Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

OR Mako Wide 140 in Outer Banks

Postby ktflyer381 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm

I wasn't sure what size of Mako Wide to get, but at 175lbs the 140cm seems perfect. I had the best day of kiteboarding I've ever had in the ocean yesterday here in Waves, NC. The winds were between 15 and 20 knots and I was on a 12m SB3 - it was incredible. Lots of power, could stay upwind, jumped huge and was able to carve on the waves. I have been in the ocean before with twin tips and always found it a bit punishing. The Mako really does smooth the chop out like people say it does.

I rode the Mako Wide 140 sound side the day before yesterday (flat water) back to back with my Underground Flx 135x41. The Mako is so much more fun to ride and cruise on, but I must admit, it doesn't work nearly as well for wakestyle jumping as the Flx. If you just want to load up and send the kite for a big air, I really didn't see a difference between the boards, but if you want to load up and pop for any wakestyle tricks, the Mako is much more difficult to time and pop. In fairness the Mako isn't designed for this, I think you need a pretty square tail for wakestyle tricks. You certainly get a lot less splash in the face with the Mako - I find you get a fair bit with the Flx 135.

One last comment on the lightwind ability of the Mako - I have ridden the Mako Wide 140 in 12 knot winds with my 10m SB3 and had no problem staying upwind and jumping. I don't think it has any less light wind ability than the Flx 135. I've heard people comment that with the rocker it has it cannot be good in light wind, but you have to look at the channel in the middle, not the profile at the edges. There is so much concave in the bottom that the channel itself is actually quite flat compared to the huge rocker you see at the side edge of the Mako.

Overall, I think these boards complement eachother really well. I like my 08 Flx 135x41, but I will definitely will be letting it sit unless I'm going to get flat water for some wakestyle tricks. The majority of the time I am in the waves in Lake Ontario and I know that the Mako will be my go to board. Last point - the bliss foot pads and straps rock, I have them on both my Flx and Mako.

poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: OR Mako Wide 140 in Outer Banks

Postby poldo » Thu May 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks for the review, very clear about pro's and con's, seems OK for no-unhooking kiter (like me), looking for my new Mako coming here to prove how it performs. and looking for same wind, too... :roll:

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah now that I'm progressing beyond just riding and staying upwind, I want a board that's smoother in the waves as that's where I'm spending most of my time. I'm doing a demo on the 140 today, well hopefully if we get some wind. I'm about the same size (180 lbs.).

I'm hoping it can stay upwind on light days as well as my Nobile 666EXT, if it can, then I may have to splurge.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Yeah now that I'm progressing beyond just riding and staying upwind, I want a board that's smoother in the waves as that's where I'm spending most of my time. I'm doing a demo on the 140 today, well hopefully if we get some wind. I'm about the same size (180 lbs.).

I'm hoping it can stay upwind on light days as well as my Nobile 666EXT, if it can, then I may have to splurge.

Return to “Reviews”