Forum for kitesurfers
bignick
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cab 13m Nomad vs 11m Revolver

Postby bignick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am

Hi has anyone tested the 13m Nomad as I have a 11m revolver and have ordered a 13m Nomad, my mate tested a 11m Nomad and told me it was only as powerful as his 9m revolver !!! If this is the case then I would be wasting alot of money on the 13m Nomad as it would only be as powerful as my 11m Revolver. Has anyone else got any info on the 13m Nomad in realtion to low end power in comparison with the Revovlers - and the wind range chart that Cab have on thier website must be rubbish ??? thanks :thumb:

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Re: Cab 13m Nomad vs 11m Revolver

Postby Kosh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 am

I've been told that buying the 13m2 Nomad aint recommended since it doesnt have much power, for lightwind the Crossbow was a better option. Bought the 11m2 Nomad myself. So currently I got the 9m2 and 13m2 Crossbow 09, and the 11m2 Nomad. The 13m2 Crossbow and 11m2 Nomad fits quite nice. Unsure what to do with the 9m2 Crossbow..using it very seldom, guess I just keep it for the really windy/unstable days.

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Hey Kosh,

I was looking to put a Nomad in my quiver and was thinking the 13 would be the size I would go after so having 2nd thoughts after reading your post. Im still pretty happy with the 10m SB3 and was thinking the 11m Nomad would be exactly in that range. I have the 16m CB IDS for light winds and was looking at the 13 Nomad as the faster turning kite to fill in - ANyone have first hand experience on teh 13 Nomad ?

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:18 pm

I recently purchased a Nomad 13 and 9 to replace SB3 14 and 10. The 9 is still in the plastic bag but I've used the 13 a number of times. I weigh 195lbs and have a number of boards. In nicely powered conditions this kite rocks. Very smooth power delivery through both the gusts and turns. The speed of the 13 is similar to the 10 SB so it can deliver a fair amount of power when you have to work it. That said it is still a bit less than the SB14 and I wouldn't recommend it for your light wind kite unless you weigh a lot less and/or consistently get 15kts plus. I have a Flysurfer SA 19 as well which had too much overlap with my 14 so I think it's a great combo I have now. From my experience the wind range chart on the web site is good, it might have a little more bottom end then advertised. In similar conditions I'm jumping a good 5ft higher with the Nomad vs the SB and I'm still dialing in the improved turning speed so more to come. I've only ever ridden the Revolver once so I wouldn't want to compare.

bignick
Medium Poster

Postby bignick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Alpower thanks very much for your comments they are really helpful to me, I was getting worried that I had ordered the wrong kite. If the 13m Nomad is almost as powerful as your 14m SB3 then it will be fine for the wind range I want to use it in - 18 - 23 knots the 11m Revolver is good from 23 - 30 knots for me. I am 94kg and ride a directional in waves, I am from the East Anglia on the East Coast of UK and we often get over 15knots. Its great to hear the turning speed is as good as a 10m SB and it sounds as if it jumps good too. Would you say it is as powerful as a 12m SB ?

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 am

Probably similar in power to the SB 12 but it is quite a different kite. The SB is a very grunty kite that sits back in the window, this sits further forward. It goes upwind better and you really notice the difference when you loop it, how smoothly it pulls through.

bignick
Medium Poster

Postby bignick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 am

Cool well thanks again am pleased that I have ordered one now, by what you have said it seems it will be a great kite for wave riding. :cheers: :dance3:

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Just a tip here on the Nomad: The Nomad generates it's power from turning off the wingtips. What this means is that it's a very active kite to ride. If you want to just park your kite, then the Nomad isn't for you. If you don't mind flying the kite around all the time, then the Nomad is sick. It's not designed to generate the power of the other Cabrinha kites, but if you consider being active and constantly working the kite, then it's on par with most of the industry's kites with the low end. The high end is exceptional and the depower is contained in a short distance of travel. Again, this is a kite for experienced riders that are searching for a certain feel.

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks Cabby - that makes allot of sense, with that said how does it do in Gusty conditions ? Im really wondering if the largest Nomad at 13m still fast enough and stable enough in the gusts to move the kite where you need it and be happy with the performance or would you then recomend SB for gusty conditions ?

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Had the chance to test the nomad 9 a couple of days. First day in 25-30 knts, setup on 2nd knot(middle). Great kite, great feel, impressive highend compared to SB, nice and quick.

Next day i have flown the nomad 9 back to back with the SB 8m in the low end of both kites.
Nomad again setup up on middle knot, not very responsive and not much power, and a lot of steering required.
Then took the SB, which had more power and needed less working.
Later on i gave the nomad another go on the third knot for most power. Kite felt quite different. Lot more responsive and more power. No backstall on 3rd knot.
After that the wind picked up a bit, and the Nomad came alive. More momentum after the pop, more kick in the kiteloops. Freestyle kite!!

Overall Nomad needs to be flown more active. But then it does come close to the lowend of the bowkites.
When riding in the lower end the bowkites are still the better choice i think. Nomad shines in the higher end.

Enjoy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”