Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

IKO using accident video to take over ALL Canadian beaches!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

IKO using accident video to take over ALL Canadian beaches!!

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi peeps

I read this thread on my local forum and thought someone here maybe able to help develop a strategy to curb this from continuing.

http://www.thechickenloop.com/index.php ... 38&catid=2 <-- please see thread...
Hi Kiters,

My name is Rob McCendie and I am a kiter based out of Montreal but I have had the pleasure of meeting several of you whilst on wave days at Sandbanks. Sorry for the error on the first post. I wanted to inform you all about what's happening in Quebec with regards to the canadian IKO rep who has put together a video that he has shown to our canadian government. His aim is to bring IKO standards to all our local spots throughout the country. This man is on a mission that has alot of people upset.

This renegade IKO rep has posted this information including a link to the actual video he put together for the government. You can all see the thread on Kitezone.ca for yourselves and I recomend you do so because this can affect us all. The video contains footage of the typical kitemares we see on youtube and I am affraid that these scare tactics may actually draw the attention he seeks. This guy is acting on his own behalf and seems to think that he actually represents kiters accross Canada.

Despite about 80 negative responses on the thread our so-called Canadian IKO rep has not felt it necessary to apologize nor really explain his motives. Of course his teaching spot meets IKO standards, however pretty much all others surrounding Montreal certainly do not. I wonder how many of your local spots meet IKO standards, they are quite strict.

My intention is to actively seek a way to remove this guy from any position of influence in our community. I will soon post a few threads about seeking support against his behavior to be sent to IKO higher ups so that they may deal with him swiftly.

I would welcome your comments as well as any advice as to how I may best serve your interests in this matter. Feel free to e-mail me directly or simply comment on the thread. My e-mail is mccendie@videotron.ca

Sorry, I hate long winded threads,
Cheers,

McKite
Sincerely

Pete
Last edited by Laughingman on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: "IKO Canadian Rep has become a problem"

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Wow! IKO is taking a real aggressive move to control kiteboarding in your area and believe i don't want you think it will stop there, they will hit the US too, Is there anything that can be done though?

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Maybe he has been reading how to win friends and influence people. lol

IKO wrote "Australia, UK, Brazil, Spain, Dominican, Hawaii and even Florida have rules that you need to show ID and ability level before entering the water."

This is a lie.

Wonder if Canadian government officials will read this on IKOs website?

Funny - this is just what I was trying to point out may happen in teh other IKO post. As if IKO give a rats arse about canadian kiteboarding other than revenue collecting.

No one understands the situation better than those in their own country you don't need a commercial organization based in the Caribbean with no understanding of local customs, local traditions, local law, local conditions, local language and local culture giving you advice! Help this person understand why what he is trying to achieve is not good for kiteboarding in your country.

For a start he is trying to get rid of the greatest freedoms your county offers, by trying to introduce restrictions.

Sounds like he did not even have the respect to consult (through forum or talk) with his fellow country kitesurfers before going ahead with this absurd idea.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:50 pm

ian c wrote:
IKO wrote "Australia, UK, Brazil, Spain, Dominican, Hawaii and even Florida have rules that you need to show ID and ability level before entering the water."

This is a lie.
For UK there is generqlly no rules.
I know nevertheless one exception: Saunton Sand beach (south Devon).
At the entry of the beach there is a sign explaning that kiteboarder should have some kind of insurance to kite in this place.
No one enforce this regulation but this is a famous surf spot so I guess they do not want a beginner crashing in the middle of the surfer.
This beach is close for kiting in July and August.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 pm

I think to be fair to the IKO it is not necessarily the work of the organisation but their local rep who is trying to perhaps produce a IKOised "solution" of much greater proportion that the size of the "problem".
just my 2 cents
marcfrm wrote:
ian c wrote:

This is a lie.
For UK there is generqlly no rules.
I know nevertheless one exception: Saunton Sand beach (south Devon).
At the entry of the beach there is a sign explaning that kiteboarder should have some kind of insurance to kite in this place.
No one enforce this regulation but this is a famous surf spot so I guess they do not want a beginner crashing in the middle of the surfer.
This beach is close for kiting in July and August.

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Yea organizations trying to take over spots is wrong. Im not going to buy your card and insurane and pay money to ride at the spot I normally ride at. The local rep probably saw the regulations up there regarding PFD's and wanted to cash in from more regulations.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 am

"Well gee whiz by gosh by golly, holly stinkin' clam claps, I think I see a pattern here Batman, they want to take over the world. (IKO)

You're right Robin, they do. And we are going to do everything we can to stop them."

You jack-ashes listnin? Probly are; that's why you've stepped up your reichein campaign to take over the Kite werld.

GO AWAY!!!!! (Tobster's slang checker keeps it clean but it rhymes with phuck off IKO)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 am

So i'm thinkin, I should start my own organization, the ISWWO (international sidewalk walking organization). Just think of the video I could compile of "common" sidewalk walking accidents. I could charge $10 to be certified and make sidewalk walking safe.... Please PM me if you would like to be certified, if I don't get enough interest, I will send my video to all governments and hope that it will be legislated.....lol This could actually be a way to stimulate our local economies, just think of how many people we would need to enforce the certification of ISWWO.

This guy needs to get a grip!

Sincerely

Pete

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:09 am

hey peeps

kiteskool, a member of our local forum, who is IKO certified has graciously provided us with the e-mail address to the IKO.

"You can send an email to office@ikointl.com ...Don't expect a quick reply from the IKO though, they have a bad habit of late responses, mind you if there is enough people complaining, something will get done."... Kiteskool

Sincerely

Pete

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 am

It is now becomming more and more clear that IKO wants a monopoly on access.

this explains this section of the waiver that you have to sign as an IKO member:
4. “RELEASED PARTIES” means the following, including their owners, officers, directors, agents, spouses, employees, officials (elected or otherwise), members, representatives, examiners, trainers, certified instructors, certified schools, independent contractors, sub-contractors, lessors and lessees:
a) The International Kiteboarding Organization (IKO);
b) Each of the person(s) sponsoring and/or participating in the administration of participant’s IKO certification(s);
c) Each of the Power Kiting organizations that are affiliated in any way with the IKO, such as schools, clubs, non-profits, etc… ;
d) The United States of America (U.S.A.) and each of the city(ies), town(s), county(ies), State(s) and/or other country(ies), political subdivisions or governmental agencies within whose jurisdictions participant PARTICIPATES IN THE SPORT;
e) Each of the property owners on or over whose property participant may PARTICIPATE IN THE SPORT;
f) All persons involved, in any manner, in the sports of POWER KITING at the site(s) where participant PARTICIPATES IN THE SPORT. “All persons involved” includes, but is not limited to, spectators, power kiters, vessel operators, assistants, drivers, schools, instructors, observers, trainers, examiners and the owners of any involved equipment; and
g) All other persons lawfully present at the site(s) during participant’s PARTICIPATION IN THE SPORT.
B. I FOREVER RELEASE AND DISCHARGE THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, OR CAUSES OF ACTION THAT I MAY HEREAFTER HAVE FOR SPORTS INJURIES, HOWEVER CAUSED, EVEN IF CAUSED IN WHOLE OR PART BY THE ACTION, INACTION OR NEGLIGENCE (WHETHER ACTIVE OR PASSIVE) OF ANY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.
There is also this bit....
In consideration of membership in the International Kiteboarding Organization (IKO), the undersigned participant (and the parent or legal guardian of participant if participant is a minor), for themselves, their personal representatives, heirs, executors, next of kin, spouses, minor children and assigns, do agree as follows:
So IKO wants all the beaches and is prepaired to throw out all your rights.

Basicly if you are a IKO member and any of the released parties kill you. maime you, blind you etc
even if due to neglegence if you are kiting or setting up you and your family will have no right to sue for damages.

But look at it this way ...

Hello lovely goverment official... We are the IKO and if you hand over all regulation of kiting to us and only alow IKO members to kite you and your goverment will never be held responsible for anything.

Incidently did all you IKO members know that if a non IKO member or even a non IKO kiter kills you by accident or due to neglegence you can't sue him or her.

Return to “Kitesurfing”