Forum for kitesurfers
Ismo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Near fatal accident at sandbanks, poole

Postby Ismo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:13 am

I use assistant about 1-2 times per year.

Why so seldom?

because I don't live in crowded are where are other kitesurfers. normally here are nobody else! not even outsiders walking by. or if here are anyone else kitesurfing, someone is the last one and he must do sololaunch.

solo launch is only possibility to me to go kitesurfing.

Ismo

ps.

pl downwind lauch continues in arcusers.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:31 am

stanroc wrote:Foils can be hot launched as long as it is not inflated. The kite then inflates on its way to the zenith, slowly powering up as it gets into more and more of the "right" shape before getting completely inflated at the zenith.

In high wind conditions, however it can be very dangerous.

How much space is there downwind at the sandpoole site?

Hope the guy gets a full recovery.
No, bad advice, closed cell water foils should never be hot launched, unless its really light winds.

There is a very simple technique to get a decent amount of air into them prior to launch.
Stand on one tip, hold the other tip above your head at the edge of the window, the airflow will fill the foil quite quickly in strong winds, pile sand on the upwind tip that you were standing on.

Go to bar and hook in for launch, rehearsing SRR, and make sure leash and depower system is within reach and operating.
Launch to the edge of the window, and then keep the kite LOW and GO into the water asap, do not bring any kite to the top of the window in strong winds, keep it low in the direction of the water, and garab your board as it drags you in to the water.

Body drag out with the board in front of you so you are more than a line length from the beach then bring the kite overhead and do your water start.

@PMU You are a tosser mate.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

PS NEO bar and safety release are sub standard compared to all push away below the bar systems and would have contributed to the accident from the description of the person that went to the poor guys aid.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 pm

chemosavi wrote:Tobsters, ANybody home? You've banned many for much less. In fact I can't think of anyone who's flamed more that this dipshit.
I'm second to to that :thumb:
and his fake user's identity should be revealed from his known IP Address :bye:

I hope the kiter's recovery will be quick.
Anybody heard how he's doing :?:

robbygk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: bournemouth, poole, sandbanks
Style: Freeride
Gear: flysurfer unity 10m, pulse2 8m and speed 3 15m

Postby robbygk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 pm

After Going back to the beach and talking to some of the guys who where there when it happen, more has come to light.
Yes, the foil was hot launched on a very gusty day
Yes, he was lofted towards the road and myself and one other tried to get him back on the ground and get to his safety.

The bit that i didn't see because I was trying to stop the poor guy from flying away, was as he reached for his safety, he down looped his kite. This was the thing that flung him into the car.

From what we've be told from the hospital, he got a 5% chance of regaining the movement in his arms. The outlooks not good.

I hope that everyone who's tried to turn this into a "foils are Shit LEI are great" thing should take a good hard look in the mirror and think.

This accident happened not because of what kite he was using, but because of inexperiance.
I, myself wish to never have to witness something like this again and stand by as someone life is ripped from under them.

Just be safe, whatever you fly

Bidello
Medium Poster

Postby Bidello » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:03 pm

robbygk wrote:After Going back to the beach and talking to some of the guys who where there when it happen, more has come to light.
Yes, the foil was hot launched on a very gusty day
Yes, he was lofted towards the road and myself and one other tried to get him back on the ground and get to his safety.

The bit that i didn't see because I was trying to stop the poor guy from flying away, was as he reached for his safety, he down looped his kite. This was the thing that flung him into the car.

From what we've be told from the hospital, he got a 5% chance of regaining the movement in his arms. The outlooks not good.
I'm so sorry to hear that, it does really suck. Let us know whether there's any support we can offer at all, as KF community.

PMU: sei uno STRONZO. Find out yourself what that means, smarta$$

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:29 pm

oh, ok, just another "grab the bar when i shouldn t do it at all cost....."
i wonder how many accidents are caused by that " grab the bar at all cost" feature..... :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”