Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eh Ov (Ovando) - Update

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EH OV (Ovando) - Update

Postby Maradentro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:23 pm

malden wrote:winds i try to kite 18-30knts.
That is insane to take out the 13 OV in those winds, with your 150kg / 330 LBS weight you will completely destroy a light wind kite like this in about 1/2 an hour.
If you pull the trim strap to completely depower the kite you will loose control over it, this kite was definitely not designed for use by heavy kiters like yourself.

The EH wind charts max out the 13 Ovando at around 18 knots for a 90 kg rider and Eric has been very clear that these Ovandos need an experienced pilot to truly enjoy them...

one thing I have to say, the 11M ovando is more then enough for me, I probably sell my 13 Ovando I do not enjoy those light wind days. If I can not ride my 11O then I do not want to kite.

I can hardly hang on mine over 15 knots...

Marc
Last edited by Maradentro on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horaciolyon
Rare Poster
Gear: Bow
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby horaciolyon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 am

Hi, anyone there had been able to ride an Ovando 11m? Do you agree with the suggested windrange? Low end, high end, speed?

Tks!

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 pm

horaciolyon wrote:Hi, anyone there had been able to ride an Ovando 11m? Do you agree with the suggested windrange? Low end, high end, speed?

Tks!
For my weight the 11M does excatly what the wind chart says. With 27M lines I get going in a round 12 to 13 knots, when the wind picks up I ride it on the 23 M and I have been able to ride will in to the 20's

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ed257 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:57 pm

I like my EH OV 11 so much that I ordered the 8 and it arrived Friday.

Yesterday was my first chance to test out my new EH OV 8. When I arrived at the beach it was blowing 18-20. Most riders were on 11, 12, and some 10's. I am 190 lbs (85 kg) and felt a little silly pumping up an 8 meter because normally I would also use an 11, 12 or even 13 in these winds. My kite looked so small on the beach that I thought I was going to be underpowered and would have to sine the whole session.

As I dove the kite and got underway I was pleasantly surprised by the power generated by this little kite. One dive and back up and I was going fast up wind. Really fast! Surprisingly no sining was needed. Just park and ride. How is that possible with an 8 meter, 190 lb rider on a small board? I don't know but suspect that EH has hidden a couple of jet engines in the struts or something.

A couple of seconds later I decide to send it for a boost. The kite is fast and generated a good boost easily with minimal effort and the float was very good - especially for a small kite. It was shallow inside the sandbar, so I did not try to go really big until I got outside of the shallow area. When I did get out of the shallows to deeper water I was very impressed with the huge, effortless boosting, nice float, great upwind ability, turning and speed of this kite.

The winds continued to build to about 25 with some higher gusts and the EH OV 8 handled it all easily. At this point I cannot say what the lower or upper end is for this kite, but I think it will be my go to kite from 17-27. The only negative that I noticed was that as the winds gusted past 25 I was feeling like I might be getting near the upper end. The upper end seems lower than other 8 meter kites I have owned. I could take my sonic 8 up to 35+ without a problem, but the I think the EH OV is too powerful to go much past 26 or 27.

I will know more after a few more sessions.

Ed

ps I am not affiliated with EH or any other kite company and I buy all my own gear.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 am

had now one vacation with the OV 11 in Cabarete and actually I really was the only one out on the water early in the day for one hour right on kite beach with my 128 board (with extension lines, me 80kg). Yes its impressive when the kite starts to plane on such a small board. But its not real fun as you are busy not to loose ground (old game...). Once the wind picks up and you go to shorter lines the fun begins. The kite jumps as a small kite ( high up, and fast down) where I needed some adjustments on my downloop landing technique to actually make soft landings. In the shoulder high surf the kite was great and responsive once on the short lines.

Two/three things Eric needs to improve for the next version is that he needs to add the bridle catchers on the end of EVERY stud not just the most outer ones and the front bridling needs to be just a bit shorter so it doesnt catch at the end of the struts. Both can happen easily if you wash the kite through the waves. Also a longer adjuster would be better for the old style riders with constant pull on the bar. I had to get back in the switch the lines one / two knots down to accommodate the higher winds.

Riding in high winds was not a problem at all as I am used to my 04 Cs which only know to pull hard ( which I like). I guess people who are used to bows might have issues with it. So far I havnt reached my top end on the kite where I need to get off the water. Should be a good thingy far over 20 knots. 20 is where the fun begins with the 11. It would be also interesting to ride the kite with my door to see if I still need my 16 (04 nemesis) for the light wind days. I would say yes as a loop with a 16 is just impressive to do ;-)

G

The shown wind ranges are about right I would say. Pulls more than the Ripper 13.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:30 am

ed257 wrote: The upper end seems lower than other 8 meter kites I have owned. I could take my sonic 8 up to 35+ without a problem, but the I think the EH OV is too powerful to go much past 26 or 27.
You need to change the way you think about kite sizes with the OV´s ,my 9 m Ov replaced my bigger kites ( 11 & 13 m Edges ) not only in the low end but more important also on the top end .

So , now when everybody in out on their 11/12 or 13 m kites I go out with my 9 m , if the folks are on their 9 meters I go out with my 5 m .

Saludos

Franz

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:25 am

panchito wrote:
ed257 wrote: The upper end seems lower than other 8 meter kites I have owned. I could take my sonic 8 up to 35+ without a problem, but the I think the EH OV is too powerful to go much past 26 or 27.
You need to change the way you think about kite sizes with the OV´s ,my 9 m Ov replaced my bigger kites ( 11 & 13 m Edges ) not only in the low end but more important also on the top end .

So , now when everybody in out on their 11/12 or 13 m kites I go out with my 9 m , if the folks are on their 9 meters I go out with my 5 m .

Saludos

Franz
I agree that adding 2 or 3 meters seems to be close to the power the EH OV delivers.

I never thought I would have an 8 meter LEI that would be my go-to kite for most of my riding - taking take the place of my 11. This is a pretty amazing kite.

Ed

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:13 am

panchito wrote:

Saludos

Franz
Franz,

How do you think the OV generates its power? It seems to me that the kite has a fairly high projected area, but not more than some other kites. I measured the kite against other kites and the sizes are not understated (11 is 11 and 8 is an eight). But they seem to be really efficient, as though the aerodynamics are superior to most other kites. Oddly there is strong pull even when I sheet in (static pull), so it's not as if most of the power is derived just from apparent wind.

What are your thoughts on where the power in the EH OV comes from?

Ed

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:02 am

ed257 wrote: What are your thoughts on where the power in the EH OV comes from?

Ed

Good question .... the thing with the static pull is more noticeable on the 9 that on the 5 m , the kites are not High AR but are more flatter compared to most kites out there , I think the trick is in the angle of attack together with the arrow LE design which provides the kite itself with a bigger projected area .

One thing I notice while testing the 5m in low winds , when riding around the 18 knots mark the kite was doing great , I was well powered up and able to go upwind with easy but if the wind dropped just a bit ( something the folks riding 9 m´s did´nt even notice ) the power of my 5m was gone, I sank and was not even able to water start , when the wind went up again probably just 1 or not even 2 knots I was off again having a blast .

In "normal" kites the increase or decrease of wind related to power deliver of the kite is more gradual , on the OV´s each knot difference you´ll notice immediately specially when flying them in their low low ends .

I´ve used both kites (9 & 5 ) for about 10 sessions each and still wondering what I´m going to discover on my next session ..... one thing I know now for sure , looping these kites is hella fun .

Saludos

Franz

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:06 am

How are you guys tuning the kite lines? What setting are you using for the lines and is it the same across all sizes? Should the rear lines be slack or tight for this kite? I flew a 13m, but couldn't really find a line setting I liked.

Return to “Reviews”