Forum for kitesurfers
KTA
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KTA China - first round event report

Postby KTA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 am

Well we are pleased to be able to say that the first KTA event in Xiamen China has been a complete success and all the build up and hard work from the KTA crew and the team from our local sponsor FNCN has paid off – all in the end of course is in the hands of the wind Gods who tankfully more or less played ball. So okay over the four days we had one windless, two blowing around 18kts and then a howling last day with the wind speed averaging 26-28kts.

So with that we are happy to say some awesome riding was on display in the KTA Freestyle which was eventually won by Ken Nacor (Philippines) for the men and Hill Siu (Hong Kong) for the women. Also running within the KTA was a local Greater China competition, which in Freestyle was taken by Zhang Bin Xin (China)

Earlier in the KTA we also completed the course racing competitions, which were able to take full advantage of the very large open bay here in Xiamen. In the Greater China racing, local boy Li Peng took the first place. Li then along with the other top four riders from the local event joined the racing in the full international KTA course race, which in the end was won by Narpichit Pudla Yo (Thailand) with the women’s course race taken by Hanna (Finland)

With all the main results in the bag we were also able to squeeze in an open expression session, which added a lot of excitement for the large crowds here, most of who have never seen kiteboarding before. Lai Hong Phi (Vietnam) emerged from this extra event as the winner.

Even on our no wind day we managed a good show for the people with the riders putting in some inventive runs on a finless kiteboard pulled behind the event rescue boat. The riders themselves also took something extra out of the day with most taking advantage of Dimitri Maramendes riders clinic. It was great to have Dimitir at the first KTA, not just to launch his own new kite brand Epic and signature board with Maelstorm, which I know many of you here have been busting to see happen, but also of course for the riding demo’s from which one of the highlights had to be Dimitri jumping the local Chinese fishing boats and slapping high fives with fishermen on the decks - a crowd pleaser as ever.

Sorry for those of you following the KTA and looking for the daily results etc on our Face Board, You Tube, Twitter etc Unfortunately we have been unable to break through the Great Wall of China and get updates uploaded anywhere really, including our own website. So stay with us and it will all be there during this week as we get back more free flowing cyberspace locations. Also look out for the full news item report here on Kiteforum as well.

www.kiteboardtour.asia

Mega thanks also to the KTA sponsors especially our headline local sponsor FNCN, with support from the Chine Kiteboarding Centre, Ozone and X Beach Entertainment - plus of course our tour sponsors Evason Six Sense Spa, Cabrinha, Phuket Design, SueMe and Maelstorm.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: KTA China - first round event report

Postby sarc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:15 am

Great to hear this!
A suggestion - if you want solid wind most of the time and waves too, cross the strait and come to Taiwan.
If you want nuclear wind ALL the time just cross half-way and go to Penghu

No need for a tow boat in Taiwan!

p.s. Unfettered internet access, too...

KTA
Medium Poster

Postby KTA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks Sarc.

The KTA is certainly looking at an event in Taiwan for the 2nd KTA tour next year and for sure the internet access would be nice :thumb:

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 am

There's a few shops/schools here and can hook you up if you need

Slawek aka Spooky
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby Slawek aka Spooky » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 am

hi sarc, I am very interested in Taiwanese spots ( despite the fact I know some of them already ), schools/shops. Can you point out some links or useful hints ?
right now I am still in Europe , but travel to Taiwan on regular basis , I have to 'make use' of those nuclear winds at last !
I do believe 'nothing more' than my 9sqm kite would be necessary to take :D
cheers.

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Well done KTA... sounds excellent!

Ced

Return to “Kitesurfing”