rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are you really that cool...

Postby rightguard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 am

Kind of funny story.

I just started kiting and have only been out 5 times so far three of those times were lessons. Today I was launching from Kite beach, and my wife was helping me launch. Of course she is brand new too, only done it twice now. Well she picked the kite up strange and ended up getting down wind of the kite, of course getting it all wrapped around her. I know this is not good, but there wasn't much I could do to help.

The crazy thing is that there were three guys standing about three feet away from her, just watching. They were toooooooo cool to help a newbie. Then this guy yells at them "hey, aren't you going to help her" and they still just stood there. So I yelled at them " hey, could you help her out." So this guy walks over all huffy and helped. He got me launched and I had a great time playing around in the waves for my first time.

I just can't stand that you have to rely on other people in this sport, and that it seems like no one really wants to help you. I've heard that maybe Naish beach is a little more friendly, but I've been apprehensive to try a new beach when I'm so new. I guess I'll try it anyway.

Thanks for listening.

tungsten222

Re: Are you really that cool...

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 am

sorry bro to hear that. I feel ya. I havent really experienced that but I will say a big confidence booster was when I learned how to self land and launch. That way I know even if the people on the beach fail; I can take care of myself.

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 am

If you have only kited 5 times then launching at Naish beach is great advice, especially if you are coming to grips with going upwind...I would launch at Old Man's at the top of the kiting area and.... people will launch you! You can't hang out at lesson land forever! :thumb:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 am

Just out of curiosity, how old were these guys?

BTW. It is perfectly easy to self-launch and land all you want and it is 100% reliable provided you have decent technique and practice it. It's still good form to offer to help people if you can.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:05 am

I'm guessing late 20's early 30's... I think one of them was an instructor. The instructor was the one that ended up helping me, which I think was very nice, but it's too bad it takes so long to get a little help. Seems like instructors would be the first to come running when they see something dangerous. Especially when they only have to take a few steps to help.

I guess I'll try moving up the beach a little. I'd like to try and learn how to launch and land myself, but I'd like to get a few pointers first. I've asked a bit on here, and I think I have some ideas how it's done. I should just go try and do it.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 am

that s why i stick with my foils, i dont have to ask for help because, i m alone most of the time or peeps dunno how to launch a kite or land a kite or want to help or stand still doing nothing...i d rather count on myself than on someone.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 am

rightguard wrote:Kind of funny story.

... Of course she is brand new too, only done it twice now.....
This is the reason, they didn't dare to help... a brand new wife of someone else ... do not touch / help; can be very dangerous...

Now serious: the least thing they could do is help her (and you).
What helps is to first turn the kite and give it to your wife the way she only needs to hold it and release when you're ready. Then go to your bar and prepare to launch, take good position so there will be no presure in the kite, when ready Thumb up and your wife will let go.
This works good with my wife (not new.. to the sport)

With foils it easier to self launch and land but on a crowded spot also difficult.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:32 am

they should have helped immediately.

Many people do help. Never mind the idiots who don't do...they are not worth our time typing here.

Make sure you always help to be better then they are.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 am

voodoospirit wrote:that s why i stick with my foils, i dont have to ask for help because, i m alone most of the time or peeps dunno how to launch a kite or land a kite or want to help or stand still doing nothing...i d rather count on myself than on someone.
I used foils extensively for 5 years (and test rider for a manufacturer) and people helped me all the time. Most people would do the right thing and grab fabric and hang on until I ran up to take the kite from them. It was always funny when some guys would grab the middle of the leading edge and try to roll it over.

I switched to bows when they got good. Launching a bow is as easy as a foil, if not easier. Self-landing a bow is by far the easiest and safest of any kite. Far easier than a foil, especially in strong winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”