Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Switchbalde 10 relaunch?

Postby Dj A-Ron » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi guys, I bought my girlfriend a 09 Switchblade 10m IDS. She's had one lesson with a 9m Convert. I also had my lessons a couple years ago on the Converts.

I flew the SB in light winds 8-12mph once just to re-familurize myself with the Cabrina's cause I use LF Havoc's since my lessons. The SB would not water launch! I had my 16m havoc pumped up so I switched to that kite and it launched no problem. Then tryed my 12m Havoc...no problem. I kept having to have my girlfriend launch the SB for me. I have the rear bridle set to the rear settings and hooked to the second knot up on the pigtail. Just curious if I'm doing somthing wrong or if these kites have known problems with relaunch? When I had my lessons I had 25+mph winds so the kite had no problem relaunching.

We both had fun with it once it was in the air. I even got up and riding with the SB and my Cabrinha Plasma board.

Minnow
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Galway, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Dooks, Kerry, Ireland. Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. Sunset Beach, Oahu. Nobbies Beach, NSW. The Lagoons, Fuerteventura.
Style: doggie
Gear: F-One Swing 5mtr. Mako King

Re: Cabrinha Switchbalde 10 relaunch?

Postby Minnow » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 am

Have 8 and 12 IDS Switchies.. No problems relaunching.
Sooo much easier than my last kites.
I am not long kiting and trying new stuff so these kites get plenty of relaunch practice.
Was the kite under inflated or were you over sheeting and stalling it?
That wind (8-12 mph) sounds light, maybe too light although
I never had trouble relaunching even if the wind is too light to get me going.
I use the lightest bar setting and the second knot like you do.
Must be some other issue, they have a reputation for easy relaunch.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:24 am

Definatly not under inflated! I always pump up my kites rock hard. I was thinking that I pumped it up too much or somthing. No problem with the kite once I launched it. It flew fine. Like I said I got up and riding in that light wind. I have quite a bit of experience with multiple brands of kites and I'm not doing anything different. I was just surprised that my Havocs would relaunch no problem and these Cabrinha's are supposed to be very good at water launching. Oh well, I was more or less just helping my girlfriend get a little more experience flying the kite. We'll be waiting for wind! :-?

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds like something is off. SBs are very easy to relaunch. Pull a line and their are out of the water.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 pm

water launch...but how? it depends on the kite position in the water. if its leading edge down, just pull one line till edge of window, and up she'll come. in those really light conditions, it's sometimes possible to get water into the inside strut area of the kite as it rises to launch position, and that acts like an anchor. if that happens, i usually keep pulling the same outside line till the kite almost flips over, with the leading edge now up, and then quickly pull the center line with a back'n'forth motion to generate lift and up she'll go. again, this is only in light winds and has never been necessary in stronger winds..if you do this in stronger winds for whatever reason, it'll come out powered, so be sure to steer it quickly to windows edge and extend arms to depower. i do the same if the kite is leading edge up in the water to begin with. in general , SB's relaunch easy but every situation (especially lighter winds) has its nuances.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 pm

The 2009 SB launches much easier with the bar sheeted OUT all the way. What I have found on the 2008 and 2010 SB is that they launch quite easier than the 2009. Anyway, the 10m should launch no problem in that wind range provided that the bar is sheeted OUT.

Return to “Kitesurfing”