boom vector safety

Forum for kitesurfers
edmis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby edmis » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:48 pm

i want to share some experience with boom vector kites. i started kiting on naish r3 but soon switched to boom vector foils. now i am quickly going from beginner to intermediate due to very stable and forgiving vectors. as safety is now a big
issue i want to point out that they are safe to learn on. safety line is connected to whole length of trailing edge so dopower works in 99% . kite flatters as flag with little pull though. 1% is due to safety line tangle but with proper line handling you can avoid it. still no experience with spinning jumps. kite is very forgiving. it will never hindenburg. 50 % relaunch is under 10 secs. you just grab the handle and kite lifts from downwind. so you save lot of energy. depower system is very efficient. if you have a problem , depower and just take care that kite dont stall as it has almost no power at all. of course this works in reasoable wind range.

regards

edmunds

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:09 pm

how's teh depower if you are VERY overpowered?

i would not like to let go of a 16m tubekite or a 12m flysurfer if i'm suddenly confronted with 7bft ...
the only kite where i REALLY trust the safety-system is the ARC so far ...

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:23 pm

there is depower or speed system that changes the angle of attack. plus there is
safety line attached to trailing edge. so in general it is the same as on inflatibles, but it is more efficient on vectors. well, in very overpowered situations, if you release the bar, kite is pulled by trailing edge only.

edmunds

kitehead
Medium Poster

Postby kitehead » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:29 pm

please tell us more about the aoa-depowersystem. how does it work? flexifoil, windtools, advance, flysurfer, no one was able to build a foil with an aoa-depowersystem. what´s the boom-secret? thanx!
kitehead

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:12 pm

no secret at all. go to http://www.boom-kites.com
and it works...

edmunds

kitehead
Medium Poster

Postby kitehead » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:59 pm

http://www.boom-kites.com
-> glossary

"angle of attack: (or AOA) is the angle of the kite relative to the apparent wind. The BOOM Vector has a fixed AOA"

???

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:45 pm

quote from website

we offer a SPEED SYSTEM, that lets you change the angle of attack of the kite during flight. That means, you can instantly depower the kite and increase it's
windrange.

i an no expert in aerodynamics, but web page
says it does change the angle and i am very sure that i can depower my kite by pulling leading egde down. it is enough for me.

edmis

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:50 pm

kitehead,

sorry for previos post, i checked the glossary... the glossary was written before Speed System was developed. check out the SS pages.

edmis

kitehead
Medium Poster

Postby kitehead » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:03 pm

thanx edmis, i found it.

they say, the system will not work on any other foil, so there must be a difference/secret (in the shape of the kite?).

thanx again for your report! i´m gonna try the vector as soon as possible ... :wink:

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:34 pm

Hi Kitehead,
the Vector uses an autostable profile, so it does not luff, when pulled at the front lines only. BTW: someone of them must read this forum, they changed the glossary in the meanwhile.
On their website (http://www.boom-kites.com) they mention a new kite, has anybody information about that?

thanks!

Claudio

Return to “Kitesurfing”