New Nomad 2010 Raceboard

Forum for kitesurfers
kakanala
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Nomad 2010 Raceboard

Postby kakanala » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 am

Aris, how long / wide / thick is this board?
thank you.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Aris,

Did I see right in the first picture, that the board carries a single middle fin option too?

Frank

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ELLINAS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 pm

kakanala wrote:Aris, how long / wide / thick is this board?
thank you.

Its 185 X 50 cm
About thickness, well its something like 6-8 cm or sometihng like that. it depends where).

Aris

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 pm

naishdude wrote:Hi Aris,

Did I see right in the first picture, that the board carries a single middle fin option too?

Frank

You got that right Frank !!!

Aris

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 pm

ELLINAS wrote:
naishdude wrote:Hi Aris,

Frank

You got that right Frank !!!

Aris

That would be interesting to see up till which size of fin you could go, in the same time, along with going bigger fin size, you should be able to move your back leg straps more to the outside of the board..........;
Frank

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 pm

naishdude wrote:...That would be interesting to see up till which size of fin you could go, in the same time, along with going bigger fin size, you should be able to move your back leg straps more to the outside of the board..........;
Frank
That would improve control going upwind. But to go deep downwind with such a wide board and really fast, the foot closer to the center is better to keep board control when the sea is choppy and you can't avoid air-time.

Back to kiterace vs windsurf, it is a piece of cake to pass by weekend windsurfers (even googd ones). Has anyone kiteraced next to windsurfing formulas?

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:21 am

Wawando wrote:
naishdude wrote:...That would be interesting to see up till which size of fin you could go, in the same time, along with going bigger fin size, you should be able to move your back leg straps more to the outside of the board..........;
Frank
That would improve control going upwind. But to go deep downwind with such a wide board and really fast, the foot closer to the center is better to keep board control when the sea is choppy and you can't avoid air-time.

Back to kiterace vs windsurf, it is a piece of cake to pass by weekend windsurfers (even googd ones). Has anyone kiteraced next to windsurfing formulas?
You are right. Big fin back- center and not too big (i use 29 cm ) improves upwind stability AND SPECIALLY the downwind ability- control. For now i dont think i will use a bigger one, because it can create strange forces...
As far to the kiterace vs winsurf, in the most of the cases its like stealling from an old lady...
Against a formula windsurf - things get a bit more challenging but again, the one who crosses the finish line first, is the kiterace.

Aris

catamarum
Rare Poster

Postby catamarum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:33 am

Aris,

This is the first time that I see a 3 fins configuration in the new generations of race boards. In your opinion, what will be the advantage if you compare with the 4 fins setup.

You are using fins size of 23 front & 22 cm back, what is the angle?

Thank you,

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Catamarum,

If i use (which i will probably not from now and on ) 4 fins its 23 front and 22 back. (very little angle- let me keep a secret.)
But for me the way to go, is with 3 fins.Thats the future. (always personal opinion).
Kite raceboards have to be driven flat. Like a windsurf.
So my setup is 23 front (maybe i will try smaller or bigger than that -we will see.) and
the 3d back- middle with the 29 cm.
Advantage : much faster (less drag) and much more control & upwind ability.
Dont...tell that to anyone !!! Let them continue with 4 fins...!!!

Aris

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Here is a video on "our" playground close to Thessaloniki (Greece) where i was kiting with my first Nomad (which is very easy to ride - the one one the left on the picture below).

On the video now...
Wind condition at that time 8 -12 knots with a 11 CB 2009. (watch the windsurfers on the backround - on the video - standing...). It looks windier but its not.
I am preparing a new video with the new NOMAD (on the right of the above picture) which is much faster and more technical to ride- and i will post it so you can see the HUGE difference of riding a board flat.)
All good new raceboards have to be ridden flat - so they are faster and more efficientat any direction. (my opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ5lN-Aum80

Return to “Kitesurfing”