Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

TORO 8

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:12 am

What about the TORO 8??

What is the fun condition wind range for this kite???

is it good in gusty conditions?

which one do you prefer for an 8 size, a TORO or a naish X2.

thanks for your comments...

Regards,

Tim.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:15 pm

The Toro 8 is fantastic in gusty conditions. It is very stable and superb controlable. The turning speed is just about right (I use the outer settings). I had not a chance yet to test its upper wind range but I have the feeling that it is huge. You see, I have been fallen in love with that kite....

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sake » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:21 pm

Easy question. For a 8m get a Toro.
In the bigger sizes I have 2 AB2002's, but for a "small" kite the Toro is great.
At the windspeed that you will use a small kite, you'll appreciate the stability and easyness to fly. And still (almost?) no compromise in speed and lift.

I had a Rhino9.3 and I've used an AB2001 and 2002 6.3. The AB 6.3 were more or less OK, but I definetely did not like the nervous flying of the Rhino9.3.

mike
Frequent Poster

Postby mike » Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:32 am

What size bar are you guys using with the Toro 8 or 10 ??

Cheers,
Mike

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:08 am

the upper limit of the toro 8 is not as far as the 6.3 airblast, but the toro flies much easier - the handling and feeling is more like a 10m kite.

but the airtime's not so good.

if you go out w the AB 6.3 it's really hard, cause you're 100% focussed on everything, knowing that the slightest mistake means pain.

it you take the toro 8, it's more like kitesurfing -- with more wind :wink:

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:20 am

Wipika C-bar 50cm.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:30 am

Oh yeah, airtime of the Toro8 is about the same as an 2002AB 6.3. The 2002AB6.3(my friend had an 2001AB6.3 and has now an 2002AB6.3) just needs a little less wind to go really high. Both jump floaty and give a soft landing.
I have fun now also at high winds.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:23 am

the lift and airtime is better with an X2, but in gusts the Toro is softer, since the X2 has a stiff profile and doesn't get weak when the gust hits. The Toro is softer and when gusts hit and can bend a little and takes some power out of the gust.

mike
Frequent Poster

Postby mike » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:04 am

Lately, I've been using a Toro 8, 10 and 14.

I'm 63kg and ride a WT147 (soon to be replaced by a WT137! If anyone is interested in a 2nd-hand WT147 - purchased in April 02 -let me know on mike.flysurfer@gmx.co.uk).

Previously I was on high AR kites.

So far I find the Toro's very stable, good depower, good performance in gusts.

The upwind ability is good (IMO not as good as high AR kites but this is something one would normally expect). In anycase, when reasonably powered up, upwind is not an issue.

Jumping and hangtime is reasonably good but for really good air you need to be really powered up. I find that jumping on the low-end with the Toro's is not that great (or maybe I haven't figured it out yet) as it was with my previous high AR kites. Jumping on their high end is impressive.

I really enjoy the Toro's when really powered up. When it comes to trying new tricks etc, the Toro's are excellent. Really predictable and forgiving. I'm what you may call an intermediate rider and ever since I got the Toros I've practicing on spins, 360's, 720's, fwd/back loops and I feel a lot more comfortable going for any move with these kites.

I have flown the 8 yesterday in close to, or perhaps exceeding, its high end at times. Wind was 20-33knots. For my weight it wasn't much fun during the 28/30+ gusts but I was hanging in there waiting for the wind to die down. Sea was rough with small/medium short breaking waves and moderate ocean swell (the Wave Tray rocks in these conditions by the way!). I felt I could use a faster kite while wave riding but then again I did not try switching to shorter lines which should have been better I think.

In short, IMO the Toro's are great kites for people who want to learn new tricks and would appreciate a more stable/forgiving kite. Sure there is price to pay in terms of performance but this is not too much. Plus you don't get your a.. kicked every time you try a move :smile:

I'll be probably switching to higher AR kites next year (Sypertype or maybe the new Mach2 :wink: ) if I feel ready to handle them while still performing tricks or if I miss that extra bit of performance.

I just thought that the above would be interesting to the group.

Regards,
Mike
F.One, RRD, Flysurfer.de, Underground dealer for Cyprus.

Return to “Kitesurfing”