Info on Dominican Republic

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Info on Dominican Republic

Postby JGTR » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi, I'm going to the DR for 2 weeks in Jan 2010, can anyone give me some advice please :D

I'm going with my wife and it isn't a kiting holiday but I would like to get a few days in :wink: We are looking at staying on the North of the Island so I can kite easily but need nice beaches, hotels, walks etc for my wife and decent nightlife for us both

So any advice on what area would be good, places to avoid, is there much difference in temp between the north and south, is the south a total no-go for kiting? We were thinking of staying on the South side as this is where most people go but the drive to the north looked too far :-?

Looking at Playa Dorada or Sousa?

Thanks for any help :thumb:

Jay

skyhooked
Medium Poster
Gear: This and that

Re: Info on Dominican Republic

Postby skyhooked » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 am

JGTR wrote:Hi, I'm going to the DR for 2 weeks in Jan 2010, can anyone give me some advice please :D

I'm going with my wife and it isn't a kiting holiday but I would like to get a few days in :wink: We are looking at staying on the North of the Island so I can kite easily but need nice beaches, hotels, walks etc for my wife and decent nightlife for us both

So any advice on what area would be good, places to avoid, is there much difference in temp between the north and south, is the south a total no-go for kiting? We were thinking of staying on the South side as this is where most people go but the drive to the north looked too far :-?

Looking at Playa Dorada or Sousa?

Thanks for any help :thumb:

Jay
Hi J

You haven't mentioned Cabarete - any reason in particular? Got everything you need there and is nice and safe for the family/

Always felt sousoua was a bit - well as lot - seedy and full of prostitutes and looky looky men.

South coast of island; others may be able to tell you more but after going to the High WInd Cenntre in Las Salinas, I'd say avoid like the plague. Shit hole. I also stayed in a very nice village called Bayahibe (sp) which was beautiful - no chance of kiting though

Cabarete could be well placed for the family as there are a lot of excursions and things running from there, nice restaurants, and life outside of the all inclusive complex. For what it's worth, there's a 'guide' to cabarete in the current issue of KS Mag

All the best

keepark
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Brazil
Cabarete, DR
Mui Ne, Vietnam
South Padre Island, Texas, USA
Hurghada, Egypt
Namhangjin Beach, Korea
Gear: Slingshot Rev 13M and 9 M
Aggression Kiteboarding custom wave board
Slingshot Lunacy 132
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby keepark » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Cabarete is where I would stay. I agree Sosua is a seedy place and no place to kite. Playa Dorada is about 30 minutes from Cabarete and you would need to take a taxi or rent a car to get to Cabarete. Cabarete and the adjoining Kite Beach area are the best choices for a combined tropical vacation/kiting trip. My family does not kite but I kite right in front of the villa where we stay between Kite Beach and Bozo Beach. PM me for more details.

Kee :D

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:03 pm

We didn't look at cabarets because it isn't really mentioned much in the brochures. My wife wants to go fully inclusive and there didn't seem to be anywhere in cabarets?

So you are saying that cabarets town has quite a few bars and restaurants and it's a nice place to go for a walk in the evening as I heard that it can be a bit dodgy going out on your own at night?

Thanks for the info, does sound nice - I don't think I could handle being stuck in a resort for 2 weeks so will maybe try and find somewhere nice and fully Inc in cabarets

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Damn iPhone spellchecker, cabarete not cabarets lol

Billy_Goat
Medium Poster

Postby Billy_Goat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:31 pm

cabarete is absolutly fine for walking around at night, most of DR is fine at night. Cabarete is a good choice, for a paradise beach (which can be kited as well :wink: ) try Las Terranes its about 2.5hrs drive east of cabarete. Check out the island it has great stuff apart from kiting. Jan- could be a little nippy in the evenings so take jumper and jacket. I would recommend not going all inclusive, get a villa and car and check the place out

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Is the anywhere to kite in Playa Dorada?

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:09 pm

not much wind in jan expect surf time cuz high swells / waves

Return to “Kitesurfing”