Gear: Naish Cult 9 / 13.5
Surf liquid force 6'0
Best 135 cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish custom fish 5'8 2010

Postby vincentlanouette » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:21 am

Hi, Just received my Naish Fish 2010 and the board looks is amazing ... Nice finish, good fins and the board is light and still seem very durable. Unfortunately one of the allen screw for the fwd fins was stripped. Shit you know the damn things is new, I've just contacted the shops I bought it from and will see what are my options.

On the brighter side, had a quick sessions on it anyhow, in 9 m conditions and the board deliver : very quick turning, good drive, the quad fins set up was holding good and at the same time if you release the pressure, slash like nuts. The board floats a bit less than my usual liquid force Rawson but steer better in chops. Had a quick go strapless and looks ok but will have to test longer to give a better idea.

I didn't go for the pedals to the metals since I don't know what will happen. Will come back with a better review once the board is fixed.

Vincent
5 years riding mostly on surfboard and strapless - 190 lbs

booster1111
Medium Poster
Local Beach: "rocky point" , "sugar cove"
Gear: SS RPM, Octane; North boards

Re: Naish custom fish 5'8 2010

Postby booster1111 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:16 am

Did you get a a chance to try the Global 6.2 before - since you ride strapless mostly, just wondering? Can you paddle the 5.8? Looking forward to your review :-)

vincentlanouette
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St-Jean ile d'orleans
Favorite Beaches: St-Jean , St-Anne, Shipagan, Waves, St-Gedeon
Style: strapless surf
Surf liquid force 6'0
Best 135 cm

Postby vincentlanouette » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi,

Yeah I'm thinking about the 6'2 right now and I was undecided for quite some time, but after getting feedback from guys using the 2009 fish 5'7 strapless, I figure that I might work good strapless as well. Since we have quite often strong side-on to onshore condition with mushy wave over here, the fish kind a fit better for the job.

And I will get a 6'2 pirahna for the good condition anyhow.

Leaving for britanny next week, and hopefully I will get decent conditions to try it ....strap, strapless and just surf it.

Got feedback from my shops, there working on it, there might be paying for the repair since I live quite some ways. I didn't mention last time but it's not the screw which is stripped but the insert. Anybody experienced this and know an how to fix will be welcome.

a +

Vince

sc
Medium Poster

Postby sc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:34 pm

I think that the "set screw" for the fins is the only flaw on my Global. Although mine have not stripped, yet, I am having to tighten them often. I think that a longer screw may be the answer.

booster1111
Medium Poster
Local Beach: "rocky point" , "sugar cove"
Gear: SS RPM, Octane; North boards

Postby booster1111 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Vioncentlanouette, Did you get a chance to ride the 5.8 more often by now? Strapless/strapped - looking forward to your review!

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 pm

I have a couple of questions about these very popular boards.
Can you measure the width of the tail at 12inches?
What is the rocker? I

Cheers
Stan

vincentlanouette
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St-Jean ile d'orleans
Favorite Beaches: St-Jean , St-Anne, Shipagan, Waves, St-Gedeon
Style: strapless surf
Surf liquid force 6'0
Best 135 cm

Postby vincentlanouette » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi,

I know it's been some time since my fist message but was gone for a month in France followed by one week in Hatteras. First of all got the board fixed by enlarging the existing hole and putting a new stainless steel screw in, working fine for 16 $.

The board ripped; I' ve ridding it in Brittany in side on-shore condition everyday mostly strapped since the wind was in the 7 m condition and am very happy with it. It's so smooth, turn on a dime and even if it doesen't float me so well, get on a plane very early.

In Hatteras I've ridding it in big condition mostly unstrapped and it just ripped, the board just stick to yourself not sure if it's the size or what it is ! And for jumping no worry, it's rock solid I've landed a few massive jump and there is no sign of the board getting hurt, she loves it.

My only concern for the long run since I keep installing and removing the straps that at some point the strap might become loose.... will see.
(There is no inserts in this board, you are directly screwing the strap screw in the board).

Bottom end very happy with the board, was thinking about something bigger at first but I love this size, in my taste a kite surfboard need to riding very small.

a +
Vince
6'4 - 190 lb

B-MAN
Medium Poster

Postby B-MAN » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm

Geez, didnt realise that. Surely that cant be a good design....no inserts for straps.

What naish boards do have inserts then?

scirocco77_it
Medium Poster

Postby scirocco77_it » Tue May 04, 2010 3:01 pm

this size, 5.8, is good for light wind?
Anyone has the bigger 6,0?

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Thu May 06, 2010 12:55 pm

B-MAN wrote:Geez, didnt realise that. Surely that cant be a good design....no inserts for straps.

What naish boards do have inserts then?
Hello!
More or less all strapped waveboards from all makers have inserts. What they don't have is threaded metal inserts as on the twintip boards. Instead they have plastic inserts that goes very well together with the coarse screws that are usually used on strapped wave boards. You can rest assured that you don't drive the screw directly into the foam =)

On a side note - I have a 6'2" and to not get tempted to take the easy way and ride strapped, I have put a full deck grip on my board. That way all the holes are covered and there's no other option than to keep charging unstrapped even though conditions are sometimes sh*tty.

Return to “Reviews”