Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Never thought it would happen to me. Famous last words.

Forum for kitesurfers
sid5150
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odd

Postby sid5150 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:46 am

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see gadgetry as the answer here.

Why don't you simply launch unhooked?

You may lose a little of your wind range, but that won't matter when it is really blowing. Just give the depower strap a tug to tame the beast a bit.

It may not be the most elegant & advanced solution, but at the end of the day you'll live to tell the tale. Don't trust those shackles, too many limb-rending horror stories contain 'but I couldn't get to my shackle'. Ocean Rodeo or Naish seem to have a good safety system, check their website or your local store. I can't vouch for any other company, as I have little or no expeience with them. I love my Cabrinha but I wouldn't trust their bar's realease mechanism in an emergency situation.

Sid sends

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:22 am

hi Jo - Yip i found the later pics and now seem upto date. Cheers. working on it this weekend I came up with the same as you but with an extra bearing swivel. I love the leash grab idea, as i was sailing and on land with the kite this weekend in really gusty wind, i reached as if to release it many times and it damned easy and reassuring. I like it alot. I havent yet tried it on my stomach but the car is waiting to drag me down the beach in a test.

Hernan - cheers, kinda had an idea on that going , but was thinking of a screw and plate in the ball so that you could tighten to your desired release pessure, but am rapidly moving away from the idea as its a tad finikety or fiddly. but thanks. - oh and I aint dead maning either yet!

Sid, thanks dude, already considering this option, but releasing on your stomach aint to easy with one of those chicken loop based releases, anfd the OR is worthy of thought.

Sooo many options eh ?

JHolzhall
Rare Poster

Postby JHolzhall » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:49 am

Having a plan for kiteboarding is important. Effectively applying that plan under pressure is the key to continued riding success and enjoyment.
Once a rider has his plan in place he must factor speed into the equation. In kiteboarding, the speed at which the kite moves often overwhelms the unsuspecting. Anticipation and training are the only ways to neutralize a kites speedpower...
Take for example the story of Patty. He had been riding for some time before similar misfortune and tragedy came knocking. Patty happened to show up on the beach at the same time the Brazilian women’s beach volleyball team did. They had planned to play, but it was far too windy. Instead they focused all their attention on young Patty. Filled with pride, Patty proceeded to self-launch as the girls watched inquisitively. Their beauty rattled him to his core. He lost his focus and only attached three of his lines. The line he forgot to attach was the waterside front line. Without this line the kite would rocket across the wind window upon launching.
Patty tensioned his lines and immediately sensed something was wrong. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t have time to figure it out. The strong wind hit the big kite harder than usual because of the missing centerline. Horror filled Patty’s eyes. He knew his kite wasn’t ready to launch. That was the last thing he remembered before his kite and body moved at warp speed across the wind window. His kite eventually caught in a tree, his body hit the ground with a thud.
Tense moments passed as Patty lay lifeless on the hill side. Fortunately, the captain of the volleyball team, Carmen Maria Dropdeadgorgous Antonio Franco was an expert at CPR.
Patty awoke to a pair of luscious red lips and emerald green eyes. He milked the CPR as long as he could. Patty then shook off the hit and re-approached his session. He was much more successful on his second launch attempt.
Rumor had it his luck continued through the night.
When he had time to reflect, he realized he should have anticipated the malfunction and avoided tragedy by getting out of the harness prior to the kite ever launching.
Again, upon review, he should have gotten out of the harness and jettisoned the kite. Safety technique #4 of 6. Jettison the kite.
Prior to launching any kite a rider should know six techniques to de-power the kite and be prepared to execute the correct one before problems arise.

Six Techniques for de-powering a Marine Traction Kite. (copy right "Kiteboarding's Simple Plan" the Book & K.I.T.E.S. teaching system)

1. Automatic Release: does the rider's leash disable the kite? Every
kiteboarding system should include a leash safety device that
spills the kite’s power when the bar is dropped.

2. Manual Release: can the rider disable the kite while still in the
harness?

3. Asymmetric De-power, can the rider asymmetrically de-power the kite? This is a potentially dangerous technique trained kiteboarder’s use. Everyone who kiteboards should understand how to safely “climb up one lineâ€

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:04 pm

Thanks for that low down on Patty's experience and luck. There is alot to be learned from these experiences. as they dont hapen so often, it is important to understand the dynamics of an event, and thru this understanding, develop an appropriate response.

Detailing the event helps loads with this, as when it happened to me, my first thoughts about preventing a reoccurance, invited reflection on the origional event. Such as the fact that I was lifted up and to the right, when in the air, if I had been using a system biased to the right, could I have releaed with the right hand or the left ? the answer is no, I was using a welded wichard, and a tie to the spreader on the left with a ball, if it had been on the right - No way hose. The system must be able to be activated from either side. Big no no.

Also, if I'd have been on my stomach getting dragged - no way too.

Unhooked - yes would have worked.

I think the guidelines for the QR's must be updated, I'm not the one to do it, the users are. All users. The manufacturers make em, and ultimatly we do most of the testing in the field once we buy or start kiting. when it comes to safety and QR's there is no time to regret and there is no time to be lazy.

To add to your list of depowers, do you think it would be good to include the fact that the release must be activate - able from stomach drag, loft, and sideways loft ?

My body remained frorward facing even tho I was lofted hard right. This small detail can mean the difference between a tree/wall, and a successful release.

Thanks again.
A User.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:I was watching a show on tv about inventions and they covered a paracute saftey release system for the main cute when you need to cut loose (underload) and deploy the reserve chute.

I'm not into skydiving, but I would imagine having a main chute twisted and spinning out of control would pose similar saftey release requirements.

Has anyone looked into those skydiving systems and tried to find out how they could be applied to kitesurfing. :?:
Keep an eye on forthcoming Ocean Rodeo products, one of the OR team is a skydiving champion!

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:25 pm

maybe he should get workin then before someone really hurts.
LoL.

R.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:46 pm

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY wrote:hi Jo - Yip i found the later pics and now seem upto date. Cheers. working on it this weekend I came up with the same as you but with an extra bearing swivel. I love the leash grab idea, as i was sailing and on land with the kite this weekend in really gusty wind, i reached as if to release it many times and it damned easy and reassuring. I like it alot. I havent yet tried it on my stomach but the car is waiting to drag me down the beach in a test.
Yeah i liked it too, make sure you're using it on a frontline leash and things do change if the bar is around the other way or you try to follow the leash down putting your hand through a fixed loop.
I think most drags will happen with the bar the right way around, you fall on it at least that's what happened to me so having the leash above the bar works well, but remember Murphy's law and if the bar is around the wrong way you can't grab the leash and follow it down from above the bar but only from below.

JHolzhall
Rare Poster

Postby JHolzhall » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:57 pm

EdDy makes a number of good points about being dragged on your stomach and not being able to activate the release. Having logged over 10,000 instructional hours on Maui (the Vietnam of kiteboarding) I have seen it happen, but more often I see riders get dragged underwater head first...they never find the release...once it happens the speedpower is too overwhelming and they are too disoriented to react. No matter the gagget it is all about anticipation.
(Self launch)As wind hits the kites canopy a center of energy is formed. The rider should initiall move towards the center of energy to spill all the kites power. Now the kite lay almost all the way open. The rider needs to "test" the kite by slowly stepping back while giving the kite "micro" sheets with the set hand. The goal here is not to self launch, rather it is to find the center of energy in the kite and begin to get a look at the lines and bladders. If there is any problem with the lines or bladders the rider should quickly move towards the kite and chose the appropriate de-power technique.
If everything looks good the rider can begin to square his center of gravity to the kites center of effort.
for this and more insight check out "Kiteboarding's Simple Plan" the Book
http://www.kiteboardcenter.com

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:30 am

Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY wrote:hi Jo - Yip i found the later pics and now seem upto date. Cheers. working on it this weekend I came up with the same as you but with an extra bearing swivel. I love the leash grab idea, as i was sailing and on land with the kite this weekend in really gusty wind, i reached as if to release it many times and it damned easy and reassuring. I like it alot. I havent yet tried it on my stomach but the car is waiting to drag me down the beach in a test.
Yeah i liked it too, make sure you're using it on a frontline leash and things do change if the bar is around the other way or you try to follow the leash down putting your hand through a fixed loop.
I think most drags will happen with the bar the right way around, you fall on it at least that's what happened to me so having the leash above the bar works well, but remember Murphy's law and if the bar is around the wrong way you can't grab the leash and follow it down from above the bar but only from below.

Good point Jo - Every sysem has its bad points, you need to be fully aware of them and test your system i every position.

Return to “Kitesurfing”