re: New to Kiting. What Type of Trainer Kite should I get?

Postby gcp01 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:28 pm

hey thnx alot for the advice. but why do they say on all these guides that its a must before taking lessons? are they as fun as they promote them to be or is there really no need for one. see i live in milwaukee wisconsin and i cant do kiting in water all year round, would a trainer be good for use on snow? see my problem is that i want to get gear that i can use all year round in water or snow. what would recomendations be? thnx again for anybody who decides to help out

TheAlbinoSmurf
Rare Poster

Postby TheAlbinoSmurf » Tue May 26, 2009 1:28 am

Hey gcp01,

I am just starting out like you, but here is my take…

I have put about 6 hours in on my 2-line 2m trainer, and I feel like there’s not much more to learn. Yesterday, I was out, and I was able to carry on a conversation with one guy while not looking at the kite, and while figure-8ing the kite on one side of the wind window. I then was able to do the same on the other side, while not even really thinking about the kite and while watching the one kiter on the water throw down his tricks. This was in gusty 12-24 conditions. I’ve also simulated water starting and falling down and maintaining control of the kite, while not looking at it. I can also loop the kite, and dive it to near the ground and bring it back up without crashing it. I can fly it with one hand in lighter winds, though this is difficult without a chicken loop in higher winds. I’m not sure what hours 7-20 are supposed to bring.

Despite all of this, I have no idea how depowering a 4-line kite changes things like where the kite flies in the wind window. I am not able to practice or simulate any sort of self-launch or water relaunch. In addition, there is no chicken loop on my bar, so I can’t practice hooking in and out and feel that the water starting practice is lacking something. If you have the money, I would say that perhaps the Ocean Rodeo Rise SLE 2m trainer is the way to go, though. However, at ebay, the price is $330, and that’s an awful lot for a kite you’ll probably use for 10 hours. I haven’t seen the bar.

Another option would be a use real 3m or 4m kite (perhaps you can get one used), though at your weight, you would only want to take it out in super light winds. It could perhaps double as a high wind kite once you are on the water, and you could probably use it on snow, though I don’t really know anything about snow kiting and the size requirements. If you just want to get dragged across the snow, you may not need a very large kite. I only weigh 125lbs, and my 2m is able to give me a decent yank when I power it through the wind window in 20+ winds. You could practice during the winter, but I don’t know what you are intending to do with it on snow. HQ sells ram air kites that perhaps could be used for this purpose and that go from 3-5m. You can even get one with 4 lines. http://kitemare.com/trainer%20kites.htm#HQ_Scout_3m

I’d say using a trainer kite has been useful (and it is fun), though you will reach the limits of its usefulness pretty quickly. Also, I’ve learned a lot from watching the Progression DVDs.

-TAS

cometa
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle

Postby cometa » Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 am

+1 on saving the money and spending it on lessons or other kite related gear. I used mine for 1 hour in the beginning and haven't gotten it out since. Can't even give it away - I've tried. Did I learn kite control from it? Maybe only trainer kite control. But that's not what you'll be using. Your first kite lesson will start you on the road to kite flying. If you want to blow some money and impress your friends, get a sport kite for flying on the beach - they're way more fun. I've seen good flyers do some amazing things with them.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue May 26, 2009 1:55 am

Get a 3M trainer kite. Ignore the "save your money" tips.
The trainer is well worth the price you pay for it. The comfort you get from flying that kite in varying wind conditions will directly relate to your kite skills on the larger kites you will fly.

Plus, you'll keep that kite for years and will continue to find uses for it. You can skateboard or landboard with it. On high wind days you can throw it up as a test kite (check the gusts) and snowboard behind the thing. On days that may be a blowout on the water, you can throw up your trainer and have a blast jumping on the beach or hopping on some wheels.

If you really want to save $, you can find 2M kites for $150 or less, but I'd recommend you get a 3M kite as the slower turning speed is more relative to larger kites, plus, you'll be able to have a lot more fun with that 3M down the road.

And finally, you'll end up pulling out this kite everytime one of your friends asks about the sport and you want teach them to fly.

I started on the Airush trainer which is nice. Several kite shops now have the 2 line Sensei kite branded with their logos for very affordable prices. The Sensei claims to be a 2 line relaunchable kite. If you want to spend a little more, also check out the HQ Hyrda 300 or 350 closed cell foil. You can relaunch that trainer on the water...which means you can also have fun with it on a SUP or kayak.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 am

I would also recommend to get a trainer. For all the reasons above. Plus it might be nice just to fool around with it if you have a little wind but not enough time to get to the beach. Something to distract your non-kite friends is also a very big plus. The trainer will take a beating that you don't want to put your water kite through. And if you do your homework your lessons will progress faster for less $.

I would personally look on ebay and get a 4 line power kite less than 5 meters depending on your wind. There are a bunch at the $100 mark and some for less. You can fly the 4 line kite on a simple bar with 2 lines or on the 4 line handles which means you can do more with it.

Jake

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 26, 2009 2:30 am

This looks like a good deal to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OZONE-FRENZY-5M-KIT ... 7C294%3A50

(no relation to the seller)

TheAlbinoSmurf
Rare Poster

Postby TheAlbinoSmurf » Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 am

Hey JakeMoore,

Would it not be better to just get a used 5M SLE kite with standard bar? There are some on ikitesurf for sale (assuming they are still available).

It seems like it would be best to get something that is as close as possible to "the real thing". It could also be taken out to body drag in the water and could be used to drag a kayak or tube.

I like the idea of the HQ Hydra that The Captain suggested as well. If I had to do it over again, I would not purchase a 2-line 2m trainer kite, but I think one of these kites would be good and could be used for other purposes.

-TAS

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue May 26, 2009 4:36 am

haha... I have a trainer kite for sale ....lol buy it!

If I was to do it all over again. I wouldn't buy a trainer kite. I would buy a small SLE may be a 6m and fly it in low winds... under 15 knots

At least I would have a kite I could actually use today if the conditions permitted.

If you are not sure if Kitesurfing is for you... buy a trainer... if you are sure you will definitely have the sticktuitiveness to become a kitesurfer, spend your money on something you may use in the future. Buy it used... heck I bought a 9m for 200 usd... it is not great, but it does the job on the plus 22 knot days...
When you are learning though, don't fly a kite that large in anything more then 15 knots, 10 knots is a great place to start.

Sincerely

Pete

Return to “Kitesurfing”