Favorite Beaches: Naxos - mikri vigla
Style: joyride- waveride
Gear: naish helix'es sol2 008
Brand Affiliation: NAISH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wave boards shapes, etc

Postby tavern » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:20 pm

So guys I 've been dealing and riding with surfboards a few years now and finally I have desided to talk with some shappers about the characteristics my board should have. I know that there is not magic recipies for the best board, in fact there isn't any "best" board.

But!!! I would really like to know what tha basic shape's parameters do to the performance of the board. Can anybody help me on that, please?????

Grommet74
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wave boards shapes, etc

Postby Grommet74 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

isn't that what you talk to the shaper for?

Jade
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Co2 (Oulskool Low / Medium Aspect C kites) Full Quiver
Cabrinha 5'9 s-quad
D'light Custom 6'2 Thruster

Postby Jade » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 am

you might find this link of interest, its from one of the local shapers in Ireland, I've seen a few of their boards and am really impressed, I'm thinking I might just have to get me one soon!

http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/design.htm

heres another Irish link that I found interesting about tail designs
http://www.surfinghandbook.com/surfboard-tail-design/

If you are going down the custom route, I think a good plan would be to take two of your current boards with you when you meet the shaper and talk about your likes / dislikes of each of the sticks and then let the shaper work his / her magic.

None the less I still think your right to educate yourself in the language of board design so if they suggest some thing too radical you'll hear the alarm bells before its to late.

Good Luck with the new stick

Jade Out

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:56 am

Shapers......

The main problem is that most custom shapers are working with old materials.
Same old foam cores and crappy glass..... and some even claim that polyester gives you a better ride. The stuff is even ecologically disgusting.
They will also refer to everything else as pop out boards.
From just most shapers you won't be able to get anything with the kind of construction you would get from Surftech or Aviso.
Good news is that both Surftech and Aviso are offering high tech boards that also come setup for kiting.

A while ago I spoke to a kiter that told me so and so shaper (a big name in kiting) was building him a board. Saw it a few weeks later... absolutly identical to one I'd previously seen.

I've also found shapers to not be receptive at all regarding new designs and ideas.

I tried to find a shaper to make a custom directional board for low low wind and racing.
Couldn't get anyone to do it because all they are really into is poping out the same or really similar designs.
I finally made my own. Looks terrible and smells like a park bench... but works like a charm. Great low end and terrific stability and speed in chop.
Just because the construction required a faom to abs core and a tail that was way thinner than any surfboard they did not want to build it. Custom shapers my ass.

There are loads of industrially made shapes that are built to very high standards out there and designed by the best people out there.

Just take a look at Aviso's vast array of shapes and special hulls.
They can make kite surfing editions of just about all their boards.

http://www.avisosurf.com/Boards.html

Slingshot will be marketing Aviso construction boards very soon.

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I find most kite wave boards to thick at the tail for my weight (66 kg).
A thinner tail carves better and doesn't jump out of the curve.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 pm

peterheirman wrote:I find most kite wave boards to thick at the tail for my weight (66 kg).
A thinner tail carves better and doesn't jump out of the curve.
You're right.
In the FireWire kite range there is the Taj 5'11 which has probably the thinner tail in the market, and is a pleasure to ride ... being a light or heavy rider

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

Return to “Kitesurfing”