ezo
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Indestructible boards?

Postby ezo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Its time for a new board =(.

I'm looking for something indestructible cause im poor=). Ill pretty much ride it for everything, waves, freestyle, etc...

I thought my old north jamie was holding up pretty good, but it seems after a year and a half the top laminate is getting a little brittle and starting to crack from rough landings and sun+salt water.

Can anyone recommend a good board? I was looking at underground they look pretty solid, my friends naish thorn seems to be holding up but ive seen the grav pads break a few times on other peoples boards.

I'm looking for something with a really good laminate to hold up against the beach and small rocks, nice flexing core so can take some rough landings, and solid rails that will take some dings from dropping.

kenny KAF
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beauduc, France
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France :-)
Style: old style, big air!
Gear: Peter Lynn kites and old F-one SK8
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn kiteboarding

Re: Indestructible boards?

Postby kenny KAF » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:31 pm

nothing is indestructible... Pay attention to your gear to make it last long: do not let your board taking the sun on the beach, rather cover it or slide it under your car when you do not use it so the sune does not wear it.
Rince it after each session
do not kite in shallow water, this causes the sand to wear the under of your board!

I'm still using my F-one SK8 from 2003. It's rock solid and in pretty good state but I look after it. :wink:

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:20 pm

plywood..
go crazy

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm

kenny KAF wrote:nothing is indestructible...

I'm thinking he might literally mean indestructible..but of high quality, and there is some differences in how boards hold up....but your tip about taking the board out of the sun when not in use is good :-)

Anyway, yup, I have the same impression thorn has held up super good. My flx held up too, so no problem with that.

Look at the shpaes and what you want the board to do... :-)

If you are worried about the grav -d check out the new one...it is very comfortable...

ezo
Rare Poster

Postby ezo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 pm

No not literally indestructible but as you guys have noticed some boards are way more durable than others.

Yea i'm really thinking about the FLX and Thorn... I did leave my jamie in the sun a lot... I pretty much rode it 275/365 days last year... And when it wasn't on the water it was on the beach or someone else was riding it. Considering that it held up pretty good=), maybe I should just stick with north.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:31 pm

I have yet to hear of or see a broken Spleene in 4+ years, (except one that spent 3 days jammed in rocks being pounded by waves and then repaired later). I've owned and ridden many of them.
http://www.spleene.com/html_english/start_english.html

If you want a one board quiver the Rip shape is best, unless you want a directional - and then you should look at the Zone.

They have lots of sizes and shapes, and now 2 different categories: HiTech (all the bells and whistles) or the FunTech (less expensive and still nice, not as many choices).

Which size depends obviously depends on weight, kites, conditions, etc.

One thing though - the boards have very thin edges and doing beach grinds and hitting rocks will eventually damage the board (any board for that matter). Other than that I throw mine around without much concern and they hold up fine...I've ridden my 2007 Zone for 3 years, 150-200 sessions per year - no sign of breaking down. I also have some '07's Rip 28*, Door 54* & 64, an '08 39Session* and Rip34*...no sign of coming apart after Lots of abuse by me, friends, and students. I've never had a customer come back with a problem or not pleased. That's been another huge factor in my choice to handle these boards.

I am currently selling some of these (*) to "freshen" my quiver with '09, and '10's. Let me know if you're interested.

BTW...really nice pads on these boards...and the '09 pads/straps are the best so far.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:36 pm

ezo wrote:No not literally indestructible but as you guys have noticed some boards are way more durable than others.

Yea i'm really thinking about the FLX and Thorn... I did leave my jamie in the sun a lot... I pretty much rode it 275/365 days last year... And when it wasn't on the water it was on the beach or someone else was riding it. Considering that it held up pretty good=), maybe I should just stick with north.
Well if you're looking for a board, then try your candidates out. I have ended up with the thorn outline the past few years after riding the few few editions of the FLX. The thorn seems to fit my riding very well. I moved to the momentum now, as I would like to get back into unhooking...it is a little softer ride, but still holds a lot of power.

ezo
Rare Poster

Postby ezo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Are you riding a momentum now?

The main difference between the Thorn and Momentum is the momentum has a softer flex for landings?

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:12 pm

I've heard that Crazy Fly's are pretty hard to break. I have an original Best Float 133 that just won't die. Beaches, Sliders, cable parks you name it. It's seen many other boards snap like twigs and I keep going back to my "back up".

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 pm

crazy fly is probably the best desighn and construction...an awesome board

i ride a LF drop 05 and its pretty much indestructable. The pop and surf is epic but the board doesnt go upwind very well

go with the crazy fly theres used ones for not that much

Return to “Kitesurfing”