Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eh Ov (Ovando) - Update

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
billybob
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: EH OV (Ovando) - Update

Postby billybob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback Biggins. I can't always go by reviews from lighter riders, I actually based my purchase on your (90kg rider) earlier reviews. My extra 10 lbs hopefully were the difference between my low end and your low end. That being said, it still doesn't have the low end of a 9 Waroo. I'm down to 90kgs now, just waiting for some wind. Good to know about the gust handling abilities of the kite. It is a very fun kite to fly, if you get a chance to fly one, give it a go.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby biggins » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 pm

no worries.

Yeah, I'm suprised that you are underpowered in 18-20knots. I'm well powered in 20knots. For me kite is set at about 16knots. Although, it's far more fun at 20, and above 25knots and I'm WELL lit up. For gusts, it jumps a bit, but doesn't seem to affect flying at all. I had no issues with it in the very gusty gorge. Others complained about how gusty it was, I noticed it too, but it wasn't a problem. That place gets some crazy winds!!!! lol. but overall for me at least, 16-28 is my sweet spot for this little kite at my weight...although I'd like to lose a few kgs. The on/off switch for the kite is very obvious for me, either I'm riding with the kite set and happy, or I'm not riding at all.

A skimboard is really fun with this kite as well since it's so damn fast. My ulimate goal is to get a back roll kite loop with the 7m/skim. So far I get a kiteloop crash and hit by my own board. :) I quickly go back to the twin tip to confirm that I can still ride...but someday I'll probably quit taking the twin tip down to the beach with me as the skim is just so much more fun on the right days.

j

BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BiteMe » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:48 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
In wind too light to ride the kite does behave a little strange. My 7M has really good lowend but when the wind is less 10 mph the kite really doesn't fly well and it seems as if the rear lines are too tight. Once the wind picks up a little the line setup is spot on.
That's exactly what was happening. The wind was 8-10mph and the rear lines seemed to tight and the kite felt choked. I was flying with the bar all the way out. I even pulled the depower, but that didn't seem to help. I'll have to try it in a bit more wind next time.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Maradentro wrote:
BiteMe wrote:How are you guys tuning the kite lines? What setting are you using for the lines and is it the same across all sizes? Should the rear lines be slack or tight for this kite? I flew a 13m, but couldn't really find a line setting I liked.
I use my 13M with factory trim right out of the bag and love it, after 5 or so sessions I needed to make some adjustments to compensate for the front line strech, there are 2 extra knots on the rear leaders that allow you to make up for the front line strech quickly.

Overall verry happy with my 13 .

Mark
Mark - Did you start with both lines on the knot closest to the kite and then move the rear lines to the second knot (farthest from the kite) after the fronts stretched?

What do you weight and what are you able to ride in on the low end?

I weigh 185lbs and was hoping to be able to go in 10-13mph with this kite and a 43x148 TT. But after flying the kite on the beach in 8-10mph I'm not so sure if it will work for me in that range.

Does anyone know at what wind speed the 13m comes to life?

Thanks

sashabogi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult

Postby sashabogi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 am

I just got used Ovando 13 m and I'm not sure what are the factory settings for the lines. It came in with rear lines attached 2 knot down on the bar end. I just checked the line lengths and they were off (rears were too tight) not the same length when fully powered so I moved the rear knots to the first knot and evened them out, but the kite flew kind of slow today. So now I'm a little confused as to what the right settings are?

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 am

Sacha,
Got this from EH when I asked them the same question about bar trim,

The bar-line trim for all EH kites is the same.
Connect your lines to a fixed point, hold the bar but do not hook in, put tension on them, with the chicken loop against the bar and the trim strap at 100%, all lines should have equal tension.
The 13 gets its low end from the aparent wind, so you have to get going on the water to experience that. My technique is to I run it a little to pick up speed and then start edging upwind, from there on it's park and ride. I can get going in about 8 knots, on a flat rockered150x45 board.

Mark

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm

As I said on my reviews : The Ovandos are tricky to set up , the front lines stretch just a few cm and these kites fly like shit specially in the low end . after 10 sessions on my 9 m I had to re-stretch the rear lines to compensate the difference , the last thing these kites like is over sheeting !!!!

MY recommendation : Check the line length periodically and you will enjoy your kites much more .

Also ..... in lighter winds avoid pulling the bar all the way in when the kite flies middle in the power zone ( on a tight turn for example )

It took me a few sessions to find out the right feeling , after that it was all fine

Apart from that I love my 9m , it gets me going ( 75 kg ) on my mutant board ( 148 x 42 ) as early as 11-12 knots .... and the 5 m start at 18 knots :idea:

Saludos

Franz

pebbles
Frequent Poster

Postby pebbles » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Can anybody comment on the difference between the 13m EZE and the 13.5 OV? I really like my EZE's, but curious about the OV.

pebbles

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Maradentro wrote: The 13 gets its low end from the aparent wind, so you have to get going on the water to experience that. My technique is to I run it a little to pick up speed and then start edging upwind, from there on it's park and ride. I can get going in about 8 knots, on a flat rockered150x45 board.

Mark
Thanks Mark. How much do you weigh?

sashabogi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult

Postby sashabogi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Maradentro wrote:Sacha,
Got this from EH when I asked them the same question about bar trim,

The bar-line trim for all EH kites is the same.
Connect your lines to a fixed point, hold the bar but do not hook in, put tension on them, with the chicken loop against the bar and the trim strap at 100%, all lines should have equal tension.
The 13 gets its low end from the aparent wind, so you have to get going on the water to experience that. My technique is to I run it a little to pick up speed and then start edging upwind, from there on it's park and ride. I can get going in about 8 knots, on a flat rockered150x45 board.

Mark
Thank you,
I'll try that to tomorrow and see...

Return to “Reviews”