Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Azores kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
Bstevs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: Airush vapor III 12,10m, Airush FS pro132 board, 2010 Cab Custom140/Ronix Ones
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Azores kiting

Postby Bstevs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:38 am

Does anyone kite in the Azores, Sao Miguel? I will be there for about 2 and half weeks in August.

teklife
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Azores kiting

Postby teklife » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 pm

i hope someone answers as i am curious about this myself.

however, from the research i've done, it seems, as is common of volcanic islands everywhere, that sandy beaches are very few. wind should be good though.

Bstevs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: Airush vapor III 12,10m, Airush FS pro132 board, 2010 Cab Custom140/Ronix Ones
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Bstevs » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 am

I actaully go there every year but it will be the first time I'm bringing the kites. There are a few beaches with black sand and some with volcanic rocks. The waves are fairly large. Problem with these beaches is that they are very crowded on the beach and in the water with swimmers, surfers, and boogeyboards. I've never seen kiters but my cousins there told me they have so I'm trying to find these people. There is also a sort lake by furnas with flat water but not sure if the wind gets in there as its in the mountains. If no one responds I still will be kiting there and I'll give a trip report :wink:

leia
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby leia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 pm

I kitesurf in Sao Miguel, Azores. The best and the safest place is praia das Milicias on the south coast, and it is good with southwest, south and southeast wind. It is also possible to kite in the beach of Ribeira Grande on the north coast, but there the waves are big and the currence is strong. Summer months are not so good for kiting as there is not much wind... Autumn, winter and spring are better, I think the best months are February-April. It is also possible to kitesurf in the lakes, but the wind there is very gusty.

Return to “Kitesurfing”