lawless
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Central Florida
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pics of a snapped Slingshot Glide - design ideas

Postby lawless » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Some photos of my friends Slingshot Glide that he snapped, then repaired, then snapped again. No fault of the board, he rode this thing HARD for 2 years and he's a 200 lb. guy. He cracked it the first time trying to railslide a submerged boat.

I found it really interesting to disect the construction and see what tricks they hide under the topsheet. Some good info to use as a baseline in building your own board.

Looks like they used a good amount of filler as well to get a clean finish on the dcell core.

Interesting construction, dcell core with a really thin (~1/32") wood reinforcement under the pads offset slighty towards the heelside edge:
brokenglide1.jpg
brokenglide1.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
brokenglide2.jpg
brokenglide2.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Closeup to show how narrow the ABS rails actually are ~3/16" (4.75mm)
brokenglide3.jpg
brokenglide3.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Pulled back shot showing the width of the wood reinforcement, it's about 10.5" wide
brokenglide4.jpg
brokenglide4.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Pics of a snapped Slingshot Glide - design ideas

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:34 am

You may enjoy this video I made which details the 2009 SS board construction. Albeit after some rum...this was my first time seeing the inside of a current board. This year's boards are really impressive. You can see the ABS side rail coming in about an inch on the sides and it comes in about 5 inches or so on the tips of the SX. It really has a lot of protection so you don't blow out that edge. Vertically laminated aspen wood on the edges, some divinycell, and then a very wide aspen wood core in the center. Solid.

I don't think they use all that filler any more that you saw on the old Glide. All the cross sections I saw of this went directly to top sheet after the Dcell or aspen core. The colored top sheet had some other clear sheet on top of it for protection. That probably smooths things out as well. But I'm not a board builder so really don't know what I'm talking about...

Return to “Gear Builders”