Forum for kitesurfers
NS17IL
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New and need some questions answered

Postby NS17IL » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Hello all, I am new to learning about kite boarding. I have ben trying to get as much info about the sport as I can, and trying to figure out how I can start to learn. I just got stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC about two hours from OBX, I am told. I have talked to a few shops out that way about lessons, and how to get started and have heard a few different things. I would lie to know what you guys all think. I was told there a few ways to start. The first was to just take a lesson, the second was to buy this package, the HQ Predator 3.3 Power Kite/Trainer Kite and then take a lesson. I am wondering will I "out grow this kite" very quickly, after taking the lesson? Would I be better to take the lesson, using there kite, and then go buy a kite that is not a trainner, that is better? The HQ Predator package costs about $240. Also I have been looking at different boards on-line what are the differences between wake boards and kite boards? If anyone can recommend any equipment that would be good after a lesson please let me know. I weigh about 150. Thanks for the help, I am sure I will have many more questions.
Nate

rclmagic
Rare Poster

Re: New and need some questions answered

Postby rclmagic » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Nate -

I would say take the lesson first before buying any kind of gear. Not only for safety purposes, but also to ensure it's a sport you want to get into. After your lesson, your instructor may make recommendations on any gear (including trainer kites).

Good luck

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:00 am

Buying a trainer kite is a good idea.
Get your hands on a small 2 line trainer kite like one of these

http://www.cobrakite.com/rush.html

Fly this thing for hours before you go take your lessons.

It will make taking your lessons way more effective.

A 2m is big enough to understand what is going on.

You could check with your instructor. He may be able to rent you one.

Also look into independant instructors as well as instructors from stores.

WAZP
Rare Poster

Postby WAZP » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:33 am

The best thing you can do is visit KHK or ocean air- you should be able to find something you like with gear in one of those shops. Some are better then others but I will not get into specifics. Dont go to real because if you get skunked they will not refund you money but only give you store credit- which is not bad if you plan to buy gear but sucks if you only wanted a lesson.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:41 am

Buy the trainer, and learn to fly it on your time... not while you are paying 100 bucks an hour for an instructor... if this seems distasteful to you... then kite boarding may not be for you... the cost to get going with a board, kite, harness, water wear and lessons is far greater then $240 bucks... if you really get addicted, which is pretty much inevitable... you will need another board and 2 more kites within a year or 2... hell I started in March and I already have 3 kites and looking to either buy or build another board or 2.... and the gas! Hah... $240.... is a drop in the pan!

Sincerely

Pete

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:44 pm

Definitely agree with the above advice to invest the time and money flying a trainer kite. Learn to fly it until:

- you know the wind window intimately

- can fly it in light wind without dropping it

- can fly it without having to look at it

- you learn how to generate power

Then you should find an instructor to teach you safety, rigging, more safety, body dragging, then waterstarting. You can start with a smaller inflatable until you're ready to get on the water. You can crash their kite to your heart's content then buy yourself an appropriately-sized kite for riding that your local conditions demand.

It doesn't make sense to pay an instructor to watch you fly a trainer kite.

NS17IL
Rare Poster

Postby NS17IL » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:27 am

Yes I do understand that this is going to have some bigger costs than $240, the $240 is for a trainer kite is that reasonable? I also found a T Foil trainer for much less would this work?
Thanks for all the help.
Nate

NS17IL
Rare Poster

Postby NS17IL » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 am

alright I am looking at the HQ Hydra, the Rush III, Rush III Pro, or the HQ Predator. The Hydra is a trainer that can be used in the water it costs about $260 it comes in two sizes 3.0m and 3.5m. Or the Rush III it is a two line system, and costs about $184 for a 3.0m. And the Rush III Pro is a three line system and it costs $220. The Predator is a three line system and comes as a 3.3m. Which kite would be the best to buy, and what size should I get? I weigh about 150 and am 5'9". All these are trainer kites.
Thanks for the help guys, Nate

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:22 am

Get on ebay for a trainer kite you can pick one up for 100-150 easy.

ryuu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: local mud holes called lakes
Gear: lf

Postby ryuu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 am

Right now real has a new 2m trainer for $50 and a 3m for $100

Return to “Kitesurfing”