Rare Poster
Local Beach: whitstable
isle of sheppey
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newbie with a 14m Naish

Postby waynerp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:40 am

so would a flexifoil blade or rage be any good?

-Cedric-
Frequent Poster

Postby -Cedric- » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 am

The kite you've bought here is a Naish V4 from 2004. I also used to have a 12 and a 16 V4. These kites are okay to jump and drag, but they don't have a lot of depower. So if the wind picks up fastly, you will get blown away pretty easily on these ... I also advise you to get a bow kind of kite with a lot of depower! What's your weight and what's the wind you will usely be flying in?

Grts!

waynerp
Rare Poster
isle of sheppey

Postby waynerp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 am

hi
i'm about 90kilos 13 stone and will be flying in very low winds to start off with

-Cedric-
Frequent Poster

Postby -Cedric- » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 am

Then the 14 is just fine! But of course you'll need a bar and lines ... The 2004 naish bar fits perfectly on the V4, so if you want to keep the V4, just get a bar of 2004 and try to learn this way, because fitting your kite with a 5thline attachement line, to work with a 5th line bar, is a riscy thing to do in your situation with minimum experience I think ... The 14 will be perfect for your wait for jumping in light winds! Smaller kites from 2004 won't pull alot or won't get you even a little airborn ... Ofcourse if you are willing to buy a bow, then smaller kites will have more pull and will suit better for this, because they are also a lot safer! But if you only go out on minimum windspeeds then the 14 is okay! Just don't do crazy things when the wind picks up!

Grts

waynerp
Rare Poster
isle of sheppey

Postby waynerp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:49 pm

many thx for your help & advice. i am VERY glad i joined up , as i'd prob have broken my neck by now lol!!
i will let you know what happens

tnx :thumb:

-Cedric-
Frequent Poster

Postby -Cedric- » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:42 pm

Also make sure you know how to safely attach your lines, safety leash, etc ... Ask for advice of a kiter how to set up and launch your kite on a safe way! Grts!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Sounds like you want to get into landboarding.

You should go to more of a landboarding knowlegable site.

check out www.foilzone.com several very good and knowlegable land boarders there.
Also check out the flexifoil forums.

For landboarding you want to get the right type of gear.

I would say the most important thing is you want a kite that is very good for long float and soft landings. High aspect ratio foils are good for this.... they really resemble paragliders.

You also want a kite that does not have too much downwind pull so that it's easier to use a land board.

If you think that you might get on the water in the future you can get foils that work on land and water.

Cheers

Fred

waynerp
Rare Poster
isle of sheppey

Postby waynerp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:17 pm

tnx guys.
i'm off up to a place called blackheath tommorow. it is full of kiters at weekends so i will ask for some advice before spending any more dollar!

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Somebody else suggested a used 2006 Waroo. I'd second that. They have a lot of depower, and there are lots of them around. I have a 16m Waroo that will probably hit the local market for about $150, complete with bar and lines (not quite ready to give it up right now, though). It's seen plenty of use and has some repairs on it, but still holds air and works well. I think you should be able to find such a kite in a local market--shipping would cost almost as much as the kite is worth. If you're thinking about landboarding, you might also consider picking up a pair of Coyote Rollerblades (off-road rollerblades). They're no longer manufactured, but will pop up on eBay now and again. I like them better than using a board, but then I've done a ton of rollerblading before I started kiting.

Good luck.

Don

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey, You want to be dragged and lofted????????????? WTH? Search kitesurfing crashes, or power kite crashes on youtube, then tell me if you want to get lofted!!!!!! You should take a lesson if you want to use traction kites safely.

Andy

Return to “Kitesurfing”