Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Never thought it would happen to me. Famous last words.

Forum for kitesurfers
ianwalton
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ianwalton » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:47 pm

Nimbus,

You can definitely ride "on the knot". As it has been said - you need to give the thing a good "punch" to release it.

If you were riding on the knot and needed to release a good shove against it should do the trick, if not you have both the option of using the ball release or sheeting in slightly and giving it a punch.

Like I said, don't worry about these things releasing on their own - I don't think it's really an issue, the ease and safety of the bar far makes up for the once that it might accidentally open in its lifetime.

ian

ianwalton
Rare Poster

Postby ianwalton » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:56 pm

Ocean Rodeo Bars (COM)

Guys -

If anyone is looking for an OR bar, particularly in Ireland and the UK. We have 50cm and 60cm versions in stock...

http://www.mobilekiteshop.com/mks/acc/kitesurf.html

ian

ps: guys I'm not sure what the policy is on "com" messages here, apologies if I shouldn't have said anything.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:06 pm

I still think Wichards are the safest solution, but you have to have them set up so it is impossible to get caught up in your spreader hook (i.e. use a longer connection point so the shackle & ring are right up to the bar at full power). Also whenever I launch in scary conditions I use one hand and have the other on the wichard release. It has saved me a couple times from the scenario you are talking about.
On the other hand "an above the bar" type release may be a good solution to the fact that most of us get dragged on our stomach and can't get to stuff near the spreader bar.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:57 pm

still the best safety device is to be able to simply let go!!
raim airs rule!!!!

imagine if in this case the rider landed poorly after the initial loft breaking one or both wrists. What then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shackles are not safe.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:15 pm

No, snap-shackles are not 100% safe. In fact most of them would be downright dangerous if used for kiteboarding. Out of all the many different snap-shackles made, only ONE brand (Wichard) makes ONE style (#2673 & the like) that when set up correctly is generally safer than a trim loop that you can't unhook from in an emergency (as proven by many past incidents).

As for sanding the lines to reduce tangling. It really is sanding: take the slack out of the lines, & bury them in the sand, so they can't flap around too much. Alternatively you can open the Velcro at the TE of one of the ribs (second or third one in from the tip, depending on the kite) & close the Velcro on the lines. Remove them from the Velcro as the very last step before launching.

I think the Ocean Rodeo concept (the bar IS the release handle) is great. I also think that having a release line going to your wrist is a good idea, especially since you can disconnect it once you're on open water. I'm considering wearing a wrist cuff with a solid line (non-bungee) to a brass clip that I can snap to the release line, just above the ball. Once on open water I can unclip it (leaving my safety system just like it's been for years), wrap the line around my wrist, & snap the clip back to the wrist cuff, to keep it out of the way. Sure it won't spin while connected, but you don't need it to spin while launching & landing. You need to make sure your system will release by pulling in the direction of your wrist. I figure even if it doesn't release easily enough by pulling your wrist back, at least you'll be able to easily grab the wrist line with your other hand.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:29 pm

that does not answer the above question.

you still have to activate in some way the release mechanism.

to many variables and potential disasters.

even the OR bar requires activation

heffe
Frequent Poster

Postby heffe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:15 pm

Qlines won't twist up like that...but once I set a kite up for self-launch I don't leave it...next stop the water. Like Toby's idea of hand on the release...
My $.02
-G

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:45 pm

"Anonymous" wrote:
that does not answer the above question.

you still have to activate in some way the release mechanism.
What question is that? How to have an automatic release? (that you don't have to activate manually)
too many variables and potential disasters.

even the OR bar requires activation
The problem with an automatic release that doesn't require manual activation is that in order to prevent lofting it must release itself with less than your body weight on it (otherwise once it lifts you it's unlikely to release), yet while riding there can be around FOUR TIMES your body weight on the lines, & even while getting dragged on your feet (a very common situation during launching & landing) I'd bet there's more than your weight on the lines.

Alternative

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:58 pm

One thing I do, that no one seems to mention in the 100's of posts on this subject (distrastrous launches), is the following:

First, you need to slowly launch the kite and focus on letting it hover just a few metres off the ground - don't pop up the kite to zenith as soon as you launch. This will allow you to check/make sure everything is ok, including the power in the kite (ie this way you won't get popped skywards if you realise there's too much power).

Second and most importantly - get ready to run in the direction of the kite, if immediately after launching you can tell something is wrong. Running towards the kite will effectively kill the power in the kite, giving you time to use your QR, or whatever means you may have to detach yourself.

I have already done this more than a few times...some while being assisted, bonus here is that this gives the assistant the opportunity to run after the depowered kite (as opposed to trying to catch a powered up kite!).

I use the Takoon bar quick release, and also launch with one hand on the release (a la Toby) - this way there's no way I'll be tossed, since I have plenty of time. thanks to the run, and my hand prepared to release the kite.

Steve

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:16 am

Good idea Steve.

I also agree with Heffe that Q-Power is much more tangle-resistant.

Return to “Kitesurfing”