Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Testing the 9 m Ovando 2010 ( final test on the 2nd page )

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Testing the 9 m Ovando 2010 ( final test on the 2nd page )

Postby panchito » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi

Well .... if you wanna read my CV and about the bits & pieces from the kite ( bag , bar etc ) read my review about the 5m Ovando ...

One change.... the bar is 5 cm bigger than the one that came with the 5m
My today´s setup ..... My Shinn board 42 , 9m OV ( 23 + extensions )
Anyway .... today was a kinda light wind day n Tarifa , received the kite 2 days ago so I thought I just hit the beach and try it out ....

At this point I can tell you for sure that in those conditions I would pump my 13m Edge right away ...

Check it out ( was kiting from 16,30 till 18.00 )

When I arrived at the beach, the wind was ....

11 knots !!!!! with 16 knots gusts !!!!

Most of the kites on the water were 11 m Warrro 09 , 12 m Switsblade ( or whatever the name is ) , 12 m Rebel 09 and so on and so on .... a few 9m out there but one with a surfboard and a few woman´s ( I guess around the 45/50 kg mark )

I was AMAZED that I was fully lit , most of the time during my 1 1/2 hr session I had the kite on park modus , sure I was not able to jump rather than some 1 meter ( wannabe ) jumps but I had a fantastic light wind session with a 9 m on not more than 12-13 KNOTS ...

Amazing !!!!!! it is like a dream come true .... have NO IDEA how long I have been dreaming about to be able to kite in such winds with an 9m .... actually I was doing better than most kites out there !!! and I have no idea the reason , but this kite ( as well as the 5m ) point up wind like no other .... started to follow some folks on their kites to compare how well I was doing and in probably 100 meter I was able to overtake them going upwind like 20+ meters ??? with a 9 !!!! :jump:

Again ..... this kite needs some experienced hands .... it does not like to get over sheeted , when you make a hard turn you need to release the bar a bit otherwise it could overload itself , on 27 meter lines it´s a bit slower than a regular 9m 8 but then again it has a far better lowwww end ) .

I did not crashed the kite since the beach was still full ( most newbies ) and need to wait till Sept. 15 until we finally get our beaches back AND all these tourists are GONEEEE .

ON the weekend we ( hope ) are getting some nuclear Levante so we should get some decent 20 ish knots in my local spot here in Sotogrande .

Stay tuned .... wanna try out the top end of this kite

So folks .... this is me after todays session

Thats the face of a HAPPY kiter ....

Saludos

Franz
Last edited by panchito on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

melky
Rare Poster

Re: Testing the 9 m Ovando

Postby melky » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:49 pm

my impressions . . .

we have had no wind like forever now . . .

2 weeks ago, used the 9m on 45cm bar and 23+4m extensions . . . in about 10-15 knot winds . . . biggish board 142x42 . . . found it a bit slow though powerful enough to keep me upwind . . . and going while 13m slingy fuel wasn't doind any better . . .

yesterday i used it in 15-19knots on a 55cm bar and 25m lines and it felt great . . . fast, efficient and very much fun to ride . . . the kite turns on a dime as they say . . . was on a 132x39 board . . . tried the 142x42 and was really blasting in the same wind . . .

jumping requires a different approach to my ripper 9m and it seems to lift you off the water a bit gentler . . . got some nice jumps in the gusts . . .

i am about 89kg . . .
Last edited by melky on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:17 am

melky wrote:my impressions . . .

we have had no wind like forever now . . .

2 weeks ago, used the 9m on 45cm bar and 23+4m extensions . . . in about 10-15 knot winds . . . biggish board 142x42 . . . found it a bit slow though powerful enough to keep me upwind . . . and going while 13m slingy fuel wasn't doind any better . . .

yesterday i used it in 15-19knots on a 55cm bar and 25m lines and it felt great . . . fast, efficient and very much fun to ride . . . the kite turns on a dime as they say . . . was on a 132x38 board . . . tried the 142x42 and was really blasting in the same wind . . .

jumping requires a different approach to my ripper 9m and it seems to lift you off the water a bit gentler . . . got some nice jumps in the gusts . . .

i am about 89kg . . .

Hi

Thanks for your input

Yeah , on 27 m lines the kite is really only for light wind ( as well as the 5m with 27 m ) the turning speed is ok but as I said on my 5m review , I would only use the extensions to squeeze the last bit on the low end........................... but it was a fun ride !!!!!

Forgot to mention , I found the bar pressure just fine , hate bars without any feeling so I had no issues or whatsoever after 1 1/2 hours on a row .

Saludos

Franz

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Second day ...

The wind was definitely stronger than the wind report below ...since the only one we have, is for Gibraltar ( 10 km away )

I was kiting there from 13.00 till 14,30

I was today in Palmones ( was hoping to get some decent winds in my local spot in Sotogrande but the wind was not as forecasted )

Anyway .... when I arrived at the beach all I saw was 11 / 13 m kites so I thought I leave the extensions and went kiting ( big error ) since the wind started to pick up above the 15-16 knots and I was already riding with the bar almost on the top of the throw , as long I kept the kite low , it was fine but specially on the turns , the kite generated lots of power that it started to lift me while I was trying to make the transition !!!! so I pulled the trim strap a bit ( EH do not call it de-power strap ) so as soon as you find yourself riding with the bar above 1/2 the throw you must pull the trim strap a bit ( 1-2 cm ) at a time is enough . I personally prefer to ride with the bar on the bottom so I have extra de-power when a gust hit me , even knowing that I have to be careful not to over-sheet the kite .

Remember : this kite generates tons of power for its size and together with a 25 cm short QL throw you need to get the feeling for " fine " tuning the trim strap , it took me a few sessions on the 5m to get used to it and it will probably take me a few more so I " get " it on this size.

When I had the chance to use a wave as a kicker , got a few nice jumps ( around 4-5 meters ) , again , same as the 5 m , just before landing pull the bar hard forwards so the kite generate some extra lift while it turns.

Self launching & landing on those winds works just fine ... nothing different to my last kites .

Stay tuned , hope to test the kite in the 20´s some time this week

Saludos

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Testing the 9 m Ovando 2010

Postby panchito » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi

Not much to add to this review since I was not able to go to the beach for a week o so and today I was hopping to get some stormy 18/22 knots west wind but when I arrived at the beach ,the storm was gone and the wind dropped below the 15 k mark .

Anyway ... Yesterday I got a new shipment of Rippers for testing ( 9 & 6 ) so I had both 9m´s on my trunk hopping to test them .

I first went out with the Ripper and can´t say much about it more than this kite does need a few more knots to work comparing to other 9m kites in the market , I guess on the other hand it must have a better high end ... funny combination if I think about it : Ultra flat + Ultra high aspect , I will write some reviews from both kites as soon as I get some decent wind around town .

Anyway .... had today another wonderful light wind session with the 9m OV , everyday I get a chance to try this kite out , I like it more and more , the low end is phenomenal , look at the wind we had today , I was kiting with it from 16, 15 until 17, 45 pm ( or so ) it does not show much but the wind never got over 15/16 knots during my session .

The funny thing is that when the wind get over 15 or so knots you have to pull the trimmer ( it is actually when other 9 m´s start half way to work :wink: )

Saludos

Franz
Last edited by panchito on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Is this maybe because the 9m Ovando has the surface area of a normal 11m and the number on the kite means nothing?
Just kidding man kite looks interesting just wondering what the deal is on these.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:08 pm

stefaans wrote:Is this maybe because the 9m Ovando has the surface area of a normal 11m and the number on the kite means nothing?.
Don´t think so but next time I will lay it over a 9m Waroo or something like that to compare and post the pics .

Saludos

Franz

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 pm

perfect that would be great.

melky
Rare Poster

Postby melky » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:51 pm

hey Panchito . . .

i have been waiting for your 9m review . . .

i have one but the wind above 15 knots has deserted us for such a long time . . .

though . . . i'm 88kg and have used the 9m in the 15+ range and didn't have to touch the depower . . . in fact it really starts to come alive after 15 knots . . .

the 7m i fell in love with immediately . . .

the 9m has shown me that it too can be special . . . quick turning and no stall . . .

will add to your review as soon as i get some wind of which there is little forecast at this stage . . .

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 am

melky wrote:hey Panchito . . .

i have been waiting for your 9m review . . .

i have one but the wind above 15 knots has deserted us for such a long time . . .

though . . . i'm 88kg and have used the 9m in the 15+ range and didn't have to touch the depower . . . in fact it really starts to come alive after 15 knots . . .

the 7m i fell in love with immediately . . .

the 9m has shown me that it too can be special . . . quick turning and no stall . . .

will add to your review as soon as i get some wind of which there is little forecast at this stage . . .

Hi, Yes please . You can add your comments if you want , I am always glad to hear from other users .

I´m a bit lighter than you ... 73 kg :wink:

Wind has been a bit disappointed lately , also I had to finish a contract and had no time to go to the beach so I am the first looking forward to try this kite to find out the upper end .

My favorite for now is the 5 m OV .... that little toy is so much fun above 20 knots for wave riding ...

Saludos

Franz

Return to “Reviews”