Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are you really that cool...

Forum for kitesurfers
Bstevs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: Airush vapor III 12,10m, Airush FS pro132 board, 2010 Cab Custom140/Ronix Ones
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are you really that cool...

Postby Bstevs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 am

I translate this as being lazy. Don't be surprised when you loose access to your favorite spot if you are not willing to help keep people safe. Noobs want to be safe, but when faced with a local group that is not willing to step up to help them out they may need to ask their wife for a launch and think of it as something that was required. If everyone on the beach was stepping up to help, you would not be the only one helping every 1 or 2 minutes... your basically saying that your conversation is more important the safety of your fellow kiters... shame on you. If you think it is required for a kiter to be able to self launch and land and you see someone that doesn't know how... why not help them, teach them, share a bit of your experience. By stepping up you could be helping to avoid a serious accident, would you rather be saying... I could have done this... but I was to busy talking to bother?

Sincerely

Pete
Well pete, nothing annoys me more than seeing some noob come onto the beach without any lessons ignorantly thinking that hes too good for that. Its like driving a car without a license. I do not respect these people, let them learn the hard way.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:13 am

Bstevs wrote:
I translate this as being lazy. Don't be surprised when you loose access to your favorite spot if you are not willing to help keep people safe. Noobs want to be safe, but when faced with a local group that is not willing to step up to help them out they may need to ask their wife for a launch and think of it as something that was required. If everyone on the beach was stepping up to help, you would not be the only one helping every 1 or 2 minutes... your basically saying that your conversation is more important the safety of your fellow kiters... shame on you. If you think it is required for a kiter to be able to self launch and land and you see someone that doesn't know how... why not help them, teach them, share a bit of your experience. By stepping up you could be helping to avoid a serious accident, would you rather be saying... I could have done this... but I was to busy talking to bother?

Sincerely

Pete
Well pete, nothing annoys me more than seeing some noob come onto the beach without any lessons ignorantly thinking that hes too good for that. Its like driving a car without a license. I do not respect these people, let them learn the hard way.
Bstevs

Sorry if I was not clear, I was not referring to people that are too ignorant to take lessons, mind you I would still try to help and keep them safe since an accident at my favorite spot would be disastrous for the rest of us. Of course you should take lessons but the first few times you go out on your own, you question everything you are doing, confidence levels are low, especially if you took the one weekend all inclusive lesson. It is not enough time to learn what you need, but try and tell that to a noob that just laid out $600 bucks for these lessons. I'm not saying it is right, but there will always be those first few sessions that you learn more then you could have during lessons.
You did it, and everyone else will too, so instead of ignoring them, why not help to make sure they are safe, and that there are no accidents at your favorite spot.

Sincerely

Pete

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 am

I think the situation is getting bad with respect to launching and landing kites in busy places.
I could go on and on about people being idiots and arrogant dips but lets get real.

If I see a kiter that needs a landing I run! Lets really promote that part. If someone needs a grab on a kite get you lead out and jump on it. We all have had that scenario before and will again. Do not just look at some bugger getting trashed!!!!! HELP.....................

Launching.... well a lot need to get THEIR shit together but in the same breath what goes around comes around.

Oh well kiting is getting popular and all the good, bad and ugly are now part of it..........

Stan

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 am

Rightguard,
Don't go hating the locals because they're tired of advising every kiter who can't launch properly. They're not too cool, they've just seen it 1000 times before and are desensitized to your plight. I've been that guy and yes I know when I should lend some advice but half the time I get yelled at for even trying by some cocky beginner who can't launch but obviously has everything under control. Its one reason why I kite at the point instead of Kitebeach or Naish beach. Some of us have been at the beach for years compared to your hours and well, we're all a bit tired so it takes us a few minutes before we head over to help but don't take it as being too cool. We only run when its an emergency.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 am

assmaster wrote: Nothings more annoying than standing trying to have a conversation with someone when you have to land or launch a kite every minute or 2 because someone hasn't learnt how to do it by themselves.
Oh poor you.... interupting you gossip session to land someones kite....

Hey landing someones kite is like a handshake or holding a door open to someone.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 am

Toast... I really wasn't trying to bash anyone for not helping me. I don't expect everyone to come running to help me. But when there is a cute little girl getting wrapped up in a kite don't you think you would want to go help.

I know I have a lot to learn and I'm sure that I'm just getting in every ones way. Although I'm sure at some point you were a beginner too, and I'm sure you needed help as well. I always try and be as respectful of the people around me, I help when I can and I get out of the way when I can.

Hope this didn't seem like a rant, I just wanted to share and see what other thought about the situation. Aloha

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am

good list tungsten!

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 pm

C'mon. Everyone has gotten all puffy and gone off on so many tangents here it is masking the issue.

I don't care what the circumstance (as long as it is safe for you to help), nor the kiters experience level, nor the conditions.....Picture a person holding a kite directly downwind with lines tight. That kite is pushing her over, tight lines are probably wrapped around her and slicing badly. You help. Period! No question. No excuses. No discussion points. You just help.

Chungmu
Frequent Poster

Postby Chungmu » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:C'mon. Everyone has gotten all puffy and gone off on so many tangents here it is masking the issue.

I don't care what the circumstance (as long as it is safe for you to help), nor the kiters experience level, nor the conditions.....Picture a person holding a kite directly downwind with lines tight. That kite is pushing her over, tight lines are probably wrapped around her and slicing badly. You help. Period! No question. No excuses. No discussion points. You just help.
Couldn't agree more! Makes me sick to think that other kiters are not willing to take a minute to help launch or land a kite. So much can go wrong at this point whether noob or expert. Mother Nature has her own rules and why risk it.

A lot of the time I can only get out for a brief 1 hour session during a lunch break from work. No matter how big of a rush I am in to get on or off the water I will always make the effort to land or launch someone's kite. I don't care if they are an expert of noob. I have seen folks self launching and I will just walk up and offer assistance. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't but at least I offered. I guess for me I would hate to see someone get hurt when I could have helped prevent it, but maybe that is just me.

- C

Return to “Kitesurfing”