Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EH OV (Ovando) - Update

Postby sashabogi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:05 am

So I took my 13 out today in some light wind a little gusty on and off. It was the crazy day to say the least. I had the kite invert on me at least 5-6 times. It would usually happen as the kite was at the edge of the window and the lull would come, It would just flag out and fall on its back. But then is when the fun would start, It would sometime come off the water and start flying on its back. A couple times it literally inverted on it self and powered up backwards fly up and than fell back down leading edge on the water facing me. It wasn't gnarly or anything but it was embarrassing. I could relaunch it every time but the first time as the lines got tangled up when the kite rolled over a couple times.
I even added more air to the LE to make sure that it doesn't happen again in the middle of the session but it didn't help.
When I came back home I checked my line lengths and realized that fronts stretched by an Inch so I reconfigured them as per instructions.... I cannot wait for next time to take it out again, hopefully without any crazy inverted episodes.

kiterjohn
Rare Poster
Style: Go All Out
Gear: EH, Slingshot, Underground, NPX, Dakine
Brand Affiliation: AOK, EH, Slingshot, Underground, NPX, Dakine

Postby kiterjohn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 am

Pebbles,

There are some distinct differences between the OV and EZE 13m's.

EZE 13: lighter bar pressure, strong pull on front lines in the power zone, dedicate low-end, less top-end, extremely stable for light wind

OV 13: more direct feel and bar pressure, more equal pull on all four lines, greater range, faster turning/looping, similar power

The OV requires more advanced tuning and handling techniques than the EZE. The OV is more fun to fly than the EZE in my opinion, once dialed in. Bar pressure must be kept on the OV at all times in lighter wind. No zombie handling!
8)

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:05 pm

sashabogi wrote: I had the kite invert on me at least 5-6 times..
UHA. :idea: .. there must be something wrong with your kite .... my 5m inverted several times but it was f**** gusty going from 20 up to 35 knots and only after several messed landings .... Next time your kite invert in the water ..... crash the kite again holding ONE of the front lines .... it will make some funny stuff but it will come back to shape again .

I was testing the very top end of this kite so I wanted to find out how far I could get ......

I remember you mentioning , you bought the kite second hand .... e-mail EH and ask him about the bridle measurements .... I guess the previous owner has been messing around with that kite ...

If the wind is just too light to fly my 9 m ( or the same my 5 m ) they will fall out of the sky but thats it .... as long as you keep tension on the lines it´s all fine ....

Also if you are not using the OV bar , make sure the total length of the de-power line is no longer than 25 cm (or put a stopper ball ) cause if your line is longer and you move the bar all the way up the kite will for sure invert ....

Saludos

Franz

malden
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: lake Svityaz, north west of Ukraine
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer: speed 2sa, speed 3, speed 4, speed 5, soul, sonic3, flydoor6;
Spleene: monster door 2007,2009,2010,2011,2018, session 2011

Postby malden » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 pm

sashabogi wrote:So I took my 13 out today in some light wind a little gusty on and off. It was the crazy day to say the least. I had the kite invert on me at least 5-6 times. It would usually happen as the kite was at the edge of the window and the lull would come, It would just flag out and fall on its back. But then is when the fun would start, It would sometime come off the water and start flying on its back. A couple times it literally inverted on it self and powered up backwards fly up and than fell back down leading edge on the water facing me. It wasn't gnarly or anything but it was embarrassing. I could relaunch it every time but the first time as the lines got tangled up when the kite rolled over a couple times.
I even added more air to the LE to make sure that it doesn't happen again in the middle of the session but it didn't help.
When I came back home I checked my line lengths and realized that fronts stretched by an Inch so I reconfigured them as per instructions.... I cannot wait for next time to take it out again, hopefully without any crazy inverted episodes.
+1

sashabogi
Rare Poster

Postby sashabogi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:32 pm

panchito wrote:
sashabogi wrote: I had the kite invert on me at least 5-6 times..
I remember you mentioning , you bought the kite second hand .... e-mail EH and ask him about the bridle measurements .... I guess the previous owner has been messing around with that kite ...
Franz,
that was the first thing that i looked at and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. But i'll email EH and ask for the measurements anyway.
Also I'm using the original EH bar.

Thanks,

Sasha

sashabogi
Rare Poster

Postby sashabogi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 pm

malden wrote: +1
?

Maradentro
Medium Poster
Style: a little of everything
Gear: EH kiteboarding, Ripper - Ovando
Brand Affiliation: Love the Cabarete EH family ;-).

Postby Maradentro » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 am

Just a little trim will solve the problem, the best thing to do is to contact Eric trough his facebook page, he has always been verry helpfull

Mark

sashabogi
Rare Poster

Postby sashabogi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks Mark,
I already did, and Eric responded immediately. We are trying a couple things to get it resolved. I did buy it used though. I think it was a demo and has gone through some use. I also now know why I have and like my EH kites even though all my buddies at the beach give me shit about riding EH( I am THE only guy in Naples riding EH and I love it). Where else can you as a customer talk to the guy (unless you know him personally) that designed the kites and knows the inside and out of these things.
Customer service at its best. F'n unbelievable!!! Love it...

Now I just have to wait for some wind to get here again :roll:

Sasha

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:21 pm

sashabogi wrote: We are trying a couple things to get it resolved.
1 inch of line streatch can't really be the problem...

20m or more of kite lines will have more Play under more or less load than 1 inch.

Your best bet is to get all the stock measurements and check them against the bridle.

If something is wrong it could be that the previous owner tinkered with the kite to much.

To know where you stand you need to go back to stock setting and then explore other possibilities from there.

Also try to see if you can try someone elses Ovando and maybe do some comparisons side by side.

One thing you can also do is check to see if there is any unusual shape to the leading edge from damage or manufacturing... side by side comparison can help for this.

You may also of just had a shitty day in shitty winds.
EH say the Ovando is only for expert kiters..... takes skill to keep it under control.
With this being the case shifty shitty winds will be more of a problem with this type of kite...
what ever the brand.

horaciolyon
Rare Poster
Gear: Bow
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby horaciolyon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Finally yesterday I was able to test my new EH Ovando 11m :P . Wind was light, I didn't have an anemometer at hand but my hunch was about 12 knots, it was a cold day (10 Celsius) in Llanquihue lake, Chile. I'm 205 LB and riding a 136 board.
I was not able to ride more than a couple of hours because it was late, but I really - really liked the kite , super fast for it's size, excellent turn speed, great upwind angle and powerful. MUCH more fun to ride than my Cabrinha CB3 10.5 . With similar wind I was not able to ride comfortably with the 10.5 m... so unless CB topend is higher than OV, I wont be using CB a lot..
It seems I'll have to get the OV 5m or 7m too... but I haven’t made up my mind yet which one is the perfect companion....
Cheers :thumb: ,
Horacio

Return to “Reviews”