Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

New Resin8's Rock

Postby leepasty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:34 pm

After riding surf boards pretty much exclusively with only the odd flat water freestyle day, for the last 3 years, I have been trying to find a board that feels like my good surfboards but doesn’t break within a week.
Production kite surf boards are stronger but being a surfer, they just feel heavy, stiff and lack the response and feel I want whilst on a wave, so I have pretty much stuck with standard surfboards meaning that if I went on a trip I would have to take at least 2 spares plus all my other boards and sizes to surf with, which meant loads of excess baggage.

After trying the new Resin8 Tokoro 6ft squash, I was just blown away by the response and feedback it gave me on the wave and it felt like I was riding one of my 4oz glass job surfboards! Feeling the lightness of it I thought, to get that sort of feel it wouldn’t last that long (even though they ride over one with a Humvee on the website!) and would soon have pressure dents and heel marks from constantly riding and jumping strapless with the kite.
I have now used it for around 70 hours over the last 21/2 months in everything from 2ft cross on 12m weather right up to triple overhead cross off on the 6 and can happily say, there isn’t a mark on it (apart from a small chip in the gellcoat from tapping my harness walking up the beach last week in 50knt gusts!), no heel dents or pressure dings! The way these new boards flex mean they are super responsive and the 6’0 Tokoro could possibly be the best performance strapless board out there for waves up to double overhead. I’m waiting for the 6’3 Tokoro semi gun to turn up which I think will be absolutely magic when it gets bigger as I am 6’2 - 87kg or if your smaller the Tokoro 61/2 pin will be the one for bigger stuff.
You can check out all the boards on www.resin8usa.com or buy through www.magicseaweed.com and for sure you won’t be disappointed.
You can now ride and travel safely knowing your board won’t give up on you the first time you do an air or get nailed by the barrel!
Resin8 are also working on bringing out a couple of boards with inserts, if you are interested or have any questions, just drop me a message through my website.
For pics of me riding the boards check out my website www.leepasty.co.uk

cheers
lee :jump:

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Resin8's Rock

Postby TopHat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:25 pm

I second the motion.
These boards Rock... :mosh:
Check out the 6'4" Tokoro in action. :cool2:
http://www.revver.com/video/1587282/res ... ra-test-1/
It was a crappy day to ride but the board sure was fun. :bye:

Aloha, ride Safe, Have Fun :hut:

firstcoastkite
Rare Poster

Postby firstcoastkite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I have been riding Resin8 surfboards with NSI straps and pads for 2 years now, and have yet to find anything else that compares. My favorite shape for Florida head high to overhead surf is the 6'1" squash tail, but lately I have been riding the 6'2" round pin. I have had to epoxy the middle pad with the strap inserts onto the deck of the board since it came unstuck after a few sessions, but after that have not had any issues. As stated above there are a couple of small cracks in the gelcoat from the spreader bar that are easily repairable, but otherwise no pressure dings, and I am still riding the same board with the kite after over a year. The boards are vacuum-wrapped with divinycell so even if you get a little crack, it doesn't take on water, so no big deal if you do not get it repaired right away.

A few people that have tried the boards have said that they are a little too light for kiteboarding. The stock boards are 5 pounds off the rack. I have found that the NSI pads and some Dakine windsurfing straps add just the right amount of weight for kiteboarding. Resin8 is working on a kite specific surfboard with strap inserts that will have extra glass on the deck for added strength, a little more weight, and a reinforced deck around the inserts so they do not pull out. I am excited to try a prototype!

If you are interested in getting a new Resin8, they have all the new Tokoro shapes and a new online store at http://www.resin8usa.com.

Uride2
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

How to pick the right Resin8 board

Postby Uride2 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 am

Alright, I've been reading about the Resin8 boards, but which one.....

So I narrowed them down to these 3, but which one (strapless riding)?
What are the differences I would fee?
Resin8 Tokoro 6'4" Mini Gun http://www.resin8usa.com/tokoro_64.php
Resin8 Tokoro 6'3" Mini Gun http://www.resin8usa.com/tokoro_63.php
Resin8 Tokoro 6'0 1/2" Round Pin http://www.resin8usa.com/tokoro_60_1_2.php

I'm 185 pounds, kites are usually 12 and 15m. I've got another strapped board for higher winds.

Any help would be much appreciated.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
porthleven, Gwithian

Postby leepasty » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Sent you a mail.
i would say all depends on type and size of wave as all the boards rock but they do excell in conditions they are meant for!
6'0 squash- beachies/points up to head and 1/2
6'01/2 pin - reefs and barrels/cross off wind
6'3 pin - double overhead + with cross/cross off wind
6'4 pin - slabs and large barrels like chopes

whichever one you go, you will be stoked!
mine are all still going strong, best boards out there for sure
enjoy
:bye:

park1
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby park1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Hey Lee, what fins are using on your 6ft tokoro squash? The standard G5's?

Just picked a bargin on ebay, brand new Tokoro 6ft squash, 1cm damage to nose done in transit £150!!! Took me 20mins to fix and she's ready to rock!

leepasty
Frequent Poster
porthleven, Gwithian

Postby leepasty » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi guys
just wanted to say how good all of the boards also feel in small waves!
Had a demo day down here and gave my 6'0 to a guy to try on the sat at small gwithian so i jumped on the 6'3 and couldnt believe how well it worked in 2ft waves. now not sure which board to ride when its small?
also want to say how well the boards are holding up, done about 200 hours on the 6'0 now big jumps back rolls and all on way out and apart from slight heel dent and scratch from harness its like new.
i use m5 fins on the 6'0 and the new resin8 fins on the 6'3.
will put some pics up on my website so you can see how good the boards still look www.leepasty.co.uk
off to portugal for kpwt event on sunday, cant wait
happy riding
lee :jump:

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08 am

i picked up a custom resin8 gunnyish 6'3x18x2-1/8 (FCS FG3 fins) ... to date i have always kited on polyurethane/glassed boards big and thick enough to also be able to paddle in with. this resin8 is my first epoxy resin board.

other than a few small strapped directionals that i tested out and hated... this is the first 'kite only' surfboard that i own.

two sessions in.. i'd probably want a little more width in the tail and a little more thickness in the board for the <20kn days so this will not become my go to board for all conditions.

i was out yesterday in double overhead mush in side/on 30-40kn gusty conditions and the board worked really well. super fast and stable straight out yet loose enough on the turns. well balanced. the feel is very different from polyurethane/glass. more solid deck feel under your feet. you don't feel like you can put your heel through it the way polyurethane surfboards do when kiting full powered. the thing is lighter than a potato-chip so you have to watch that it does not get away from you and flip down wind. i was afraid the board would feel to plastic-'ee' after 3 years of kiting on glass. it did not. i need more time on the board, but first impressions left me smiling and wanting a lot more.

i put a rear deck pad on it before going out to find my sweet spot (excited idiot with his new toy..). it's a little far back. hard to get the back foot over the side fins on such a gunny board. so the lesson there is.. surf the board before deciding where to place pads or straps..

wax does not seem to stay on these epoxy resin boards very well. anyone have tips on that? i'm thinking this might be the first board i set up with full deck pads to give that a try.

Return to “Kitesurfing”