Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitemann
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Nomad Review

Postby kitemann » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 am

I spent 2 -3 hours on the new Cab Nomad 9m yesterday.

The wind was very gusty +-15 - 25 Knots and i was riding a 5'10 diectional. Waves were small.

Firstly the Nomad is not a c kite, but is a lot more c shaped than the xbow or switchblade. The kite is very stable in the air (rock solid). The kite sits further forward in the wind window than the xbow and switch and is a really awsome kite for wave riding. When riding down the line on the wave the kite doesnt stall or fall back in the window like it would with the xbow (which i was using in the waves before the Nomad). The kite does have a bridal (unlike some reports) and has a pully on the leading edge.

The Nomad is defenitly quicker through the air than the 2009 xbow and turns really well. It does not have the same bottom end as the xbow and doesnt have the same boost for those insane high jumps that i am used to on the xbow but still jumps really well. Once you are powered up the kite has a lot of power and has more power through the turns. The bar pressure feels lighter than the crossbow but the kite still feels very much like a cabrinha. The Nomad still has a lot of depower so you can still dump loads of power when riding the wave but the bar throw and depower is not quite as much as the crossbow.

I havent seen a wind chart for these kites so not sure what the wind range is supposed to be, but the range is not going to be as big as the crossbow. I felt really comfortable on the kite after 15 minutes on the water, so for Cabrinha riders who are thinking of changing to the Nomad its is a really easy transition. I really loved riding this kite and will be changing from my crossbows to the Nomad as my focus is more on wave riding and in my opinion this is the best kite from Cabrinha that i have ridden in the waves. I beleive that the kite is great for the freestyle junkies as well as it is just so stable. I am hoping to get out on the 7m tomorrow - i think the 7m is going to be a wicked kite in the waves. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of the Nomad as a kite. I am really stoked with the new Nomad.

rai0603
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Taiwan suao
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan suao
Style: freeride freestyle wakestyle
Gear: cabrinha switchblade 3

Re: Cabrinha Nomad Review

Postby rai0603 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:46 am

It's seen to like 08 revolver. Can you compare revolver and nomad?
I have riding SB3 12M & 7M revolver. I like revolver's unhook and surfing ability than sb3.
But when i saw the SB IDS bar system. I think that will make me unhook relaunch became a trouble.
So can you talk about NOmad BAR SYSTEM feeling?

lex123
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Narrabeen / Long reef Beach, Sydney, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Narrabeen
Longreef
Style: Wake
Gear: North Team Series 133
North EVO 11 & 7
Brand Affiliation: North and Naish

Postby lex123 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:53 am

can you please comment on re-launch and unhooking?

would be a waste of an early trial if u didnt give both of thoes a go...

Cheers, looking forward to updating :)

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 am

Thank you for your report.
Sounds like the bar feeling is still cabrinha like indirect. :( Was hoping that Cab is offering now a kite that feels like in the good old Cab C-kite days and integrates on the other hand depower a safety improvements.
Can remenber a statement of Pete Cabrinha when he said that Cabrinha will continue his own way.

For me personally it's so much more fun to ride a waroo, nemesis, bandit dos, wainman rabbit, north rebel and even an hifi a C-Kite derivat which has surprisingly a lot of depower.

Is the nomad coming close to any of the mentioned kites above? Is the nomad as direct and fast as the other kites? The new IDS looks sweet.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:40 am

They always used to waveride the Omega, Revolver etc on a pulley bar. Does the Nomad use a longer bar?

When saying the Nomad had less bottom end than the Xbow you were using just before it, was it a 9m Xbow?

Using the IDS in the surf, if the kite is about to be worked by a wave, is the answer to pull the powerline in about 2 metres to save the kite, then release it to get a quick relaunch? I take it, with the IDS, you can no longer hot launch it if its on its back edge?

rai0603
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Taiwan suao
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan suao
Style: freeride freestyle wakestyle
Gear: cabrinha switchblade 3

Postby rai0603 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 pm

I agree ronnie's comment. When i try the unhook tricks and lose my bar.Sometimes kite still stall the zenith windows.i can take my bar again.But IDS if i lose my bar that will totally depower. It's let me waste time to relaunch and more risk in the wave.

Return to “Reviews”