Postby kitemovement » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Zephyr 17m Light Wind Kite

Postby K3rM1t » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Hey Brian!

Don't forget us poor souls down in San Diego (Indian words for "Utah, only WAY better!"). ;)

We'll test the heck out of that thing!

.Joel
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby .Joel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 am

Some photos of the Ozone Zephyr.....

More photos here: Ozone Zephyr Kite

Something interesting I noticed in the photos was how far in the rear attachment point is! On a kite this big I thought you would want it as far back as possible, however they have moved it forward. This will undoubtedly result in less oversheeting and stalling of such a large high aspect kite.

Good to see a company building a "light wind kite" instead of just marketing their largest kite as a "light wind kite." This seems purpose specific.

Regards,

.Joel

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:04 pm

It's totally sick so far. It amazing going upwind! Speedy as well.

Well rounded, fun in wave, point sails in our heavy long-shore currents, make the downwinder obsolete!

The NW crew seems to like it so far.

Zephyr, WHAT a rad name for a kite.

It won't disappoint! It's floaty in the air, and fast as shit on the water! I have no idea how Ozone did it!?

faster than a potato out of my potato gun
:baby: I'm not giving it back! :bye:
Attachments
17m zephyr.jpg
see? fast as shit!
17m zephyr.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
17m zephyr IV.jpg
Sauvie's Island Killer
17m zephyr IV.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
17m zephyr VII.jpg
nice curves baby
17m zephyr VII.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:33 pm

How is the bar pressure compared to a Sport+ for example?
Thx
Frank

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 pm

I was fortunate enough to be the first kiter in Utah to ride the Zephyr and weigh 240 lbs. Thanks Brian!! I was able to switch from my SS Glide right to my Blunt 135. This kite pulls like no other. No gym membership needed. Heavier bar pressure than the 15m Sport but not too much. Definately cool to be able to ride my smaller board in super-light wind conditions. Flies great with no back-stalling and turns surprisingly quick for a kite that size.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 pm

ok I put my question in another way....any idea whether the bar pressure would be equal to a Flysurfer speed² 15m,?
Thx
Frank ( who hopes his Speed² 15m will be sold and hope he will have a Zyphyr soon :-? )

eli_anderson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, OREGON
Favorite Beaches: Oregon Beaches
Style: surf, wake, snow and sand
Gear: ozone only

Postby eli_anderson » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Ok, man words can't really say it more than just grab and go.

I like bar pressure. NOt a ton of pressure, but enough to feel where she is whilst doing silly stuff.

in low wind, the bar pressure was there, as one would have to push pull on the bar to get desired quickness, once the windwazup, less input was required to make the kite move vertically. At any time i felt I could control the pressure by increasing or decreasing my board speed, if I was riding fast, the pressure was med-little, If I rode slow, kite further out on the edge, seemed to require bigger inputs and there was med. pressure. I rode it for 2.5 hrs straight on one evening session.

compared to the Sport +, man thats tough. both seems to be around the same, go fast, less pressure, go slow more pressure.

There is a difference, in a side by side, same winds, example, 10mph, by 15 sport + will get me up, and I can take 'closed reaches' and jump a little higher finishing with a nice solid loop, you get some pressure from that.

In the same wind with the 17m, I could take the same reach, but board speed is quite a bit faster, once I pointed harder into the wind, the board speed slowed a little, but the speed upwind is very respectable.

Sport probably has more Pop, the Zephyr has some OUTSTANDING float! Both were nimble while floating.

I like the brute strength of the Sport, and the blazing speed of the Zephyr. Don't even get me started on the Edge Rx, cause it is even faster, more boosty, and crazy nimble!

I actually removed the pig tails on the back lines, in order to increase the pressure and the low end grunt, once I was on 'step' I let the bar out for speed. I made it Back Sheet/Stall as I tend to prefer some back stalling when in waves, specially big waves. and on KGB's also.

It likes to go fast, at some point I realized, slowing down the kite before redirecting, kept me up on plane while transitioning, once I was ready, I slowly let the bar out, half was ish, and she opened up again.

The Sport to me, is totally versatile, wake, dangle, wave, light wind it's all good.

The Zephyr, flat out kicked everything ass upwind, downwind, accross and it kept me riding my 132 when I'd be on a surf/skim board with my 15 sport.
I basically describe the bar pressure as perfect, you can cleat, or add some trim to speed up the kite and decrease pressure at any point.

Does that help? I tried.

I had a 16 year old kid on it yesterday in super light winds, I told him just try to stay up wind, well, on his first reach he jumped 4 times one right after another, and still went up wind.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 am

eli_anderson wrote:Ok, man words can't really say it more than just grab and go.
I like bar pressure. NOt a ton of pressure, but enough to feel where she is whilst doing silly stuff.
Does that help? I tried.
Thx a lot to for the effort to explain.
I ride a Strapped surf Naishboard 6'1" (directional) which got me going in (8)/9 knots with my Flysurferspeed 15, the next kite was my 11m sport + and a 9sport+. Also have a OR.Mako 140x40

It always was a weird combination of relaxed cruising and stressed worries with the FS speed, because of, what if I drop it ( which rarely happened) but in lightwinds there is always the danger that all of a sudden there is no wind anymore...also I love Ozone and its light bar-pressure, ( had 2008 sport now 2009 sport+)
With this Zephyr the "what if, I drop it stress", would be gone, because of the float and not a zillion tiny bridles that love to play mikado/spaghetti, you know what I mean.

I have 83kg so the 15flyurfer had enough power to get me going in light winds, the 17 zephyr will surely do the same hopefully with the same windrange !
Just cannot wait to test it...( Europe Belgium /Holland)
I think again Ozone is proving they are a compnay that is not following trends in a way like just producing and throw on the market, I hope that as usual they took their time to bring a product that functions without worries.
What is the standard line length of this kite? 25m? 27m? (32m like the zeeko)

Now waiting to change my gear in a Zephyr, and some ozone wave-oriented ( read fast flying and stable) ozone kites in 2010
Thx
Frank
Antwerp

aTi
Rare Poster

Postby aTi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 am

Nice to eventually see a real dedicated light wind ... tube kite!
I was thinking of a rx13m² as my light wind kite (I'm 70kg/150bl) that I could use with a 150cm board when wind would be really light.
Now I'm a little bit confused :lol:
Is 17m² going to be too big to handle for my weight? Or could it be the ultimate light wind I was waiting for so long???
If someone has tried the rx13m², what low end should I expect with either the rx or the zephir?
Thx

Return to “Reviews”