Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Guy here from Wisconsin

Forum for kitesurfers
Chum
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Calhoun, St. Croix River Islands
Style: Freestyle/beginner
Gear: 2005 9m, 11m, 13m, and 15m Slingshot Fuels - Dakine Pyro waist harness - 2 Slingshot 4-line bars, 1 Slingshot 5-line bar, Homemade board out of my wakeskate and a light wind plywood board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Guy here from Wisconsin

Postby Chum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey there guys. im just getting into kiteboarding and i love it so far. I have a 9m, 11m, 13m, and a 15m of 2005 Slingshot Fuels. I also have three Slingshot bars, 2 4-line bars and 1 5-line bar.

I went out yesterday with a couple buddies and we have decided we are NOT going to take lessons. We were out on an big sandy island on the St. Croix with the 15m in some good winds practicing control of the kite. I have done very very extensive research and i have to say i have learned a lot about the sport. I got the kite up in the air the first time and had her up at 12'oclock in no time. i also got some good figure 8's down which i could feel there was some good power generated out of these things as it was pulling me across the island. I can move the kite to both sides of the window and control it really well without getting it in the front of the window and getting dragged across the sand. I also went into the water with the kite and tried to do a water launch with the 4-line bar, and i got the kite up after about 5 mins of trying. I dont have a legit board yet but i have mad some good straps that i put on my wakeskate and im going to use that for now until i buy a new board.

I hope i can get up on a board soon i just have to practice some body dragging first.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Re: New Guy here from Wisconsin

Postby crash&burn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:05 pm

This is one of the funnier things I have heard in a while.

Could you ,for the record, go into detail about the conversation you and your friends had regarding to take lessons or not. I am really curious to hear how you came to your conclusion.

this is you or one of your friends soon.

after that, you really will be Chum

I live and ride in Wisco, I am not trying to hate, but hopefully down the line educate.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:26 pm

sweet dude. it sounds like you dont have the money for lessons. I was in the same boat. The learning curve is way harder/longer with out lessons and obviously it is more dangerous. But it is possible. Maybe you could find a kiter willing to spend some time with you. I don't know about the 05 fuels; but if they have a 5th line practice pulling your quick release to activate the 5th line.

I would recommend gathering 150-200 bucks for an old used Waroo. Those kites should be "safer" for you to try and learn how to ride.

OH! and always pump up your smaller kites and fly those first. Then if they don't pull you at all, slowly move your way up to the 15m.

Everyone on here is going to recommend you get lessons and treat you poorly if you don't take them. :( Just keep us updated and pics or videos are always fun! :D

Chum
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Calhoun, St. Croix River Islands
Style: Freestyle/beginner
Gear: 2005 9m, 11m, 13m, and 15m Slingshot Fuels - Dakine Pyro waist harness - 2 Slingshot 4-line bars, 1 Slingshot 5-line bar, Homemade board out of my wakeskate and a light wind plywood board

Postby Chum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 pm

crash&burn wrote:This is one of the funnier things I have heard in a while.

Could you ,for the record, go into detail about the conversation you and your friends had regarding to take lessons or not. I am really curious to hear how you came to your conclusion.

this is you or one of your friends soon.

after that, you really will be Chum

I live and ride in Wisco, I am not trying to hate, but hopefully down the line educate.
Not getting lessons because its way to much money. Not everybody does lessons you know. Hate on me if you want but im not going to take them.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:02 pm

No skin off my nose. If you don't take lessons you will probably never get to a point where i have to deal with you on a beach and if you do it will take years.

Be aware that without lessons you will not learn about safety and etiquette and it will be painfully obvious when you show up at a beach without those skills. You will not be welcomed by locals and you will be a liability to yourself and everybody else on the beach, kiting or not.

you are not doing a service to yourself or your friends. In fact you or one of them will get hurt. don't be a cheap, overconfident punk and go get some lessons.

you are embarrassing riders from the midwest, here is your first lesson. Don't be a KOOK (kook basically means douchebag in kiting lingo and you are well on your way)

brny
Rare Poster

Postby brny » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Aloha

I am out here in Wisconsin Hodag country from Hawaii, had some great kiting the last few days.

Anyways I am looking for some people to kite with in Wis, or upper Michigan. I have some of my local spots around here dialed. I would really like to kite some other spots and would love to hook up and ride with fellow Wisconsin Hodag :evil: , or upper Michigan kiters. Superior? :thumb:

I have a fast car and can get places super fast!!!! I would even help out with some instruction!!! but mainly just want to ride with some other kiters. I am in Northern Wis.................Hodag kiters just call or see you at the beach!!

Brny

808-347-0799

hamajusyda
Medium Poster

Postby hamajusyda » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Chum wrote: Not getting lessons because its way to much money. Not everybody does lessons you know. Hate on me if you want but im not going to take them.

Chum, Do yourself a favor and take a lesson. What is going to take you a year or more to teach yourself an instructor can teach you in a few hours plus A LOT more. Give Bob @ Kiteriders LLC. a call (608) 273-1817.

You sound like you done some research on the sport but that is very different then actually doing the sport. Sh!t happens fast and if you don't know how to handle it, you or someone else is going to get hurt.

You may think lessons cost to much but I'm sure your loved ones will think your funeral costs to much!

JC
Last edited by hamajusyda on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Chum,
No hating here.
I question your research a little. If you really had done your homework, you likely would not have written such a controversial post. Moreover, you would have probably dialed in with a used SLE.
Just beware that if anything does go wrong, and a public problem results, you may find yourself in an unpleasant situation, financially, physically, or socially.
My advice, go to the beach to observe as much as possible. Put riding on the back burner until the perfect situation.
You’ll get riding. No need to rush. It will take significantly longer without lessons, but it is doable for a responsible, considerate, patient person.
Rorke
I love the photo by the way, Crash&Burn.

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:31 pm

crash&burn wrote:Don't be a KOOK (kook basically means douchebag in kiting lingo and you are well on your way)
I'd say a kook is someone who is unaware of the danger associated with their actions (in a douchbaggy way maybe).

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm

how much do lessons cost where you live? they are 400$ here for 5 hrs of instruction!!! I find that absurd. Surfing lessons are 25$ per hour here. I did scuba diving in Hawaii with instruction for 5 hrs and that only cost 120$

If lessons would only cost 150$ im sure i and many others would have/be taking them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”